Forum Soapbox

Started by getagrip, 04 March 2015, 08:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Quote from: Ithoriel on 11 March 2015, 12:50:10 PM
So, what exactly is wrong with starting a sentence with "So, ...." :)
It's a connective. It's rather like starting a sentence with 'and'. Why can't people just say 'umm' or 'well' if they feel the need for preamble before telling us  what they actually want to say. It's another one of those things that didn't exist ten years ago. Rather like the days before Neighbours reached our shores and the only sentences which rose in pitch at the end actually were questions.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leon

So, what you're saying is, you watch Neighbours...?!

And Home and Away as well?

;) :D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Luddite

Quote from: Leman on 11 March 2015, 02:33:44 PM
It's a connective. It's rather like starting a sentence with 'and'.

And yet, subordinating conjunctions like 'although' are perfectly acceptable.  Although coordinating conjunctives like 'and' are often considered 'incorrect' at the beginning of a sentence, this is actually a matter of preference rather than a grammatical rule. 

It is very common to find conjuctives used throughout the history of literature, by even the greatest authors.

;)
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: fsn on 11 March 2015, 01:20:59 PM
So a needle pulling thread?

Who let Julie Andrews in.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

getagrip

OFSTED...

We have them in today, woo hoo!  <:-P <:-P <:-P
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

getagrip

Quote from: mad lemmey on 11 March 2015, 05:08:22 PM
Good luck!

Cheers mate, just catching a bit of forum time before I head home.

I have my grilling meeting with them tomorrow ;)

Two inspectors, 1 hour, poor little old Grip, all on his own...

...bring it on! :D

Leon

Two phrases that are commonly used wrongly:

"I could care less..." when it should be "I couldn't care less..." This one seems to be more common in America, to the point where I think the incorrect version is more widely used now.

"We could of done better..." when it should be "We could have done better..."  I get that the spoken words can sound like an 'of', but that doesn't make it right.   >:(
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

getagrip

Quote from: Leon on 11 March 2015, 05:13:36 PM

"We could of done better..." when it should be "We could have done better..."  I get that the spoken words can sound like an 'of', but that doesn't make it right.   >:(

Agreed! >:( >:( >:(

Techno

I've never heard the phrase, "I could care less", before.....
Whatever !  :D
Cheers - Phil

fsn

Quote from: getagrip on 11 March 2015, 05:10:43 PM
I have my grilling meeting with them tomorrow ;)

Two inspectors, 1 hour, poor little old Grip, all on his own...

...bring it on! :D

My money's on you.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

So, I could've done better .... like I could care less  :P

Although, knock 'em dead grips!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

Put simply. some things to some ears just sound wrong, and no amount of grammatical shilly-shallying is ever going to change that until that particular generation dies off. To me the constant use of so as a sentence starter, the far too frequent end of sentence pitch rise, and to go boldly where no one has gone before just sound wrong.

getagrip

Leman

Oh yeah, Ofsted are a shower of shysters. Of course they find things wrong, otherwise they're out of a job. If they don't find enough wrong they change the rules so that they will. Ofsted, otherwise known as Morale Boosters R Us.