LotR in 10mm. So many questions. So many orcs to paint

Started by lowlylowlycook, 08 October 2017, 06:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Filled wedges, those look great.
And may I recommend the, with sour cream and chives, maybe chilli sauce too.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

I a agree on both the filled wedges basing and the wedges with sour cream and chives, maybe definitely chilli sauce too :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

04 November 2017, 02:00:53 AM #17 Last Edit: 04 November 2017, 02:09:28 AM by pierre the shy
+1 for the filled wedges - makes the Rohorrim look very good  :-bd

Like how you've done the high elf infantry basing too.....Been a while since I read LOTR but I always imagined high elves would fight in a looser formation like 100YW longbowmen rather than a sort of Byzantine Skutatoi regular heavy infantry as depicted in Peter Jackson's film version.

Not really a fantasy player but these should look very nice when completed.....please show when they are done.

May all your elves roll 6's  :)

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Ithoriel

Liking those a lot!

Very atmospheric.

For basing I use Pollyfilla or similar to give an uneven surface to the terrain and to hide bases, once set I paint it black or brown, when that's dry add a layer of pva glue and dredge in fine sand (my current lot is intended for use in flower arranging and came from IKEA), flood the dried sand with brown in, when dry dry brush with a couple of successive coats of lighter brown, more pva glue and dredge in flock, flood that with green ink, let it dry then give a couple of drybrushes to tone down the green. If I add grit/ pebbles/ twigs/ clumps of grass I paint them too - can't stand the look of painted figures and dyed flock together.

I am off course a complete lunatic to go to that length, especially given my fairly average standard of painting but I do it all the same. Old dogs ... new tricks and all that.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

lowlylowlycook

04 November 2017, 07:30:01 PM #19 Last Edit: 04 November 2017, 07:32:19 PM by lowlylowlycook
Filled wedges it is then.

Quote from: pierre the shy on 04 November 2017, 02:00:53 AM

Not really a fantasy player but these should look very nice when completed.....please show when they are done

As I meant to type before.  May you live long enough to see them done.

Quote from: Ithoriel on 04 November 2017, 03:22:25 PM

I am off course a complete lunatic to go to that length, especially given my fairly average standard of painting but I do it all the same. Old dogs ... new tricks and all that.

In the little time I've been paying attention to smaller scales, I've noticed that basing makes an even bigger difference than with 28mm minis.  Add in these large scenic bases and I think it's worth the extra effort.

Messed around with the Dunlingdings

Front Row left to right

Berserkers  (Naked Gauls)
Elite warriors (Armored Gauls)
Warband (Mostly Picts with a few Gauls)

Second Row left to right
Skirmishers (Picts and Gauls)
Cavalry (Picts)
Warband

Skirmishers in back

I was going to say that this is about all I should need for what will probably always be an allied contingent, then I realized I haven't even got the archers out yet. 

I ... might have too many miniatures ;D

Overall I think the Dunlingdings will be on some broken rock strewn ground.

Next up (after archers) is the army of the dead.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

These are all looking good - you have gone for this project in a big way!!

Rules wise:

Sword and Spear - don't know these, but from a quick read of reviews they sound interesting.

Hail Caesar - we played these extensively for fantasy games for several years. Our fantasy rules where available on the Hail Caesar Fantasy group. The command mechanism (which is linked to movement) will make or break these rules for you. You either like the stand still or zoom forward mechanism or loathe them.

Kings of War - almost the opposite of HC. KoW is almost chess like in its mechanisms. The only fight when you attack can make people love or hate the rules. They do give a quick fluid game.

Warband - not played these loads, but I do like several of the mechanisms. They are quite different mechanistically from a number of other rules.

The good news that all should work fine for LoTR, and all will work well with your basing - KoW does rather expect you to use different sized units, but you can just play with hordes if you want!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

lowlylowlycook

While I was cleaning up the Late Imperials paying special attention to mold lines on the flat shields (only Technoed my fingers a few times), I kind of came to the conclusion that I'm going to have to apply some battle damage to these guys' shields and swords to sell them as ghosts, aren't I?

Zippee

Chieftain

Official Guru of our Warband rules!

lowlylowlycook

Ghosts standing ominously on a barrow

or ghosts standing ominously on a barrow while other ghosts get to killing down below?

lowlylowlycook

I really like these Wood Elf scupts.  Should be way easier to paint than the high elves.

Basically everyone is skirmishing.  Archers and cav:

Spears and swords to the front!:

I have some forest floor molds from Basius.  Even though they are really for 28mm I might use them for these elves.  giant Mallorn leaves or something.
I guess the other thing to do is put some of these wood elves on fallen logs. 

Chieftain

Quote from: lowlylowlycook on 05 November 2017, 03:37:39 PM
Ghosts standing ominously on a barrow

or ghosts standing ominously on a barrow while other ghosts get to killing down below?

For me, "Ghosts standing ominously on a barrow" look more ominous.   :)

Note also, the barrow entrance should be framed with stones, not wood.
Official Guru of our Warband rules!