Task Force / Multiple Company / Mixed Battalion Level Rules

Started by Sojka, 07 September 2017, 05:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sojka

Hello.

I have noticed many rule sets either seem to be at the company level like IABSM or FoW, or they're way up the scale into operational level games at division/brigade scale. Are there any sets which lend themselves to forces consisting of a few assorted companies forming a task force? I know the US Army in particular had no problem breaking combat commands down further into mechanized "task forces" (I do not know if this is the right term, I have seen it used both in Command Decision and Battlefront WW2 rules) of 1-2 armored infantry companies along with a weapons platoon, a like number of tank companies, and perhaps a recon or engineering platoon. I believe that the German army did likewise at times. Are there any rule sets that operate like so? I ask because my friends who game, and in particular my husband, like to field such combined arms units, and I believe this to be the lowest level where such mixed forces were actually used with any sort of regularity. The way Flames of War does it it just is not for me.