What color is Saffron?

Started by d_Guy, 08 February 2018, 04:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

I am near ready to start painting somewhat over a hundred figures to serve as Highlanders at Flodden (and elsewhere). The predominate clothing color will be saffron. I am torn as to which Vallejo shade to use.

Looking at many interpretive illustrations, Golden Brown (70.877) would seem to be a match (really close to what Fierce Kitty uses as his ground cloth: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,17059.msg250486.html#msg250486 ).
Also considering Sun Yellow (72.706) and/or Gold Yellow (72.007). These last two could probably be use as highlights for Golden Brown.

Does anyone have suggestions?
Sleep with clean hands ...

paulr

Apparently Buddhist monks robes are dyed with saffron  :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

"Because Saffron was expensive, poor clansmen dyed the linen with horse urine or bark and crushed leaves to get the rich yellow colour."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/5675615/Scots-fought-in-bright-yellow-war-shirts-not-Braveheart-kilts.html
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Bet lichen got a look in as well.

I would say d_Guy, that what you want is a fairly mild browny-yellow - on the lines of a buff coat. But I would add that of the 100 figures, I would, for the sake of authenticity, use 99 different yellows. (There's always one who comes in the same outfit you do.) There may have been the odd show-off, no doubt corrupted by decadent English ways, who sported some bright jonquil tone, but they would be few and in the front rank and die quickly.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

08 February 2018, 07:56:53 PM #4 Last Edit: 08 February 2018, 08:03:32 PM by Norm
Quote from: Ithoriel on 08 February 2018, 07:11:28 PM
"Because Saffron was expensive, poor clansmen dyed the linen with horse urine or bark and crushed leaves to get the rich yellow colour."

Sounds fun, I think even if I were rich, I would do that anyway! great excuse to smell like a field, but look like a Lord.

I have always thought of Saffron as Golden Yellow.

Raider4

Quote from: paulr on 08 February 2018, 06:28:32 PM
Apparently Buddhist monks robes are dyed with saffron  :-

They're usually described as saffron-coloured, but I believe they actually use turmeric as the dye.

d_Guy

Thanks for the quick replies.
Paul - The monks wear several bright shades but the orange gold sees most abundant - it may be too reddish for the vegetable dyes in the British Isles (but various roots apparently do red, so who knows). Some interesting shades to look at, however - thanks.

Ithorial - thanks for that article - I need to look into the book mentioned.  The vegetable dye hobbyists seem to think that plants in the weld family were used and the urine was used more to fix the color then to get the primary shade (but again - who knows) - need the Scots army uniform regulations for 1513!  :D

As it happens, fsn, I use the Golden Brown for buff coats and belts so it remains a leading candidate for "saffron". As to the ninety-nine shades - I actually did that with my hodden greys (even randomly repainting ones that I had bought pre-painted) - No one noticed.  ;)
Still if I can't decide....

Quote from: Norm on 08 February 2018, 07:56:53 PM
Sounds fun, I think even if I were rich, I would do that anyway! great excuse to smell like a field, but look like a Lord.

I have always thought of Saffron as Golden Yellow.
;D
Likely the entire 16th century reeked - even without using their precious bodily fluids to dye their clothing. Golden Yellow is attractive as well.

Quote from: Raider4 on 08 February 2018, 08:36:25 PM
They're usually described as saffron-coloured, but I believe they actually use turmeric as the dye.

And I reading now, not only turmeric but several different spices which give the variety of shades.

d_Guy

Steve J

IIRC Saffron Walden in Essex gets its name from the fact that it was the major import centre for the spice in times gone by.

petercooman

Horse urine..... golden yellow.......

must resist..... shower joke...

petercooman

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Westmarcher

Urine has been used since Ancient times for dyeing cloth and softening leather. Even for gunpowder! So just be careful the next time you pee and fart ....  :-SS  :D

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/from-gunpowder-to-teeth-whitener-the-science-behind-historic-uses-of-urine-442390/

... and also teeth whitener? Come on, surely not ...  :-&
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

'fraid so. There's a poem by Catullus on the subject of an Iberian who keeps smiling to show off his teeth....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

Who first thought it was a good idea to brighten your teeth with urine? Especially first thing in the morning.  :-&

I mean, there's a certain efficiency in using a handy running liquid, but I think I'd have tried a few things beforehand.

Actually, a lot of things before considering my own wee.

Or did you use someone else's?

What is the etiquette here?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!