Warband Rules and figures - Now available!

Started by Leon, 18 February 2015, 11:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunnadd

Runcorn features in Hugh Cook's Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness series, though it's a bit different from present day Runcorn

Plasticoutsider

Quote from: jambo1 on 26 February 2015, 06:29:10 PM
It would work well as a title for the mighty Fall, one of my all time favourite bands, nice to see them get a mention on a miniatures forum!! m/

Mr Smith would be aghast.
I've had a browse and love the system.  I might wait to see more of the new figures before plunging in.
The idea of Dragonmen is very appealing...

Chieftain

Official Guru of our Warband rules!

Plasticoutsider

Quote from: Chieftain on 26 February 2015, 11:49:40 PM
Would you like to let us know why?  :)

The rules seem to strike a nice balance between abstraction and aesthetics (yes, I really am that pretentious).  The idea of dioramas showing disordered mobs of orcs on bases of uniform size is entirely new to me (apologies if people know of dozens of other rule sets that do this!) and looks just right.  I like the look of the magic solution as well.
I'm generally rules-phobic, so Warband looks like it was written for people like me in mind: well laid-out, simple, a good level of abstraction, and an emphasis on modelling.
Can't wait to give it a go!

Leman

The only rules I know of that come close to this idea are Polemos, Impetus, Altar of Freedom and Volley and Bayonet
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Fenton

Quote from: Leman on 27 February 2015, 01:24:18 PM
The only rules I know of that come close to this idea are Polemos, Impetus, Altar of Freedom and Volley and Bayonet

Grande Armee  as well, and I suppose Kings of War  maybe
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

AndyT

My parcel including a Goblin army and some extras arrived today. I will enjoy opening them this evening  :)

getagrip

Quote from: AndyT on 27 February 2015, 05:52:41 PM
My parcel including a Goblin army and some extras arrived today. I will enjoy opening them this evening  :)

Jealous; too many goblins already though :-\

Maybe :D
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Techno

Come on, Gareth....You know you want to.

Cheers - Phil

getagrip

Quote from: Techno on 27 February 2015, 10:45:03 PM
Come on, Gareth....You know you want to.

Cheers - Phil

Bad, bad man :P

Yeah  ;D I want to!  I'm really hanging on for the Dark Elves.... ;)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Luddite

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Dunnadd

11 March 2015, 10:22:15 PM #86 Last Edit: 11 March 2015, 11:29:12 PM by Dunnadd
Had a read through the Warband rules today and i think they're a bit too simple and fast play for me - make HOTT look complicated (EDIT - actually, correction -  spells much more detailed than HOTT - which just treated magicians like artillery - and there are options for each unit for extra points that make units and armies vary more than in HOTT) .

I'd think many people who like ultra-simple, fast battles that can be fought in a short time will like them though.

Positives imo - simple, fast, easy to learn and play without grey areas for rules lawyers.
                   - Clearly written and well laid out rules book with lots of clear diagrams. Easy to read
                   - some unusual / original armies
                   - would be easy to make up your own army lists using the special abilities list in the rules

Negatives - too simple? (e.g being attacked by two dragons at once seems to be almost identical to being attacked by one)
              - Army lists too rushed/Not enough differentiation between armies (e.g almost every army's archers seem to have Shooting rating of 2D6 - so elf archers are no better than anyone else's)
              - Army lists too much restricted to ranges Pendraken sells
              - Lacking in background to give atmosphere. No real "fantasy world" and army lists have minimal background.

AndyT

I'm yet to play my first game of 'Warband' but I suspect that the simple mechanics will suit me well.

There is some variation in the army lists in terms of the options available to units, making the elven archers potentially different to their goblin equivalents, and from the different magic spells on offer to each army.

Cheers,
Andy

Dunnadd

Ah right - elf archers are allowed Powerful - you're right Andy - missed that.

Upgraydd

Quote from: Dunnadd on 11 March 2015, 10:22:15 PM
              - Lacking in background to give atmosphere. No real "fantasy world" and army lists have minimal background.

I'm liking this about the rules more and more. I love that there is no inherently good and evil races (we've all read the twilight books and know that vampires are actually nice) and I think it gives more opportunity to play factions that you normally might not be drawn to.

At the moment I'm thinking my Goblins will be more from frozen wastelands (although how to explain there low % of body fat and lack of clothing I'm no sure yet  :-\). My lizard men could be from marsh/swamp areas near active volcanoes making their skin more reddish then green. Barbarians could be from open plains similar to Native American tribes, where Bison & Mammoths roam in huge numbers.

And with a few simple ideas a fantasy world is taking shape...who knows the Pendragon community may develop a living Warband world as time goes by.