AWI Help!

Started by Alan, 31 May 2019, 03:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

Hello all,

long time since I have been on here. Like to say I have been doing noble works round the world, but erm... nope. Just moved to Montenegro.

So I still spend a little time in the UK and started reading about the AWI. Very interesting stuff and blew away a few misconceptions I had about it. Anyway, as these things happen, somehow I ended up sending Leon a bit of cash, and he is sending me some AWI figs... What have I done?? So, here is the problem.

a) No idea on rules. Read through the forum. Still none the wiser. Looking for something that isn't a broad brush rule set that can be used as, or adaptations etc. Just some advice on AWI rules would be great.

b) Basing. Dunno... I guess it ties into point a).

c) Painting. Montenegro has a population of about 600,000 people. We are fairly short on model shops. We don't even have a macdonalds... So if anybody can recommend a painter or is a painter I would love to get in touch and get these done. No rush. But I just cannot do them from here.

Appreciate all of this mihght be a long short but any help all you can provide will be greatfully received!

cheers,

Alan

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Black Powder supplement is actually pretty decent.
There is no hard and fast AWI rules set.
I would go for rule of cool, and what looks best. I ended up with a unit on 120mm widths, split into 3 x 40mm bases for columns etc.

I would offer to paint, but Dazza is THE MAN
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

On rules I use AWI figures to play Richard Borg's Commands and Colors Tricorne game, instead of the blocks which come with it. All my figures (Pendraken of course) were painted by Kev Rouse who lives and works in Hungary, and who painted many of the SYW sample figures in Leon's catalogue. His work is beautiful.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leon

Kev Rouse does cracking work as mollinary's armies and our website photos show!  Dazza's figures were painted by Jason Dawson who does our WWII vehicles, also an excellent painter.  There's quite a few painters knocking about here though so I'm sure someone else will be along soon.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

We use Volley & Bayonet at Wing scale as adapted by Greg Novak

A battalion is 2-3 stands, 3"x1.5" bases with 16 figures each at full size but you could quite happily play at half size 1.5"x3/4" with 8 figures

You can find a battle report here http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,14025.msg198808.html#msg198808

They give a great game
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dave Fielder

Welcome to AWI, it is an interesting period to research on play. Have a read of this little AWI AAR, two years old but it stands the test of time... http://wwiiwargaming.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-battle-of-cooking-pans-honours-of.html
I have my 'tricorn' 10mm Pendraken armies based on 40mmx20mm MDF bases, usually 8 figures per base. 4 bases per unit.
I painted all the figures myself, so can't really offer any advice on painters, but there are some who exist on this platform ... take a look in the painting competition pages here.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Bunny

Alan,

I recommend Black Powder and the Revolution suppliment.

As for painter I use a very good guy in Poland, Minis of War is his 'Pro Painter' name

Dazza

01 June 2019, 09:09:45 AM #7 Last Edit: 01 June 2019, 09:13:13 AM by Dazza
Hi,

As previously mentioned my collection was painted by :

Figures : Pendraken, and painted by :- Jason Dawson & AndyMac, both excellent painters and a pleasure to deal with.
Terrain : Self Made, from matchstick and cocktail sticks, and some Kallista boards - swapped for a mat-o-war now, due to Nik moaning about lines :) , S&A Scenic trees and bits.
Buildings : Timecast

I use Black Powder and Supplement, and British Grenadier (now and again)

For basing I went with :

Infantry :  20 x 20 (based in 4's)
Cavalry : 25 x 25 (based in 2's)
Skirmishers : 20 x 20  (based in 2's)
Artillery : 30 x 30  / 40 x 40  ( 3pdr / 6 pdr)
Command Units : 20mm Circular / 30mm Circular

Random elements based as i felt fitting and appropriate (single figures on 10mm circular base)

Hope this helps, if not  check out the collection for further drooling......................

> > >  AWI COLLECTION < < <

regards,

Dazza

Dazza
Dazza's 10mm Miniature Armies : http://www.ukstrike.co.uk
" AWI, Colonial, WW2 & Vietnam"

AWI Photos : https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,560.0.html

Never argue with an idiot; He'll drag you down to his level and beat you by experience.

Alan

wow.

Thanks all  for the help. Lots to chew on there! And some great painted figures!

cheers,

A.

Westmarcher

I've always fancied doing AWI but still to take the plunge. I would guess Black Powder is a good go to but debatable whether or not you need the AWI supplement, Rebellion!, because the author does not offer many (if any? - sorry, can't remember.) special rules and instead, goes through the Useful Rules (special qualities, troop characteristics, etc.) section and selects those that he believes would be appropriate for this conflict. Having said that, I've no regrets about purchasing the supplement because it has uniform & organisational details, information about 'Commanders of Note,' 19 historical scenarios and loads of eye-candy.

The issue is the main rules and the supplement will set you back about £50. Therefore, if you initially wish to devote your pounds to the services of a professional painter instead, you may wish to try out some free rules first. Here are a couple that I know of:-

Loose Files and American Scramble is an old set that I've heard good things about. May be worth using or adapting for your own use.

http://www.wfgamers.org.uk/resources/callan/lfas.htm

In the Honours of War Forum, there is also a free set of rules specifically for the Seven Years War but used by our SteveJ in a recent AWI battle. Called Post of Honour, these can be downloaded from this link. There is also a batrep on the Battle of Hubbardton that Steve recently posted.

http://honoursofwar.com/page/downloads
http://honoursofwar.com/thread/647/post-honour-battle-hubbardton-1777

As for basing, you are correct in that it will depend on the rules you use but it is also down to personal preference and reflects the look you think is reasonably representative of the era and the conflict itself. Personally, I would go for something that is as flexible and adaptable as possible so that you can use your troops for multiple rules sets and so recommend you avoid large bases.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Orcs

If a smaller scale / skirmish game is what you want Sunjester and I recently used Dan Mersey's Redcoats and Rebels rules and they gave a good game. 
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Alan

I've ordered a few...
Thats a wargaming few not a real few...
So skirmishing is possible. Fighting some battles at 1:1 ratio is also possible. I am using the excuse of "living abroad I need to seriously think about how long it will be between orders"...
I am definitely going to have a look at all the rule suggestions. Thanks again all. Really appreciate the help.

Orcs

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Orcs

Quote from: Orcs on 01 June 2019, 10:44:13 AM
If a smaller scale / skirmish game is what you want Sunjester and I recently used Dan Mersey's Redcoats and Rebels rules and they gave a good game.  

Sorry, That should be Rebels and Patriots