New WWII and Modern vehicles released!

Started by Leon, 28 August 2015, 01:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

Don't get me started on the Maus & the E series :D WoT has a lot to answer for!

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ithoriel

I've had a Maus model since the days of the Kummersdorf scenario in Steel Panthers, long before World of Tanks!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

31 August 2015, 11:55:54 AM #32 Last Edit: 31 August 2015, 12:55:37 PM by toxicpixie
Cor, I loved Steel Panthers! *nostalgia

Tried to get it running on my newish machine a couple of years ago. It was not happy, sadly.

I'll let you off, Ithoriel - not sure about everyone else ;) I do wonder if WoT is a symptom as opposed to a cause...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Dave

Quote from: toxicpixie on 31 August 2015, 11:39:20 AM
Don't get me started on the Maus & the E series :D WoT has a lot to answer for!

ooops :-[ I have one completed  :'( ready to mould the turret

Dave

Sunray

Quote from: toxicpixie on 31 August 2015, 10:24:49 AM
All the above suggests that the Conquerer will sell - it has the same cachet as the King Tiger (which did see action but didn't prove useful, the relative few of which even made it out the assembly line :D). Both are big, hefty terrifying beasts whose looks and mystique far outweigh their battlefield utility.

Should have got more useful working tanks in Greater numbers....AMEN !

If I hadn't gone for Pentomic era-ish in 6mm I'd be tempted myself with Cents & Conqs... Assuming there's a good Saracen model about :D

Tank warfare analysis shows that the Tiger II was a useful bit of kit in hull down defence with a few pre-prepared positions.  I remember a Tank jockey from the Royal Irish Hussars lecturing us on 'how they had lifted the iDinD (defence in depth)  use of the Chieftain from the Tiger II against the Soviets'.  Like the Tiger II  old Smokey Joe with its Leyland Multi fuel 2 stroke was a give away if it had to move too often.   But if a troop were static with a covering company of infantry, with CGs, 66LAWs and GPMGs there was a confidence that you could cause problems for the hordes of T55s, APCs et al.

At some point with all this Cold War kit and presumably gamers to buy/play with them we will need a few Warsaw Pact infantry circa 1960s.

Dave

Quote from: Sunray on 31 August 2015, 02:54:41 PM
Tank warfare analysis shows that the Tiger II was a useful bit of kit in hull down defence with a few pre-prepared positions.  I remember a Tank jockey from the Royal Irish Hussars lecturing us on 'how they had lifted the iDinD (defence in depth)  use of the Chieftain from the Tiger II against the Soviets'.  Like the Tiger II  old Smokey Joe with its Leyland Multi fuel 2 stroke was a give away if it had to move too often.   But if a troop were static with a covering company of infantry, with CGs, 66LAWs and GPMGs there was a confidence that you could cause problems for the hordes of T55s, APCs et al.

At some point with all this Cold War kit and presumably gamers to buy/play with them we will need a few Warsaw Pact infantry circa 1960s.

thats the plan starting from 50's onwards

Dave

toxicpixie

The problem with nicking German doctrine is that it didn't work - either against the Russians or the Western Allies... And a primary weapon system that's only useful when on the defensive is also a bit defunct. You could do the same thing cheaper in greater quantities... If it can't manouvre and fight you WILL be either bypassed and rendered pointless or hit with enough to break you no matter the cost to the attacker.

But that's beside the point - my point is that Conquerer will probably sell well, as it's a very shiny & impressive looking price of kit, and such things tend to attract attention from gamers :)

Sunray

Quote from: toxicpixie on 31 August 2015, 07:05:41 PM
The problem with nicking German doctrine is that it didn't work - either against the Russians or the Western Allies... And a primary weapon system that's only useful when on the defensive is also a bit defunct. You could do the same thing cheaper in greater quantities... If it can't manouvre and fight you WILL be either bypassed and rendered pointless or hit with enough to break you no matter the cost to the attacker.

We in BAOR had an estimated maximum of three days for clearer heads to prevail - and maintain defence in depth- and its not WW1, being bypassed if you have armour is not a hopeless situation - the WP doctrine was to attack in two combined arms echelons.  We would have  been buttoned up and in NBC mode as Tactical nukes would have already been used. We would have created 'Arras style' confusion but in a grand scale'   ....then the mushroom clouds over was our centres of civilisation would have rendered the politics redundant.......

But that's beside the point - my point is that Conquerer will probably sell well, as it's a very shiny & impressive looking price of kit, and such things tend to attract attention from gamers :)

Tell you what mate  - lets park the debate for 12 months and see the proof of the pudding.

toxicpixie

QuoteWe in BAOR had an estimated maximum of three days for clearer heads to prevail - and maintain defence in depth- and its not WW1, being bypassed if you have armour is not a hopeless situation - the WP doctrine was to attack in two combined arms echelons.  We would have  been buttoned up and in NBC mode as Tactical nukes would have already been used. We would have created 'Arras style' confusion but in a grand scale'   ....then the mushroom clouds over was our centres of civilisation would have rendered the politics redundant.......

