What type/make/size brush(es) do you use?

Started by getagrip, 10 February 2015, 10:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getagrip

I currently use EE standard brushes for most of my painting; I like their size in hand, absorbancy and resistance.  they are pricey though and would like and alternative.  So, what's your favourite?
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Fenton

I use Italeri 000 for painting and a bigger brush I got from a craft shop for doing washes. I am quite hard on the brushes so use 2 or 3 every couple of months
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

Series 7 Windsor & Newton...(Series 16, if they still make those ?)..
WHEN I get the chance to use them.  ;)
Cheers - Phil

getagrip

Quote from: Fenton on 10 February 2015, 10:14:35 PM
I use Italeri 000 for painting and a bigger brush I got from a craft shop for doing washes. I am quite hard on the brushes so use 2 or 3 every couple of months

Wow!  Small, no wonder you go through them!

Quote from: Techno on 10 February 2015, 10:16:32 PM
Series 7 Windsor & Newton...(Series 16, if they still make those ?)..
WHEN I get the chance to use them.  ;)
Cheers - Phil

What size Phil?

Westmarcher

[Whilst waiting for Phil's answer]
This is good because (1) its a question I've been meaning to ask to see if I can improve my results on my 10mm figures and (2) I need new brushes (I'm wary of ordering online and tend to go to the art shop - hobby shop went out of business - to buy my brushes because I want to ensure I get a good point on the brush). Grip, when you say EE brushes could you clarify, please? Ta.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Subedai

I use The Works £1.99 for 4 0, 000, 00000, 0000000000) for detail work, Still on my first set and I brought them about the middle of last year.

http://www.theworks.co.uk/p/paint-brushes/nylon-round-brush-set---pack-of-4/5052089006089

For drybrushing I use any one of these, also from The Works. They are hard and scrape over the top surfaces very well.

http://www.theworks.co.uk/p/paint-brushes/boldmere-flat-brush-set---12-pack/5052089134607

For acrylic washes I use a slightly bigger brush. I have a specific brush for magic wash and another, separate brush that is only used for enamel varnishes. Another large artists very soft watercolour brush is only used to remove bits of fllock from figures. Sometimes I will buy a brush from the GW in town or at a show, depends on the state of my current lot.

I suppose if I could be ar*ed I would use W and N top of the range but to be honest even though there are a couple of art shops in town but I've never looked, those Works ones do it for me.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Fenton

I have bought some from The Works some have been great but have  had a few bad ones from them
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

getagrip

I'm really shocked you guys use brushes from the Works.  I will give them a look.

West, EE (Evil Empire: Games Workshop) ;)

Fenton

I got one from The Works turned it upside down and all the bristles fell out

getagrip

Quote from: Fenton on 10 February 2015, 11:10:29 PM
I got one from The Works turned it upside down and all the bristles fell out

Yeah that's what I expected  ;D

SV52

W&N Series 7 S1,2,3.  I find a good point is the most important criteria, in my experience too small a brush doesn't hold enough paint and with some acrylics it's dry before you can apply it, unless you're quick.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Matt J

GW brushes as I use their paints and their brushes are the only ones I've found to work with them.
I have to go in the shop though to go through the best points and the standard has dipped last couple of years. Started using a new one tonight, nearly threw the f**king thing through the wall!
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Ithoriel

Hobbygames, Cotman, Citadel, Boldmere (The Works) and Pro Arte Prolene in use currently.

Assorted types in sizes 000, 00, 0, 1 and 2 plus some big flat brushes for basic colours on large things (like 20mm scale tanks) and a couple of make-up brushes for drybrushing things like tanks and buildings.

If I'm painting every day I'd expect to trash at least one brush of one size or another every month. At which point they are usually relegated to applying glue or similar chores.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steve J

Some GW ones I've had for years, Humbrol that I got via a Xmas present for our son and one other I can't remember the name of. Basically when I need a new one I just pop into out local model shop and look to see which ones are good and for a reasonable price.

Bodvoc

I use the better quality Humbrol brushes, some by Javis (pure sable) and a few by GW. I also buy from Art shops and will look at the Works brushes now too.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!