You Tube finds

Started by fsn, 20 August 2016, 12:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

I have recently been watching videos by Perun. He's Australian (let's not hold that against him) and does longer, thoughtful videos on the Ukraine situation. For example:

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Heedless Horseman

Sounds evaluated. Inclined to agree.
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

pierre the shy

Centenary of Machine Gun Corps Disbandment Commemoration Demonstration

16 Vickers MG's firing simultaniously.....Now I see why MG companies in If the Lord Spares Us get so many dice  when they fire  :o

Judging by the amount of water and steam pouring out of the guns later in the video they must get incredibly hot after firing for a while, even if they only fire 50 rounds per engagement (from the sound of the orders given at the start of the video).....handy if you want a cup of char after an engagement though  ;)   

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: pierre the shy on 06 July 2022, 12:08:47 PMJudging by the amount of water and steam pouring out of the guns later in the video they must get incredibly hot after firing for a while, even if they only fire 50 rounds per engagement (from the sound of the orders given at the start of the video).....handy if you want a cup of char after an engagement though  ;)   

Given the nature of the liquid use a brew is not indicated. Yes they do get very hot indeed.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

QuoteGiven the nature of the liquid use a brew is not indicated. Yes they do get very hot indeed.

Indeed, my ex's godfather used to tell the tale of winding up in a dugout with a number of Vickers guns during a German attack in the desert. If there were any particularly prim ladies present he would delight in explaining why, having had a particularly liquid lunch with the officer in charge, he was well placed to help keep the MG's water tanks filled!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

pierre the shy

Great story Mike!

Might explain why some other contemporary makers choose air cooling rather than water cooling?

Anyway I prefer coffee myself  ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Heedless Horseman

07 July 2022, 02:32:13 AM #756 Last Edit: 07 July 2022, 02:46:53 AM by Heedless Horseman
My Grandfather was a Driver on Water Carts in the MGC in WW1. Lots of water needed. Not such a 'cushy' job... had team killed under him. Had 'altercation' with Officer in trench over a 'reluctant' soldier...punched Officer... and was, I think, 'Lucky' to get FP1... and be put on Gun Crews. Regarded as 'Death Sentence' as MGs high profile targets. Knee injury meant he survived.
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Raider4

Foldable Portable Table:

I love this idea! Especially the folding bit. Brilliant.

steve_holmes_11

QuoteIndeed, my ex's godfather used to tell the tale of winding up in a dugout with a number of Vickers guns during a German attack in the desert. If there were any particularly prim ladies present he would delight in explaining why, having had a particularly liquid lunch with the officer in charge, he was well placed to help keep the MG's water tanks filled!
The popular term by WW2 was "We carried our own water".

fsn

Quote from: Raider4 on 20 July 2022, 06:55:09 PMI love this idea! Especially the folding bit. Brilliant.
That's clever!  :)
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Raider4 on 20 July 2022, 06:55:09 PMFoldable Portable Table:

I love this idea! Especially the folding bit. Brilliant.

Yes, I made a two piece version, plywood with a wooden frame and an enormous piano hinge. Fitted inside my car boot but now I have a smaller car.

It still gets hauled out at Christmas and can seat eight over two smaller tables.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Raider4

QuoteI love this idea! Especially the folding bit. Brilliant.
The Range has a pack of two black canvas for £4.99 - link.

Think a visit might be in order.

Raider4

Like this idea as well (although not so fond of the presenter's style - quite irritating):

John Cook

Quote from: Raider4 on 21 July 2022, 12:41:59 PMquite irritating

Only quite irritating?  I don't think that as adjectives go, irritating is adequate.  After a couple of minutes I realised what can drive people to kill.

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: John Cook on 21 July 2022, 11:50:53 PMOnly quite irritating?  I don't think that as adjectives go, irritating is adequate.  After a couple of minutes I realised what can drive people to kill.

Back of the queue John, back of the queue...
Arma Pacis Fulcra