That bit being in the middle of my earlier reply confused me greatly :D

I'm actually not convinced it would have gone to nukes, and despite my reservations about NATOs lack of operational doctrine I'm with the Dutch models from the seventies - I think it's quite possible NATO could have stopped the Soviet advance with conventional weaponry. Tactical doctrine was sound. It's the slightly higher level that I find frightening. NATO seems to have expected something like the 1866 with them as Prussians, and Russian troops and tanks throwing themselves in Stosstaktik style. The Russians rather expected a more 1870 approach with THEM as the Prussians, and potentially superior NATO training and gear being made irrelevant by not fighting the battles that would have been important in. There's always another corps astride your supply lines, cutting you off & overrunning your POL and artillery, whilst you're pinned to the front. Something like the second half of WW2 on the Ost Front (or indeed much of the Western Front, if with less space and higher troop densities and a compressed time period!).

Fortunately we'll never now, or whether anyone would have gone "to save the world, we had to burn the world" and pressed the button  :'(

Conqueror - we'll have to see what the sales figures are like, sor sure. I would expect it to be a leading light but I'm guessing it's got enough "cool factor" that will see a goodly amount sold, and probably generate a lot of interest in early Cold War gaming and other model sales for the period. Definitely more than actually served, I suspect :D

Sunray

01 September 2015, 02:44:41 PM #39 Last Edit: 01 September 2015, 03:20:54 PM by Sunray
Sorry about the confusion - I am spoilt by the MHO forum that allows one to dissect a thread in discussion.    Yeah the Cold War is a fading memory.  The Soviets were tactically limited in the main axis of their advance.  Their divisions would have been channelled (a) across the North German Plain and into Belgium and (b) the Fulda Gap.

NATO would have depended on superior equipment and training.   and that vital aspect of initiative.  The Soviets knew this. Conventionally we could have checked them for 3-5 days and cut up their motorised echelons especially if they were spread over a 20-80 km front.

So we had no illusions that the Soviets would have used tactical nuclear weapons in the frontal killing grounds.  Probably as high as 300 + warheads then the advance by five Soviet armies  9,000 + tanks and 9,000 + APCs. (1)  The intention in the 1970s to initiate tactical nukes is confirmed by Kremlin documents.

I am glad the Cold War is over- even if Europe is left without borders.

(1) There is heated debate over the numbers of old tanks and new tanks and the exact era in question.  Simon J Zaligo  in 1989 put the Soviet GSFG  + CGF + NGF as high as 8,025 new and 1,857 old (new was T-64 onwards). Add in the WP and adjacent districts and you have 41,000 odd MTBs . NATO had 14,000 on the ground and 2,000 (M+ 30 days)
Our tactical doctrine was good - but not that good. 

mart678

Glad you like the Conqueor and Panther the early and late cupola's are missing from the pictures and I did the spare track separate so you can stick it where you want and side skirts
Just to answer a few questions

1 the Conqueror came before the M41 and M551 because its British  :D :D
2 the next batch will include an M26,M41,M47 and M60 also Saracen Saladin and Ferret with a BTR 40 &60(open topped version first
3 then will come BMP 1(and Variants), ERB the French 8 wheeled thing a Leopard 1(not up armoured version ) Chieftain mk5 FV432 along with rest of CVR(T) and CVR(W)

Then lots of Air defence French AMX 30 and French apc also some big spg's M109 M110 a 2S1, 2S3
And if anyone wants some Soviet Tactics' give me a pm I have copies of Soviet Minor Tactics 1974, and a later midde 80's version so you can do an Assault river crossing right from my days in the QDG's

Martin

fsn

Oooooh! Oooooh!  Aaaaahhhh! OOOOOOHHHH!!!!!  FV432 ... Saracen ... and little Ferret  and Spartan and Sultan and BMP1 and the ugly, ugly ERB and ... and ...

I think I'm getting a little bit over-excited. I just need to ... hang on ... wait ... I just ... wait ... a ... minute ... nearly .... nearly ... nearly.

Got it! "Modern AFVs" from 1979. Bit of a stretch to reach on that shelf.

Why? What were you thinking?

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Orcs

Quote from: fsn on 02 September 2015, 07:47:37 PM
Oooooh! Oooooh!  Aaaaahhhh! OOOOOOHHHH!!!!!  FV432 ... Saracen ... and little Ferret  and Spartan and Sultan and BMP1 and the ugly, ugly ERB and ... and ...

I think I'm getting a little bit over-excited. I just need to ... hang on ... wait ... I just ... wait ... a ... minute ... nearly .... nearly ... nearly.

Got it! "Modern AFVs" from 1979. Bit of a stretch to reach on that shelf.

Why? What were you thinking?

I was going to say "You cant take him anywhere" but according to the rumours...................... X_X
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Chad

I think the expression you are looking for is:

"You can't take him anywhere but twice. Second time to apologise." 😁