Forum Soapbox

Started by getagrip, 04 March 2015, 08:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

I wonder how  "Data" from Startrek the next generation gets on with GPDR?
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

GDPR - Great Data Protection Racket :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

John Cook

What a strange world we live in these days. 

fsn

[rant]
As a Data Protection Officer I have to mildly disagree with Comrade Ithoriel.

Data Protection should be about people knowing what data are being processed about them, and being able to control how that data are being processed.

There are Data Protection extremist organisations that won't process anything in case they get prosecuted, but I was at a conference a few years ago where a speaker said "best way to do data protection: don't be a d@ck". I've never been a duck, but her point was don't do anything with people's data that you wouldn't want done with yours.

[/rant]
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

While I agree with our resident Data Protection Officer that that is how it is supposed to work, in my, admittedly limited experience, it works wonderfully to stop ME doing things but protecting me from rogues and scoundrels ... not so much. :(
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Heedless Horseman

Graves.
UK. Mother died last year. Discovered Parents grave had a 50yr lease... expired. Yes Ma 'could' go in with them... BUT NO INSCRIPTION on stone!!!
Paid couple of hundred £ to renew. I will end up there too... but will HAVE to be burnt in a box... (No room for more?)... 3 max 'burials'.
Worth considering, if you have 'Family' plot.

Ma did take out lease on next plot... 30yrs to run... but I Have transferred to 'Family'... know where she wanted, and I, want to go.
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Heedless Horseman

(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

TheLimey

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 18 March 2023, 11:16:56 PMRAF Scampton.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-65000047

Humph!!! Best I do NOT comment! :(

Currently going to a judicial review. I know James Holland and Al Murray have been on this subject quite a bit on the "We Have Ways...' podcast
A Yorkshire Lad in foreign parts

Roy

Waiting for the postman/postwoman

I'm sitting at home, waiting to see if our street will be blessed with a visit by the post person today, and wondered what other people's recent experiences with the Royal Mail is like.

If we're lucky, we'll get a mail delivery service by the Royal Mail 3 days out of 6 (not necessarily every other day). That's mail such as small parcels and letters. Next day delivery will arrive when it should, via a post van devlivering this service only and larger parcels.

Obviously this hit-and-miss service has knock-on effects with letters containing bills, reminders, appointments, and sensitive information, never mind toy soldiers.

If it was official, "post will be delivered every other day" I wouldn't mind. But its the not knowing if a post person will turn up, or not that is so frustrating.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Ours is excellent, and gets the dog in all deliered parcel shots!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner