Forum Soapbox

Started by getagrip, 04 March 2015, 08:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

I worked in schools as part of my "proper job" on and off and I don't see an audit as anything like an OFSTED inspection, unless you work on a call centre Hell Desk.

Good teachers are not only educators but also social workers, child psychologists, crowd control, admin staff, holiday reps and so much more.

I wouldn't do the job for considerably more than they are paid and I actually like both children and teaching and have run training courses for adults.   
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

getagrip

Shame the government doesn't share your views Ith ;)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Leman

Have to agree with that Ithoriel, and I taught 36 years full time in Bootle and Litherland, finally to see my school put under the ball and chain by OFSTED. Went through four OFSTEDS - good, good, good, special measures. Mostly the same staff and certainly the same sort of kids - and the numbers passing exams had gone UP! Go figure (as our chums across the pond say).
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

getagrip

Quote from: Leman on 30 March 2015, 04:28:18 PM
Have to agree with that Ithoriel, and I taught 36 years full time in Bootle and Litherland, finally to see my school put under the ball and chain by OFSTED. Went through four OFSTEDS - good, good, good, special measures. Mostly the same staff and certainly the same sort of kids - and the numbers passing exams had gone UP! Go figure (as our chums across the pond say).

It's too hit and miss under the current regime.  It's also too expensive.  It also doesn't make any difference to kids' results.

Waste of money: £168 million a year as it stands; that'd buy a few text books now wouldn't it? :-\
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Tawa

Motorists!  >:(

My mother never worked for Ofsted......
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Leman on 30 March 2015, 04:28:18 PM
Have to agree with that Ithoriel....

How many Ithoriels are there?  :o
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Quote from: FierceKitty on 31 July 2015, 02:02:44 AM
How many Ithoriels are there?  :o

"My name is Legion and we are many"  :P ;D ;D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

OFSTED exists to make the working teachers life worse....and fell rain forests.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Doesn't it fill you with confidence that they have just fired 1600 inspectors who were 'not good enough', since most are heads or ex heads of schools, that kind of makes the last few years results 'interesting'!

Those who can't, teach, those who can't teach become ofsted inspectors...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Screw the whale - save the apostrophe!

Leman

Carrot's £1.20. What about his £1.20? Why do greengrocers never give us the rest of this story?

FierceKitty

Techno

It could be the punchline of one of Mr Jasper Carrott's jokes, and someone has missed out the second 't'. :-\
(Then again......) ;)
Cheers - Phil

Leman

Here's another one that's really getting up my nose. I see it everywhere particularly in the local chip wrapper, er newspaper - a singular subject with a plural verb. It just reads so wrong I don't know how anyone can write it! Example from this week's rag:

An animal welfare charity (4 words, all singular) have (plural) warned pet owners .........

The next sentence then begins:

Freshfield Animal Rescue Centre have ......... singular, singular, singular, singular, plural.

I feel  certain they would not write, 'Mr. Smith have said he does not like this.' Yet an organisation is treated as a plural, even though it is clearly a singular entity.

Ithoriel

I have never come across an organisation that was a singular entity in any meaningful sense, try getting a single answer to a question about process or procedure from more than one member of an organisation, for example. :)