1813-15 Napoleonic Prussians released!

Started by Leon, 17 July 2016, 11:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad

Subedai

As far as I know the fusilier description you give is the pre 1808 uniform, when there were separate battalions. The 1813 fusiliers are the 3rd battalion of line regiments with the only distinction being black leatherwork as opposed to white for the 1st and 2nd battalions

fsn

The Osprey illustration did say a 6pdr.

Taking off the base then the gun would be about shoulder height.

I just wonderered if someone was going to say "Ah! It's a 1812 BangenBustenvonKnockenOffer from the Lippe Armoury which had small wheels because the trees around Lippe weren't very big around" or something similar. Obviously I'm better informed that I thought, but less observant.

Wonder from how high they had to drop those girls to get them that stuck in the sand.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

19 July 2016, 01:55:42 PM #32 Last Edit: 19 July 2016, 02:46:46 PM by petercooman
Quote from: fsn on 19 July 2016, 01:33:02 PM

Wonder from how high they had to drop those girls to get them that stuck in the sand.

YEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

FierceKitty

Quote from: fsn on 19 July 2016, 01:33:02 PM

California? Just tell them it's a whole new far-out experience to bury their own heads in the sand (and, if that doesn't work, add it's how Julia Roberts got noticed at the start of her career).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Subedai

Quote from: Chad on 19 July 2016, 12:21:00 PM
Subedai

As far as I know the fusilier description you give is the pre 1808 uniform, when there were separate battalions. The 1813 fusiliers are the 3rd battalion of line regiments with the only distinction being black leatherwork as opposed to white for the 1st and 2nd battalions

According to Nash, The Prussian Army 1808-1815, Almark Publications, 1972 (my copy is only held together by the thinnest of binding threads, a lot of love and even more careful handling), has diagrams on p. 18 of fusiliers with waist pouches; it still held true that the III Battalions were fusiliers wearing blackened equipment. Another difference between them and musketeers is that the latter usually painted a white circle on their waxed shako covers while the fusiliers left theirs plain.
Also if you follow this link, you will see in the painting by Knotel (second picture down) that the far left figure is that of a fusilier in summer trousers and a cartridge pouch on a waistbelt. 

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Prussian_infantry.htm#_uniforms

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

NTM

20 July 2016, 06:00:42 AM #35 Last Edit: 20 July 2016, 06:13:10 AM by NTM
The white circle was not unique to fusiliers it was used by all that participated in the 1812 Russian Campaign. The idea that fusiliers used a waisbelt stems from a Knotel plate which actually depicts a NCO in a particular dress order (just checked that link which shows the very plate). All this was explained in the Osprey Warrior volume IIRC. So fusiliers did actually use a crossbelt and the distinction was the style of sword carried which was straight bladed and without handguard.

Here's another Knotel plate showing fusilier with crossbelts

Rob

Brilliant, I've been looking forward to these. I'll have a corps worth please.  :)

We now need the Young Guard infantry to fight them, and Russians.  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Cheers, Rob  :)

Rob

Couple of questions:

What does landwehr the left hand figure represent? Is his left leg forward?

The right hand horse of the uhlan figures, is this horse standing still as opposed to the canter pose of the other horses?

Thanks, Rob  :)

Leon

Quote from: Rob on 22 July 2016, 11:44:47 AM
What does landwehr the left hand figure represent? Is his left leg forward?

The sculptor notes says "Sergeant/private with pike on shoulder".

Quote from: Rob on 22 July 2016, 11:44:47 AM
The right hand horse of the uhlan figures, is this horse standing still as opposed to the canter pose of the other horses?

Yep, standing pose while the others are in that 'leaping' into the charge type pose.  He's not reacted to the order as quickly as the others...!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Dragoon

Quote from: old smokie on 17 July 2016, 11:51:16 PM
nice  :) 8)

when are the Brunswickers due

More importantly what about the 1/23rd. Foot The Royal Welch Fusiliers?  Waterloo

Not forgetting The 1/7th. Royal Fusiliers. In march 1815, Jersey America. April 1815 Portsmouth so would still be wearing the Stovepipe shako.
Or the 21st Fusiliers off the coast of America then occupation of Paris
The 7th and 21st both served in the Peninsula as did the 23rd
there doesn't appear to be any Light Infantry in stovepipe shakos.
Regards

Mike L

Dragoon

Quote from: Le Manchou on 18 July 2016, 01:55:08 AM
Excellent Leon, very nice figures and I still need 2 Prussian corps and the Guards!

Guards? when did they see action?

From memory the Prussian Guard Regiments Zu Fuss never saw action as they weren't in the Army of the Lower Rhine.
Regards

Mike L

Chad

Mike

Correct. They saw no action in 1815

Pete

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Quote from: mad lemmey on 02 August 2016, 10:34:34 AM
But they did between 1813&14!

Making an immeasurably short period! One for the quantum physicists.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Though sometimes a minute seems to go so slowly.  :D
Cheers - Phil