Forum Soapbox

Started by getagrip, 04 March 2015, 08:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

Are motorcyclists adrenalin junkies?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

getagrip

Quote from: Westmarcher on 06 March 2015, 08:00:15 PM
Are motorcyclists adrenalin junkies?

Yes and no.   Come in both flavours.

For me,  just being on a bike, on a nice bendy road is enough  ;)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

cbr3d.com

Reporters (mainly on TV) who insist on refering to 'murders' as 'killings', refer to Putin as 'communist' when he clearly isn't, refer to 'public opinion' when they mean 'their own opinion', in fact reporters generally!

The Sun newspaper who years ago moved 'Haggar the Horrible' from the back page to an inside page.  (Amazing how many people in WHSmith used to pick up The Sun, turn to the back read Haggar and then return the paper to the shelf, me included.   :D  )

Teachers who insist on giving up-beat reports about children in their school reports rather than tell the truth.  (How does that help the child?)

Petrol stations who insist on charging for petrol in fractions of a penny - coin clipping is illegal in the UK, so why charge a fraction of a coin for an amount?

Statisticians - well just statisticians actually.  

Pollsters, and especially amature pollsters, who insist they know the reult of elections days, weeks, or even months before an election.  (For those not in the UK I should explain that we are approaching a General Election and now the pollsters are out in force.)

Those people who argue that something must be right because it hasn't been proved to be wrong!  (Think religion here especially.)

The fact that paint brushes have a finite lifespan, especially the best ones!   :(

In summer the lawns need mowing twice a week, and when half way through cutting it starts raining!  (Live in Cumbria, so when it is not raining it has either just stopped raining or about to rain, or indeed usually both! )

fsn

Quote from: Fig.ht on 06 March 2015, 08:05:22 PM
Statisticians - well just statisticians actually. 

:o I am a statistician by training! Was a member of the Royal Statistical Society for many years! We perform a useful service to 78.47% of society, 94.2% of the time! (at the 0.01 confidence level.)

Probably not going to help the case really, is it?

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Quote from: getagrip on 06 March 2015, 08:02:12 PM
Yes and no.   Come in both flavours.
For me,  just being on a bike, on a nice bendy road is enough  ;)
Interesting, Grip. I'm not a biker myself so genuinely interested to know what bikers get out of driving what to me is a more dangerous form of transport than a 4 wheeled vehicle. The bendy road bit - assume the satisfaction is judging and solving how to guide the bike smoothly round the bends or something? Just intrigued as to why bikers like to do what they do.

Reporters (mainly on TV) who insist on refering to 'murders' as 'killings'.... refer to 'public opinion' when they mean 'their own opinion', in fact reporters generally!
Saw a headline today in a local rag, "Machine gun found in Dad's car." Intrigued, I wondered what kind of MG. It turns out it was "a deadly, loaded" one........
Dread the day when the Press get their wish to take over the justice system.

Petrol stations who insist on charging for petrol in fractions of a penny - coin clipping is illegal in the UK, so why charge a fraction of a coin for an amount?
Funny enough, I've never ever looked at my receipt to see if they round up or down. I wonder?  :-\
In summer the lawns need mowing twice a week, and when half way through cutting it starts raining!  (Live in Cumbria, so when it is not raining it has either just stopped raining or about to rain, or indeed usually both! )
Living in the West of Scotland, know what you mean!

Quote from: fsn on 06 March 2015, 08:09:49 PM
:o I am a statistician by training! Was a member of the Royal Statistical Society for many years! We perform a useful service to 78.47% of society, 94.2% of the time! (at the 0.01 confidence level.)
Are these lies or damned statistics?  :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

getagrip

06 March 2015, 08:46:41 PM #125 Last Edit: 06 March 2015, 09:23:09 PM by getagrip
Yep,  that's about the size of it.   Awesome sensation  :)

You know when you watched the imperial troops on their speeder bikes on Endo,  well... :D

sunjester

Bloody cyclists!
Especially the d***heads who ride around in London, I've had 3 really close calls in the past couple of years, all, yes ALL, with t***ers on 2-wheeled conveyances.
And don't get me started on all the 2-wheeled t**ts around here (Aylesbury). The council wasted a fortune (including my taxes) installing cycle paths all over the shop and do any of the complete ***ts use any of them? NO, they ride on every other piece of pavement instead! Today I walked the 500 yards to the nearest shops and had to avoid 3 a***holes riding their baby bikes on the pavement (which is against the law!). None of them could be bothered to cross over the road and use the proper cycle path.
If people want to ride bikes there should be a special lane for them down the middle of the road, just for 2-wheeled transport and juggernauts to share!
And then there's those complete ****ers who think that red lights and other traffic laws do not apply to cyclists!

**@@@**ERS!!!!!!!!

That's better :P

Last Hussar

Quote from: fsn on 06 March 2015, 08:09:49 PM

Probably not going to help the case really, is it?

Scrag him chaps.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

FierceKitty

My favourite statistic: An unrepresentative 99% of lawyers get the rest a bad name.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Quote from: FierceKitty on 07 March 2015, 02:02:48 AM
My favourite statistic: An unrepresentative 99% of lawyers get the rest a bad name.

I LIKE that one !
Another 'profession' also springs to mind.  ;)
Cheers - Phil

getagrip

Good one.  ;D

Can't stand people who let their kids run round restaurants; it's beyond ignorant.

Leman

Have to agree with that last comment. I often go for a coffee and a read in a local Italian Emperor's coffee shop. Sometimes there'll be a couple or more of young mums in there with buggies. That's fine. Then a baby wakes up and starts yowling. Kids do that. 40 minutes later one or more of the babies still yowling and the two or more mummies are still engrossed in conversation - WTF  >:(
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

"He uses statistics as a drunk uses a lamp-post - more for support than illumination." - Andrew Lang.

The first year of my Applied Statistics degree had a session in which we all chanted "statistics, statistical, statistician." Just so we could say them properly.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

getagrip

Quote from: fsn on 07 March 2015, 08:27:09 AM
"He uses statistics as a drunk uses a lamp-post - more for support than illumination." - Andrew Lang.

The first year of my Applied Statistics degree had a session in which we all chanted "statistics, statistical, statistician." Just so we could say them properly.

Ah, the complexity and academic rigour of higher education :D

Upgraydd

Quote from: Luddite on 05 March 2015, 11:50:30 AM
People who eat meat.  Its not neccessary and amazingly cruel.