Crusader Pilgrims

Started by Druzhina, 09 September 2016, 06:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Most are gravestones of knights in churches, the old wives tail is crossed legs on a memorial means the internee was a crusader...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Thought the Crusaders were shown by crossed hands on the image ?

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

cameronian

09 September 2016, 08:10:58 AM #4 Last Edit: 09 September 2016, 08:14:08 AM by cameronian
Beautiful crusader tomb in Barmston of all places (east riding of Yorkshire). Very modest little church, bit of a barn really, but the tomb - beautiful.

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

FierceKitty

Beards? Tails? I may have to repaint my pilgrims!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Westmarcher

Quote from: ianrs54 on 09 September 2016, 07:09:52 AM
Thought the Crusaders were shown by crossed hands on the image ?

IanS
I once read it's crossed legs if you had been on Crusade (or been a Knights Templar), straight legs with feet resting on a dog if you died 'peacefully' at home. Sword, if died in battle?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

Crossed eyes if your heirs welshed on paying the sculptor.

cameronian

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

fsn

a) Is this all true?
b) For what period is it true?
c) If the whole thing about equestrian statues true as well?

Was it convention, or "da larw"? Surely some poor old knight lying peacefully on his deathbed and said "I don't like dogs. Make it a cat." would not be gainsayed?

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

After losing his horse, Sir Bohemonde was offered a St Bernard as an emergency remount, prompting the plaintive reply "You wouldn't send a knight out on a dog like this!"

Ithoriel

Various animals were carved at the feet of knightly effigies.

I was always told that a dog indicated the fidelity of the departed - religious not marital.

I remember seeing a tomb somewhere with an ape at the feet of the knight, apparently because an ape was part of their heraldic charge. I saw a lot of churches/ abbeys/ cathedrals as a child when holidays involved driving around the country visiting relatives and being taken sightseeing so can't remember exactly where.

I was also told that the sword on the chest was more to do with martial aspiration than martial achievement. The same bloke told me that knights travelled with a cauldron if they travelled abroad and if they died while away from their home country they would have the flesh boiled from their bones and the bones and embalmed heart would be returned to their family. No idea if either of those are true but as a mid-teenager they were fascinating.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

cameronian

Quote from: Ithoriel on 09 September 2016, 01:24:03 PM
Various animals were carved at the feet of knightly effigies.

I was always told that a dog indicated the fidelity of the departed - religious not marital.

I remember seeing a tomb somewhere with an ape at the feet of the knight, apparently because an ape was part of their heraldic charge. I saw a lot of churches/ abbeys/ cathedrals as a child when holidays involved driving around the country visiting relatives and being taken sightseeing so can't remember exactly where.

I was also told that the sword on the chest was more to do with martial aspiration than martial achievement. The same bloke told me that knights travelled with a cauldron if they travelled abroad and if they died while away from their home country they would have the flesh boiled from their bones and the bones and embalmed heart would be returned to their family. No idea if either of those are true but as a mid-teenager they were fascinating.

Edward I bones in a box, carried into battle.

Westmarcher

Wishful thinking, Cam (well, certainly in Edward I's mind). But when he died (at Burgh on Sands) they thought b**ger that idea and went home.   :)