Which army list for my Chaos?

Started by Hobilar, 11 May 2017, 03:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobilar

Hello People  :)

I'm reading through the rules and I'm making some starter armies from my Warmaster collection.
The High Elf and Orcs & Goblins are pretty straightforward, but I'm not sure which army list to use for my Chaos army.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Techno

Erm....Any suggestions Guys ?

But anyway.....Welcome to the forum, Hobilar.

Cheers - Phil

fred.

I've just had a scan through the standard lists, and I'm not seeing a direct fit.

Chaos, is lots of heavy infantry, heavy cavalry, some monsters, very little shooting. Which dosen't really fit any of the WB armies. I think all the unit types you need are there, so it may be a case of pulling together a list from the units in other armies, then seeing what people think. Picking the right Mage will probably be quite tricky.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fsn

Welcome to the forum Hobilar.

Doen't matter which army I use, they all end up as Chaos.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Dragon men, if you look carefully. Take men-at-arms and foot knights.
Demons, no clue!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Gargoyles for Demons ?

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

Dragon Men seem best for the Chaos Warriors/ Chaos Knights.

Barbarians for Chaos Marauders.

There are Ogres in the Warband Monster section.

No Trolls that I remember in Pendraken's ranges (except the Frost Troll which is more Yeti than Troll) but I've seen the old Rockman from the Dungeon Monsters painted in greens and greys serve as a very beefy troll.

Icarusi from the Barbarian range as Harpies. The old Gargoyle, if it's still available, could also serve as a substitute Harpy. Also there are the Elder Things and Kraken Beasts in the Dungeon Monster section if you want something very different!

No Dragon Ogres - would the Armoured Centaurs from the Minotaur range do instead?

Not sure if the old Venus Flytrap model is still around, if so it would serve as an interesting Chaos Spawn.

Best I can think of for Chaos Hounds are the old Chaos Centaurs.

For Chariots I think the Achaemenid Persian Scythed Chariot re-crewed with a Barbarian driver is the best I can come up with.

That help any? 
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

I believe the OP was asking which Warband army list he could use his existing GW/Warmaster Chaos figures for, not which Pendraken figures are good for Chaos.

Cheers, Martyn
--

Ithoriel

Oops! So he was!  :-[

Well, I guess that's a clue as to which rule set I prefer :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Luddite

Abandoning the allies and mercenaries restrictions looks like the way to go, and using a base of Dragonmen and Barbarians for warriors & marauders will probably work.  The rest, can most likely be gathered together from monsters in other lists.  

You could probably assemble a spell list by picking and choosing from those available too (with a bit of renaming).

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Hobilar

Yes, looks like using a Dragonmen base and picking odds and ends from other lists might be the way to go.

I'll use my High Elves vs Orcs & Goblins to get a feel for the system first.

Thanks guys!

:)