Discounts?

Started by Leon, 17 February 2016, 01:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

Quote from: Leon on 17 February 2016, 05:39:38 PM

500g upto 1kg packages to Australia is about £12 I think, so we usually lose money on the small-mid range Aus/NZ orders.  Anything over 2kg is pointless sending through Royal Mail as it's extortionate, so we have to move to couriers on those ones.

Looked that one up and that's 15,60 € for us upto 1 kg :)

Womble67

My personal take on discounts is I'd never ask for one but its nice when the vender puts a little something in your order. Maybe only a couple of extra figures but that for me is a really nice touch.

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Heedless Horseman

At 'Border Reiver', I used to GO for the 6 for 5 offer from a major stand...used to think; "What else could I want to flesh the buy out with?" !!! I now have piles of stuff that I may never get round to doing anything with...still, I enjoyed the feeling of getting something cheap, and at £12.00 or £6.50 an item, it was worth it.   ;D
I think it just depends on the spend. On the internet, buying is addictive so small buys more often mean that discounts are less important than service and quality for 'regular' wants...however, for major buys such as a 25mm battalion, I would wait for a 'sale'.
A lot also depends on the product supplier. Stuff imported from the USA  is more expensive, it often comes in larger packs and shipping to the vendor means bulk buys are more are more attractive at sale price. For producers like PenD, I think the quality and service are more value...and for smaller outfits, gamers just want the firm to keep in business for the future.
The odd extra figure in a bag is a good find...there are suppliers who sell short and, if it is a frequent occurrence, you wonder whether it is just a slip or intentional.   >:(   This can be a turn off if a missing figure was essential to complete a unit. For REALLY small items like mgs or 1/285 turrets, extra bits are almost essential as deformed mouldings and 'fiddly losses' can be a major disappointment.
PenD is doing it right by me!   ;)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

When I used to live in Shrewsbury the 'Marcher' show once did a discount on Mars Bars, buy 1 for 25p, 2 for 50p!
The amount of people who bought 2 because they were on offer!!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

And God said, "Let there be idiots."
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Roy

Buy one for the price of two. And get another free!

I think all Pendraken Orders should be despatched with a hand-drawn, stick figure drawing included!
To save on costs, drawings scrawled upon old newspapers would be acceptable  :)

I'll stop now, as I'm just being silly  :o
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Tawa

Discounts you say?

Heh, if I get given a discount on a decent-sized order, bargain! I'll probably spend that saving on more toys anyway. I'm not one to expect or go looking for a discount though :)
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

Ithoriel

Quote from: mad lemmey on 21 February 2016, 07:38:30 AM
When I used to live in Shrewsbury the 'Marcher' show once did a discount on Mars Bars, buy 1 for 25p, 2 for 50p!
The amount of people who bought 2 because they were on offer!!

Local supermarket had a "deal" last year, 1ltr fruit juice 95p or 2 for £2. Cashier couldn't understand why I wanted them put through separately when they were part of a deal. Worse still, the two ladies behind me in the queue hadn't realised, until they saw what I was doing, that anything was wrong with the deal!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

d_Guy

Sorry for the late entry - not sure I'm adding anything new.
Do you ever ask for discount on your gaming goodies?
No - I haggle for unique items in flea markets and antique stores (where often the markups are outrageous to allow for haggling)
For 10mm stuff in particular I want everyone to stay in business and assume everything is priced to do just that.

Is there a certain value of order that you expect a discount on?  (Over £50, over £100, etc)
I don't expect it - I have already overcome the psychological barrier that prevents me parting with my money. If a manufacturer wants to gift me with a few more things to stick in my order that is just gravy! This happens sometime for really large orders but I have no expectations of it.

Should a discount be expected on larger orders?
See above - although frequency of orders might be another consideration - or for those ranges that are not at the moment popular.

How much discount makes it worthwhile?
Well that's like asking how big a coin does it need to be to bend down and pick up?  I pick it all up even when it only looks like it might be a coin. So anything you want to give me that doesn't hurt your bottom line I'm happy to receive

I like the Army Packs that Pendraken offers - a great way to jump into a period and with a built in discount.
A competitor sells an annual membership for  $50 - which gets you about 25% of everything they sell. So if you are buying over .$250 per year it's worth it.

Shipping to the States is expensive but I view it as punishment for not living in Britian😀
I have no idea if you add a handling charge.

Me - I hope you guys are going strong when I have joined the pool of souls.
Just waiting for the dang stone walls to be in inventory so I can order them and some FPW army packs. 😀
Sleep with clean hands ...

WeeWars

On Saturday, at my first outing selling at a wargames show:

Customer: Am I your first customer?

Me: No.

Customer: Can I have a discount for being your first customer?

Me: On a £1 purchase?
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Should have said : "99p, but you're not getting a bag then"  ;D ;D ;D

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Roy

Quote from: WeeWars on 22 February 2016, 10:10:30 AM
On Saturday, at my first outing selling at a wargames show:

Customer: Am I your first customer?

Me: No.

Customer: Can I have a discount for being your first customer?

Me: On a £1 purchase?

I would have told them they could have their picture taken, shaking your hand and be immortalised as the first customer. As to a discount yes, 0.5% rounded up to the nearest penny.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

WeeWars

But he wasn't my first customer.  :)
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Was the first without shame though  ;D