Blather, Waffle and Poppycock!

Started by Leon, 24 February 2013, 05:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

With the impending release of Arab-Israeli ranges, I thought I'd brush up on the 1973 conflict. (Disappointed there were no Mi24s in Egyptian or Syrian service.)

Reading Tank Battles in Miniature 5: The Arab-Israeli Wars since 1948 by Bruce Quarrie (PSL, 1978).

On Israeli tank markings it says "Hebrew characters can easily be traced or copied from a good dictionary; if you don't possess one, ask your local librarian, but make sure you tell him or her what you are doing or you might be accused of trying to deface the book!"

Oh, how times have changed!     
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014
Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!
2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020
7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)

Antioch

fsn

In 67 unit markings were much the same as it was a planned attack.... In 73 things were pretty desperate (particularly on the Syrian front). They formed ad hoc units with various companies with mixed equipment as soon as they had one reported in...hence you tend to get mixed symbols. However as you prob allready know the use of the chevron in a variety of positions was used quite a bit.

Helicopters at this time were not usually a high priority for any of the sides....something basic transport like..fighter jets....everyone wanted more.  But by 73 the isdaelis used mostly french (allouette III's & supser Frelons) for an interesting read...look up the battles around Mount Hermon (highest point over the galalee area & prime real estate) I believe 3 different battles took place there, several with troop transport choppers. After 73 US helicopter replacements arrived as well & the first (I think) of the cobras. Not sure how soon after the Russians supplied the MI-24's.       Bob

fsn

Was at Phalanx yesterday and had to possibly maybe get some Centurions for the Israelis.

I see the Arab-Israeli ranges have been released on the home page ... so I've put in a little order for them.

Think that means I'm now doing three projects at once.

On the upside, I've got back into painting the Russian Napoleonics, finished one battalion yesterday and looks like I may finish another today. That will leave just 2 battalions, one regiment of Cuirassiers and the horse artillery battery to "finish" that project. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014
Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!
2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020
7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)

paulr

Well done Nobby, progress is good :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Picked up some Egyiptain and Isralie infantry at Phalanx, do look rather good....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021