What was the first miniature you converted?

Started by Westmarcher, 07 March 2015, 02:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

For me, it was probably the Airfix Roman Centurion. That figure was cast with the helmet crest running from ear to ear. To my child like mind, whose primary source was Hollywood, that did not look right. So, the crest was carefully sliced off with a razor blade and glued back on "the correct way' - i.e., running from the forehead to the back of the head. Of course, it was years later before I found out how wrong I was!  #-o

What was your first figure (or vehicle) conversion?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

getagrip

My action man whose back melted over a fireally I'd lit to torture him a la the good guy in the cowboy film I'd watched.

First vehicle: Space Marine Rhino for first edition 40k.  Did it as a recovery vehicle (damn, wish I still had that!)

Proper mini: mounted a hobbit covered in spiky armour (psychohobbit the base sprue said)  on the back of a giant spider.
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Luddite

This chap.

One of Nick Lund's excellent Citadel ogres.  I put a Millput cape on him.  It was terrible, and fell off.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Fenton

I stuck the mask of a Harlequin Jet bike on the front of a dinky BMW to create the Masked Avenger for Dark Future. That's the only conversion type  thing I have ever done in 35 years
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fsn

From the Airfix magazines, I seem to have created a lot of half headed figures. US cavalry to Scots Greys (bearskins are easier than crested helmets.)

I destroyed a Churchill turret, so made it into an ARK. Still got that somewhere.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Quote from: Fenton on 07 March 2015, 03:07:45 PM
That's the only conversion type  thing I have ever done in 35 years

:o You surprise me! I thought we all started as figure hackers!

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

getagrip

Quote from: Luddite on 07 March 2015, 03:04:57 PM
This chap.

One of Nick Lund's excellent Citadel ogres.  I put a Millput cape on him.  It was terrible, and fell off.

Oh, that takes me back.  Had a load of hobgoblins by Nick Lund.  Ah, happy days  :)

Fenton

Quote from: fsn on 07 March 2015, 03:10:03 PM
:o You surprise me! I thought we all started as figure hackers!

Sorry to disappoint I never had any interest in it.I never really liked building model kits either. Which is why I refuse to buy Perry,Warlord,Victrix plastics I know I would never build them
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fsn

Not disappoint, but surprise. I'm with you on the whole converting, modelling thing, but sometimes, one needs to.

Techno

I tried my hand at sculpting from scratch, first.....Which in retrospect was a silly thing to do.
First models I converted, were some Marauder Dark (Witch ?) Elves...Which I turned into page 3 types.
Trish was very nice about it, and didn't seem at all concerned with what I'd done to her models.
Cheers - Phil

Fenton

Techno

Sorry, Steve !....Trish Morrison (as was).....One of the Evil Empire's designers.....Pretty sure she's still there.
Cheers - Phil

getagrip

Quote from: Techno on 07 March 2015, 04:09:25 PM
Sorry, Steve !....Trish Morrison (as was).....One of the Evil Empire's designers.....Pretty sure she's still there.
Cheers - Phil

Her witch elves were stunning; for the time they were ground breaking in their elegance.

I know this sounds "gushy" but they really were "that" good! :)

Techno

They looked better after I'd finished with them  ;).....Especially the one with the whip !!  =O =O =O =O
Cheers - Phil

Leman

From Airfix magazine in the late 60s, French WWI infantry into ACW zouaves and French Cuirassiers into Charleston Light Dragoons. Much plasticine and banana oil in evidence. Later moved on to converting US cavalry into 1st Virginia cavalry using parts from the RHA Napoleonic set.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!