Rules Q&A

Started by Chieftain, 01 February 2015, 10:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxxy

Can a defensive artillery be motivated by a general as part of a group?

Chieftain

Quote from: Roxxy on 11 August 2015, 05:36:51 PM
Can a defensive artillery be motivated by a general as part of a group?

Yes.
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

Roxxy

Quote from: Chieftain on 11 August 2015, 07:18:36 PM
Yes.

Does a flyer prevent a fall back move as it says "flyers can be interpenated by enemy units". Thus it does not prevent a full 1 BW move back even thought it would stop, effectively below the flyer? This is assuming it is not in contact/melee otherwise it would be on the ground or very close too, as it is fighting a ground unit.

Kiwidave

Answered earlier Andy:

Flyers blocking fall back moves

'A fall back move is blocked if any of the following conditions apply.  The unit;
1. Is contacted on two different base edges,
2. Is contacted on both a front corner and a rear corner,
3. Cannot complete a full 1BW move (e.g. it is prevented by friends, enemies, a table edge or impassable terrain),  or
4. Cannot move far enough to end out of contact with all enemy units (including corner contact).' p23

So...if a flyer unit contributes to point 1. or point 2. it will block the fall back.

However, 'Flyers: Can interpenetrate and be interpenetrated by enemy non-flying units, as part of any move.' p10  
Note that to begin an interpenetration you must be able to pass completely through.

So for points 3. and 4., the unit falling back 1BW can interpenetrate a flyers unit (unless it is itself a flyer).  
Depending on the relative unit positions, its therefore possible (although unlikely) to be able to fall back through an enemy flyers unit.  
Since a fall back move is a fixed 1BW, it should be easy to position flyers to be able to prevent the full interpenetration (and therefore block the fall back).

Flyers blocking rout moves
For the rout move, a non-flying unit can interpenetrate a flying unit (running under it!) provided it is able to pass completely through.
Of course, flyers can still destroy routing units by moving into contact with it as part of any move.

z4carlo

A question or 2 about Formed;

'Can make a single 180o turn for free (it does not cost 1BW) during any move in open terrain'

1. Can this be used if the unit did not move? i.e it either failed or did not attempt a motivation
2. Is 180o the only option? i.e can the unit turn 90o or any amount up to 180, this seemed somewhat logical to me but the rules seems to only allow an exact 180o turn.
3. Finally, if a unit is directly behind a formed unit which then turns and charges, is this a direct charge?

Techno

Sorry, Carlo.
Personally, I can't help with that. (Someone will be along soon, though, I'm sure !)

But as that was your first post, a very warm welcome to the madhouse forum.  :)
Cheers - Phil

fsn

Hello Carlo.

Welcome to the forum.

Don't know anything about Warband. Usually that doesn't stop me commenting, but I'm sure someone will be along with a sensible answer.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Chieftain

Hi Carlo.   :-h

Quote from: z4carlo on 28 September 2015, 10:39:11 AM
A question or 2 about Formed;

'Can make a single 180o turn for free (it does not cost 1BW) during any move in open terrain'

1. Can this be used if the unit did not move? i.e it either failed or did not attempt a motivation

No.  It must move.

2. Is 180o the only option? i.e can the unit turn 90o or any amount up to 180, this seemed somewhat logical to me but the rules seems to only allow an exact 180o turn.

180o is the only option.  It represents a simple 'about face'.

3. Finally, if a unit is directly behind a formed unit which then turns and charges, is this a direct charge?

No.  A melee charge counts as a direct charge if at the beginning of its charge move any part of the enemy target unit is directly to the charging unit's front.  It begins facing away and therefore doe not count as a direct charge.

:)

fsn

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

paulr

Welcome to the forum z4 :-h

Whatever happened to z1, z2 & z3 :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Z1 was sunk in error by He111s in Feb 1940. Z3 was sunk by a mine during the rescue operation. Z2 beached after being damaged in the Narvik fighting.

z4carlo

Thanks for the response Chieftain, and for the warm welcome from everyone else!

z4carlo

Another question, possibly less of a direct rule and more of an interpretation.

When does a unit gain the 'uphill' advantage?

The only references I can find are;
pg 14 'a unit can gain an uphill advantage'
and pg 30 '+1d6 if uphill of an opponent'

So this may have been left intentionally vague to allow for different styles of terrain? But if I were using simple single level hills with a definitive edge what are the intended requirements for being 'uphill'?

Which of these cases should I claim to be uphill of my opponent?
1. At the edge of the hill with my opponent not on the hill
2. Fully on the hill with my opponent partially on the hill
3. Partially on the hill with my opponent not on the hill
4. Both partially on the hill, but I have more of my base on the hill
5. Large hill, both fully on, I am more central

That seems to cover all(?) cases I can think of, personally I lean towards 1-4 but not 5 but I can imagine the rules being far stricter and being designed only for 1 or possibly 1+2.

Chieftain

29 September 2015, 01:26:50 AM #164 Last Edit: 29 September 2015, 01:35:06 AM by Chieftain
You'll find the rules under the Movement: terrain and the table edge section.

'At the end of a unit's move there may be further effects for the unit being within limiting terrain such as gaining behind defences advantage in woodland.  These effects only apply if more than half of the unit's base is in the terrain.  Uphill advantage is only gained if all of a unit's base is further up the slope than any part of an opponent's base.'

Determining when it applies will be a decision you and your opponent will have to make, based on your terrain.

To answer your questions directly:

Which of these cases should I claim to be uphill of my opponent?
1. At the edge of the hill with my opponent not on the hill

Yes, provided more than half your base is on the hill.

2. Fully on the hill with my opponent partially on the hill

Probably, but it will depend on the relative positions of the two units

3. Partially on the hill with my opponent not on the hill

Yes, provided more than half your base is on the hill.

4. Both partially on the hill, but I have more of my base on the hill

5. Large hill, both fully on, I am more central

Based on the general principle taken by the rules (e.g. In marginal cases, it's always better to allow a unit to shoot or make melee contact where possible.) i'd suggest you apply the uphill advantage except in cases where it clearly doesn't apply.