Forum Soapbox

Started by getagrip, 04 March 2015, 08:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Quote from: getagrip on 07 March 2015, 08:31:57 AM
Ah, the complexity and academic rigour of higher education :D
Yeah, one lesson of learning how to say things right then four years of higher level maths, computer programming, data analysis, and survey design. Doddle really. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Sandinista

Quote from: Last Hussar on 06 March 2015, 07:16:47 PM
Motorcyclists who think their idiotic behaviour is car drivers fault.

I take it you're not a very good driver then  ;)

Cheers
Ian

Orcs

Cyclists who refuse to use the pefectly good bike lane on the side of the road and insist riding two abreast in the main lane chatting away. >:( >:(
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Sandinista

Quote from: Just a few Orcs on 07 March 2015, 12:08:28 PM
Cyclists who refuse to use the pefectly good bike lane on the side of the road and insist riding two abreast in the main lane chatting away. >:( >:(

Perfectly legal for them to do so as well

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Sandinista on 07 March 2015, 12:12:07 PM
Perfectly legal for them to do so as well

But not - Ride on the pavement or ignore red lights.

Also your are wrong - there is a good chance you could get em for fail to pay due care and attention to other road users.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

getagrip

Quote from: fsn on 07 March 2015, 09:29:37 AM
Yeah, one lesson of learning how to say things right then four years of higher level maths, computer programming, data analysis, and survey design. Doddle really. 

;D ;D ;D

Nicely put ;)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Westmarcher

Quote from: Leman on 07 March 2015, 08:17:10 AM
Have to agree with that last comment. I often go for a coffee and a read in a local Italian Emperor's coffee shop. Sometimes there'll be a couple or more of young mums in there with buggies. That's fine. Then a baby wakes up and starts yowling. Kids do that. 40 minutes later one or more of the babies still yowling and the two or more mummies are still engrossed in conversation - WTF  >:(
If after 11.00 am, could try the pub. The ones I go to also serve coffee ....... but no cake ...... damn ..... so much for that idea.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

getagrip

I don't mind kids being there; I've got a four year old.  I just don't like them running riot in a place where people are trying to relax.

It's not on!!! >:(

Leman

Likewise, but letting them yowl non-stop for 40 minutes is a little insensitive to other customers. In the end I left first.

Vamboozle

Luckily our local chain coffee shop (named after a Spanish Coast) has an upstairs which broadly appears to be off limits.

What really annoys me is kids being allowed to run around in restaurants - and I'm not talking toddlers but 7,8,9 years olds.

When I was that are I'd already been taught how to behave at the dinner table. You didn't get up until everyone had finished.

Grrrrrr
Old enough to know better

getagrip

07 March 2015, 05:25:18 PM #146 Last Edit: 07 March 2015, 05:33:34 PM by getagrip
Quote from: Vamboozle on 07 March 2015, 05:20:58 PM
Luckily our local chain coffee shop (named after a Spanish Coast) has an upstairs which broadly appears to be off limits.

What really annoys me is kids being allowed to run around in restaurants - and I'm not talking toddlers but 7,8,9 years olds.

When I was that are I'd already been taught how to behave at the dinner table. You didn't get up until everyone had finished.

Grrrrrr

My fella is four and will say "is this a restaurant?"

He gets "it", cos we taught him "it!"

Perfect parents we aren't, but there are standards!

Leman

I think "learning manners at the dinner table" is the key point here. I get the impression that fewer families in this country now sit down together around a table for a meal. We seem to be developing a grazing culture, where eating and drinking (and putting on makeup for that matter) is being subsumed into other activities rather than being a discrete activity (or in the case of makeup a discreet activity). I hate seeing these things going on  on the morning commute. Go to bed and get up earlier.

Techno

Quote from: Vamboozle on 07 March 2015, 05:20:58 PM
What really annoys me is kids being allowed to run around in restaurants -  

Or casualty...When you've got a broken toe and you don't want ANYONE to touch, kick, or tread on it.
Cheers - Phil

getagrip

Agree with both of you,  it's just respect!

Sounds like Phil's been using a lump hammer.

DON'T LET PHIL NEAR TOOLS!  Will they never learn,  oh the humanity  :'(