What next?

Started by Nosher, 09 August 2015, 09:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosher

09 August 2015, 09:30:53 PM Last Edit: 09 August 2015, 09:32:56 PM by Nosher
I'm on a very restrictive budget and torn between many of the fantastic new ranges and catalogue releases and need some guidance on where to invest :)

Napoleonics

NEW Bavarians - an army pack would give me all the Bavarians I might need as French Allies for my growing Blucher collection

NEW British - an army pack (when its available) would kick start my plans for an 'Allied' Army to take some of the pressure off my Austrians and back to back losses against the French... I'd need quite a few bits and would have to buy this army in installments, and I have to wait for the additional ranges to come out for more 'allies' as opposed to a purely British Army - however on the plus side I could get all the Brits painted before the new ranges come out.....

More French I still need some more artillery and cavalry units to give a few more options. I could buy these in small penny packets potentially....

Warband Undead and Samurai Apes Probably as two small starter armies adding bits as I go along? My intention is to do this on the cheap and use smaller base sizes as I will only ever be gaming alone so it shouldn't make any difference what base size I plump for

SCW Italian's One of each pack in the range will make a nice little force for CoC to take on my Republicans, but then I will need some more Republicans - particularly regulares as I'm only running Militia units at the moment

LOA but do I really need another Horse and Musket army......

Ottoman Turks as opponents for my Polish who only get rolled out against Pike and Shot TYW Swedes/Catholics and ECW forces......

Decisions, decisions :-\

I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

I'd be torn between the Bavarians (as we've not seen any painted up yet  ;) ) and the Warband stuff, just cos it's cool...  :D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Tough choices, what would you use most / enjoy painting most?
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

I agree with Paul, go with the one you would enjoy painting the most.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I would go SCW to start, as they will be a) the smallest project and 2) the easiest to paint
It would also give you time to decide which of the other projects to do next.
The samurai apes resculpt wil be at least a month or two (hint hint Phil) so put that one on the back burner...
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Quote from: mad lemmey on 10 August 2015, 07:42:56 AM
The samurai apes resculpt wil be at least a month or two (hint hint Phil) so put that one on the back burner...

Do you know something I'm not aware of Will ?  ;)
Cheers - Phil

fsn

British or Bavarians ... because I've got some and would like to see them well painted.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: Techno on 10 August 2015, 07:57:43 AM
Do you know something I'm not aware of Will ?  ;)
Cheers - Phil
Just working on supposition Phil.
Her is my thought train:
Even if the honourable gentleman owns older Samurai Apes sculpts, he will want to add the new figures to them.  As you have just done Taurians, Undead and High Elves, even with your undivided attention it will take you at least a month to sort Samurai Apes, especially their new figures, plus time for Leon and Dave to mold and cast them, so therefore at least two months, meaning lots of time for other projects.
QED.

But my bet is another army is on its way first, lizards or dark elves, then woodies...
Leaving Dragon men until later as they need a whole new range?

Nosher

Quote from: mad lemmey on 09 August 2015, 11:00:05 PM
All of the above?

Not helping........ ;)

You wicked boy! Go see the Head!! ;D
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Nosher

The little amount of 'capital' I have in my very deep Yorkshire pockets is burning a big hole :d

I'm leaning towards Bavarians and Undead - 60% - 40% as with the undead I would need to purchase a second army for them to fight and the Samurai Apes are some way off.

The British Army Pack is due out soon but I doubt my pocket lining can hold out that long..... :-SS

Not 'feeling the love' for the SCW Italians even though this would be the cheap option as I've enough SCW to play with at the moment and still have some to paint.

LOA's a big project and Ottomans, although lovely is a cavalry biased army and the thought of painting lots of cavalry leaves me feeling  :-&

And i've just been distracted by the 3mm and 10mm new releases from SLD. :-[

I think I need therapy  :'(

Frank Carson

FierceKitty

Got Poles, need Turks, I'd say.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Undead, then Turks.
Get a platoon of SCW while your waiting though. Attached allies! ;)

Leman

Go Turks, says the son of Johnny Turk (not biased or anything), and Szymon has provided a very nice painting guide.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Nosher

I went with Bavarians - just waiting for them to tip up :)

And now paydays here drooling over some undead and goblins for warband.  =P~ =P~ =P~

Whilst waiting, I've added some more 10mm loveliness from Supreme Littleness Designs in the shape of another triple arch bridge, the water troughs/fountains, the Crucifix monument and La Belle Alliance. They are all assembled - just plucking up the courage to start painting them as I'm rubbish when it comes to scenery and buildings....

Frank Carson