Forum Soapbox

Started by getagrip, 04 March 2015, 08:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getagrip

OFSTED; waste of public money! >:(

C'est tout!
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Leman

Shooting's too good for them!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

getagrip

Quote from: Leman on 28 March 2015, 02:40:08 PM
Shooting's too good for them!

It's just such a waste of money; spend it actually helping schools.

Or and I'm going to sound like a crazy man here, actually spend the money on schools so they can have better equipment and more teachers!

Woah, crazy crazy thoughts :-\

Orcs

I am willing to accept that OFSTED may not be the best way of checking up on schools and teachers, but was it not set up to monitor things because of the problems with poor teachers and schools that were basically getting away with doing a bad job as there were no real checks? 

When my eldest was in primary school they had a teacher who constantly shouted at the class, could not maintian disciplne in the classroom, and behaved completely inappropriately - on one occasion hooking a rowdy pupil up on a coat peg by his collar.

He was investigated 5 times but apparently they could not get enough on him to sack him.  When my daughter was due to go into his class the parents had had enough. The parents of 20 children due to go into his class the next september, told the Head that they would remove their children from the school if this person was to be thier teacher.

Not sure what happened then but said teacher fortunately  "resigned"
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

getagrip

Dreadful.

But you don't need OFSTED to manage that,  you actually need quality management.  :)

Orcs

Quote from: getagrip on 30 March 2015, 10:25:24 AM
Dreadful.

But you don't need OFSTED to manage that,  you actually need quality management.  :)

I agree, but was OFSTED not set up because of a general lack of quality management in schools?

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Then you get HMI inspecting Ofsted, but who inspects the HMI?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

getagrip

Quote from: Just a few Orcs on 30 March 2015, 10:38:44 AM
I agree, but was OFSTED not set up because of a general lack of quality management in schools?

A general perceived lack of quality.

When it was set up it was needed,  now,  not so much.

Additionally,  there's a massive teacher recruitment crisis looming,  remember that from the late 90's?  If the current language of failure and criticism keeps spewing out of Whitehall,  with an ever more aggressive inspection regime,  we are creating a perfect storm.

Additionally,  even OFSTED themselves recognise that the system is unsustainable in it's current form: I heard this first hand from Mike Tomlinson.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

And there is an, unreported, staff shortage in nearly all schools. So many teachers have had enough.
Means I'm always busy though! ;D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

getagrip

Quote from: mad lemmey on 30 March 2015, 10:54:25 AM
And there is an, unreported, staff shortage in nearly all schools. So many teachers have had enough.
Means I'm always busy though! ;D

Yep,  suits me ; makes me far more valuable  :)

I don't think the current administration realise the impact their rhetoric is going to have!

Orcs

This is very interesting.

I thought  I was almost out of using schools as my youngest is 16. so only two more years.  then Youngest Stepdaughter decided to do PGCE this year.

She is working very very hard and still only just keeping her head above water. We have had it all almost every week.

Cross Jess
Grumpy Jess
Shouty Jess
Tearful Jess
Exhasted Jess
Bouncy Jess
Excited Jess
Moany Jess
I want to give Up Jess
Its such a rewarding job Jess.

Matt J

I run a business, I have an audit. You have a school you have an OFSTED. Both a pain in the arse, but both necessary.

Some of the teachers that teach my kids are frankly muppets or utterly devoid of any care of duty for the job. Others are brilliant. Unfortunately the muppets seem to outnumber the brilliant.

The answer, pay teachers more (alot more) but make the job full time (ie work through school holidays) and more accountable. At the moment the teaching profession is trying to attract middle management standard entrants on junior management pay.

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

getagrip

Quote from: Matt of Munslow on 30 March 2015, 11:20:02 AM
I run a business, I have an audit. You have a school you have an OFSTED. Both a pain in the arse, but both necessary.

Some of the teachers that teach my kids are frankly muppets or utterly devoid of any care of duty for the job. Others are brilliant. Unfortunately the muppets seem to outnumber the brilliant.

The answer, pay teachers more (alot more) but make the job full time (ie work through school holidays) and more accountable. At the moment the teaching profession is trying to attract middle management standard entrants on junior management pay.

Fair point  ;)

Quote from: Just a few Orcs on 30 March 2015, 11:11:44 AM
This is very interesting.

I thought  I was almost out of using schools as my youngest is 16. so only two more years.  then Youngest Stepdaughter decided to do PGCE this year.

She is working very very hard and still only just keeping her head above water. We have had it all almost every week.

Cross Jess
Grumpy Jess
Shouty Jess
Tearful Jess
Exhasted Jess
Bouncy Jess
Excited Jess
Moany Jess
I want to give Up Jess
Its such a rewarding job Jess.

Tell her to stay with it; things do get easier  ;)

Westmarcher

My wife is a retired Head Teacher and is now a union rep. If you don't give the teachers long breaks from the kids (and some of their parents), I guarantee you will have more nervous breakdowns, more leaving the profession and either less teachers or a lower overall standard.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

getagrip

Quote from: Westmarcher on 30 March 2015, 12:59:11 PM
My wife is a retired Head Teacher and is now a union rep. If you don't give the teachers long breaks from the kids (and some of their parents), I guarantee you will have more nervous breakdowns, more leaving the profession and either less teachers or a lower overall standard.

This is true; I've done "proper" jobs and teaching.  My last proper job I found I had accrued 3.5 weeks holiday and had to fit them in quickly before year's end.  The point was that I didn't need the holidays anywhere near as much as I do now.

Still, gives Joe Public something to rant about ;)