Dux Bellorum trial games

Started by Steve J, 06 February 2015, 12:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

I've been lucky enough to have been playing some Dux Bellorum games over the past few weeks with Dave Fielder. Below is a sort of AAR of one of these that we played this week. Happy to say that the killer sheep made an appearance, which is always good to see on the table :).

http://wwiiwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/dux-bellorum-trial-games.html

Bodvoc

That sounds a fun game and also a good looking game. I must find time to sort out some Dux Bellorum forces.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

jchaos79

Good report, Grea paint, nice ideas. I should test Dux Bellorum.

I always see your reports and makes me wanna take the figures and start playing, but I guess I need to paint a little bit to finsih my armies. Thanks for sharing, that keeps my Dux bellorum moral high.

Steve J

Glad you liked the AAR chaps :). The thing I like about DB is that you can knock up a warband very quickly and very cheaply. Given my painting is speed is slow to say the least, this is rather appealing. Dave was using his WMA units, which is another option. The amount of terrain required is minimal, but I like to add stuff to make it look nice.

More AAR to follow soon I hope as I have my next solo game planned (but on hold due to the rugby tonight) plus the campaign that Dave and I will be playing on Wednesday nights. All-in-all a lot of gaming for me at present which is great :).

jchaos79

When you face a solo play of Dux Bellorum

how do you deal with the leadership points?

Leman

Excellent report. It really is a good set of rules and a great successor to Glutter of Ravens. HA ha ha, spellchecker doesn't recognise glutter as a bona fide word.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

Quotehow do you deal with the leadership points?

It varies really. Some thoughts below:

- at the start I allocate them to get both sides moving in the best way for the scenario.
- as things unfold, they get allocated to units that need to move etc.
- as combat is joined, I tend to play it by ear, seeing what will work best for each side. I tend to 'play' one warband, with the other reacting as it were.
- if things get a bit stalemated, I will try and make one area decisive in terms of LPs, such as no one can soak up hits and must use them for attack only. It tends to get things moving, especially if Warriors are facing Shieldwall.

So nothing too fancy, but I found it's worked for me. Hope this helps?

paulr

Another good looking game and an interesting report :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

jchaos79

Quote from: Steve J on 06 February 2015, 06:17:40 PM
It varies really. Some thoughts below:

- at the start I allocate them to get both sides moving in the best way for the scenario.
- as things unfold, they get allocated to units that need to move etc.
- as combat is joined, I tend to play it by ear, seeing what will work best for each side. I tend to 'play' one warband, with the other reacting as it were.
- if things get a bit stalemated, I will try and make one area decisive in terms of LPs, such as no one can soak up hits and must use them for attack only. It tends to get things moving, especially if Warriors are facing Shieldwall.

So nothing too fancy, but I found it's worked for me. Hope this helps?

Thanks for your accurate answer