Claymore, Edinburgh

Started by Leon, 14 July 2016, 12:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kodiakblair

Was a strange day. No figures or rules bought  :o 

3 winning raffle tickets  :) but the prizes were AWOL. Wasn't alone in this,saw 3 others told the same thing in the couple of minutes
I was there.

Magister Militum didn't have the 3mm command packs I was after. Got told it was mainly young kids interested in my B&B items so dropped
prices to pocket money level. 5 mins later spotted guy mid 50s with the lot.

Still, there were plenty of real beards in attendance :-bd

Techno

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 06 August 2016, 09:23:49 PM
My show report is at:
http://jim-duncan.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/my-day-at-claymore-2016.html

Thanks to you, too, Jim !

Nice piccies , again. Looks like a really nice venue !
Can I see Mike (Ithoriel) in one of the shots ?

Westie......I'm guessing you saw Leon's other half....Or as Nobby refers to her....'Milady'.

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Quote from: Techno on 07 August 2016, 08:20:30 AM
Westie......I'm guessing you saw Leon's other half....Or as Nobby refers to her....'Milady'.
Let's hope so. Otherwise there may be questions in Middle Borough.  :(

Unless Dave's finally decided on a change in life style.  :-\
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 07 August 2016, 08:36:34 AM
Unless Dave's finally decided on a change in life style.  :-\

OIK !!
(For the second time, this morning.)

Cheers - Phil

Leman

Reading this whilst listening to "I'm Raving" with bagpipes playing "Scotland The Brave" in the background. Strange to say the least.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

Thanks for the kind comments.

Was very pleased with the pictures myself given they're just taken with my Samsung J3 smartphone.

d_guy, I started taking pictures of the signs outside of the castles and country houses I visited when I realised I had photographs and couldn't remember where they were of! Started doing the same with shots of convention games for much the same reason.

Jim, some great shots there. Despite my best intentions I never seem to remember to take shots of the show as a whole or of the people there. Loved the close up of the battleship.

We arrived at the show around 11am, stayed until somewhere after 3pm and headed back up to the city centre. I'd just left my nephew with my sister and headed off with my cousin when the heavens opened so we retired to Bella Italia on Hanover Street for a meal, just beating the crowds of others with similar ideas! Good food and great service despite being packed to capacity.

Leon & Adele and Pete Berry of Baccus were staying on in Edinburgh for a few days after the show. Despite predictions of torrential rain, weather so far today has been good. Hope they're enjoying themselves.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Quote from: Techno on 07 August 2016, 08:51:09 AM

OIK !!
(For the second time, this morning.)

Cheers - Phil

Aw! A double Oiker! I'm so proud!  :'( :'( :'(
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

Quote from: fsn on 07 August 2016, 10:33:18 AM
Aw! A double Oiker! I'm so proud!  :'( :'( :'(

I think that means you get a free go
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Ithoriel

Only if we're playing the South Kensington variation where it's legal to ignore stations if they cannot be approached obliquely.*

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mornington_Crescent_(game)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Fenton

When me and my mates play and using the SK variation we allow the approaching of land mark stations like Scotland yard to be disregarded

I stress these are house rules and not in the official pack but we feel it adds more depth to the game
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

And I have just received a letter from Mrs Trelis of North Wales.....

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Quote from: Fenton on 07 August 2016, 11:46:35 AM
When me and my mates play and using the SK variation we allow the approaching of land mark stations like Scotland yard to be disregarded
I stress these are house rules and not in the official pack but we feel it adds more depth to the game

No....I'm sorry....If you go through the Mornington Crescent rules really properly, you'll find that's been completely outlawed.
Even for house rules !.....Heretic !

Quote from: ianrs54 on 07 August 2016, 11:57:20 AM
And I have just received a letter from Mrs Trelis of North Wales.....IanS

Leave my Great Aunt out of this.

Cheers - Phil

Fenton

Your living in past Phil

Your probably still using  1950's Dixon supplement which stated ' when proceeding in  a northly direction you 'must always  turn right at a police box'

House rules can be fun although we did have to black ball someone for trying to go via High Wycombe once

Techno

Dammit.....You're right, S.  X_X

I just can't keep up with all these modern supplements.

(Do you think more than 5% (?) of the forum have the slightest clue as to what's being talked about.)  ;)

Cheers - Phil

Westmarcher

Speaking on behalf of the forum .......

....... what the ........  :-/

@ Mike / Ithoriel - I can't believe we missed each other. I was there from 1.55 to 3.35. We must have passed each other by or at the very least been in the same immediate vicinity.  :o
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.