Whata-mistaka-ta-make!

Started by Subedai, 06 April 2017, 09:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subedai

I had to go past our local GW shop in town today and thought I'd pop in and get some of this all singing,all dancing Agrax Earthshade that people have been extolling the virtues of here and elsewhere. Had a chat with the nice man who praised GW paints to the skies saying that they were the best on the market but seemed a bit put out when I mentioned Vallejo might not agree. Walked up to the counter, he scanned the jar and asked me for £4.55. I'm telling you, if I'd had a cup of tea in my hand he would have been wearing it, I was that shocked. He then went on to justify it by saying that the paints had actually come down in price! Unfortunately there were other people in the shop and not wishing to be a cheapskate I paid for the bl**dy thing and left. Now correct me if I'm wrong but Vallejo average at about £2.50 for a 17ml bottle so how the hell do they justify that amount for a 24ml (which works out at about £3.50 in Vallejo money). Next time I won't bother...in fact I can't even see a next time! 

Absolutely outrageous!

Yours,
Thoroughly disgusted from Maidstone.

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

fred.

:D  ;D

Its alright, you'll just have to use it quick, otherwise it will dry out in the crappy pots that don't really close very well.

£2.50 is at the dear end for vallejo
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

toxicpixie

My friendly local model shop doesn't charge that much for GW paint! Or was it a "double sized" pot?

I did read that whilst the collapse of the pound had been great for export sales it was hurting them re:paint production...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ithoriel

£3.64p (plus postage) from Wayland Games.

Personally I use a wide range of hobby and artists acrylic inks for washes and shading. Some of the latter put GWs paint prices in the shade!!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Sandinista

Collapse of pound has been good for us overseas gamers :-)

Cheers
Ian

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Have some cheap figures courtesy of Xenophobic, Myopic Bigots R Us!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

petercooman

Let's keep politics away from a thread about paint pots, we have enough of that nonsense in our life already  :)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Agreed, lets whitewash over the political before us moderators turn the air blue!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Leman

Unfortunately  Sandinista's comment demonstrates that politics affects all aspects of life, including wargaming as a hobby. A trip to Antwerp now becomes more expensive for the British gamer wanting attend Crisis, figures become more expensive owing to a fall in the pound whilst metal imports are paid for in dollars; and, Peter, you are not about to have your European citizenship revoked.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Wulf

And we're leaving you because you're leaving them.

Wulf (Scottish)

p.s. I use the Army Painter Shades myself

Subedai

Quote from: toxicpixie on 06 April 2017, 09:25:29 PM
My friendly local model shop doesn't charge that much for GW paint! Or was it a "double sized" pot?[/quote

If 24ml is a 'double' pot then yes, that's what it was.

Normally I use Magic Wash and just wanted to try it out for a bit of variety. Now I don't think I will even break the seal and open the bottle but will leave it sealed for a few years and see how much some sucker will pay for it on Fleabay. :)

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

toxicpixie

Yep, that's a double pot!

Tbh looking at eBay and my pension fund, investing In Lead might have been a better option :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

petercooman

Quote from: Leman on 07 April 2017, 01:13:27 PM
Peter, you are not about to have your European citizenship revoked.

No need to tell me about that. Just asked that a thread about paint stays free of politics  :)

Start a thread in the chat and news section if you want, but no need to take a punt at it in here.