Stand To - Shildon [Nr Darlington] - 16th Oct - Wargames Fair

Started by Roy, 29 September 2016, 01:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

Free admission.
Wargames to either look at or play.
Wargames stuff to buy.
Actual, real life, Locomotive Engines and Train Stock.
WW2 British Cruiser Tank.
Free car parking, with plenty of space.
Toilets.
Well lit.
Seating.
Cafe.
Big, clean, spacious museum as the venue.

See you there?
http://www.nrm.org.uk/PlanaVisit/VisitShildon
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Roy

Dave D's going to be there with his Sudan game (he's also at Battleground at Stockton). Here's some photo's of his game

And his blog
http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

skywalker

Redcar Ironbeards will be there. 15mm WW2 desert action so if you are going please come and have a natter or better still join in  :) :) :)

Roy

Sands of the Sudan At Shildon Show 2016

Pre-Show Set Up

The British Relief Column

The besieged settlement, guarded by Egyptian Infantry & British Engineers.
Also, being the whole point of the game, the General's Daughter - who needed rescuing!

Me. The chap who caused a riot in the native village early in the game, then buggered off for dinner!
Captain Roy Williamson, VC

Lots more pictures, and story, to be found here
http://nevermindthejankers.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/sands-of-sudan-at-shildon-show-2016.html

Roy

Skywalker, I've a couple of shots of your game - but only the very early stages, from when I did my walk around the show.
Not got them sorted through, as of yet.

skywalker

No problem Roy.
What was your opinion of the show?
I thought it was disappointing, perhaps gamers have long memories. The first show in 2014 was good and well attended, last year it was very poor, possibly because the organisor did not promote it.
The venue is not ideally suited for wargaming/traders but as it is a free event I could overlook how the stands/tables were spread out.
I hope it will be run again next year but it needs better promoting  :-\ :-\

Roy

17 October 2016, 01:34:30 PM #6 Last Edit: 17 October 2016, 01:36:04 PM by RoyWilliamson
Well, if I'm being honest (and these are my own - Roy Williamson's - true opinions)

Venue is great.

Show set up is rubbish. Having half the traders around the corner, hidden away behind engines or next the bogs isn't ideal. I don't know if there was a limit as to how many tables /traders could be staged in the front area, but the current practice of splitting us all up is counter-productive.

Chap running the show, on the day and via the computer running up to the show, is great. He couldn't have been more helpful. He really needs to make sure everyone knows that he is the chap running the show, however. People kept asking me, "who's running the show?"

Promoting. I only got to one local(ish) show before this one - York, in February - and there was leaflets for Shildon. Due to our van being scrapped I didn't get to Stockton/Durham/Gateshead, so I don't know if there were other leaflets.
I don't buy magazines, so don't know if the show was mentioned in them.
I didn't see any promotion on the Internet. People came up to me at the show and said they only knew about it due to me mentioning it on my blog or forums. People said the same last year, too.

I think the traders had another poor show. This is only what I picked up when overhearing them talking amongst themselves post-show.

I was disappointed that some of the games that had said would be there didn't turn up. Also, the bring and buy that had its table set up but also didn't show. It was also noted by a few local people, who mentioned their views to me, that they thought it was pretty poor for local clubs / groups not being there. Fair enough, I don't know the reasons, nor have any issue with any absences. But several others noticed omissions and remarked to me about it.

Purchases at the show, I spent £17.00. £12.00 of which to Col. Bills, which I'll paint up and then sell back, probably. £5.00 to Four A Miniatures, on a couple of figures suitable for 7TV and BloodBowl. There was nothing else there that I wanted, unfortunately. I was hoping that Midlam Miniatures would be there, as I'd a mind to buy a few things, but they weren't. £1 I gave for the Tea/Coffee pre-show. £2 I gave as a donation to the museum. So I spent £20.00 in total.

I was told by Stu (Col. Bills) that the chap running the show has booked the venue for next year.

Advertising the show is obviously the issue (but that is a case of expenses and ability). Getting traders and games that people want to visit, is another. The chaps I spoke to all said that the time of the year and venue were great, to their minds, so couldn't understand why the show just doesn't take off. I also know some people, not there yesterday, saw what the 2nd event was like, and so didn't venture this year (as you pointed out).

One thing that was mentioned to me was trying to get the show to host a gaming competition. As that is a good way to get some more visitors in.

If its on next year, I'll be there.

howayman

I went to the 2014 show.
This one, what can one say, very few traders,even these are scattered about.
Nice venue with potential i think.
Could do better would sum it up.

Techno

Nice piccies on the blog, Roy.

Shame the show didn't live up to its potential.

Cheers - Phil.

Roy

jimduncanuk

To be fair, this show is the day after SKELP which is a small but very successful show in Scotland.

I imagine this would limit the number of Scots who would come south of the border on the day of Stand To.

These same Scots are very evident at shows in Gateshead and York so we know that they do travel.
My Ego forbids a signature.

howayman

Must get that wall fixed. That should slow them down. . .  ;)

Roy

18 October 2016, 10:47:30 AM #12 Last Edit: 18 October 2016, 10:50:12 AM by RoyWilliamson
I agree with you, Jim.

The Scottish travelling wargamers are a frequent sight at the NE shows, so a few might have travelled down if SKELP hadn't been the day before (in truth, if any had asked me if they should venture down to the show, I'd have recommended not to - Any place further than an hour away is too far to travel for the Shildon show, as it really is a very small, local show).

I'll just say (for anyone having read my previous comment), no body I spoke to expected any Scottish clubs / individuals to be at Shildon. It was the clubs / groups who were 5-10 miles away that were noted by their absence.

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.