Rules Q&A

Started by Chieftain, 01 February 2015, 10:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Go on, you know you want to, all the cool kids are doing it!  :d
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Luddite

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Roxxy

Quote from: Roxxy on 21 July 2015, 01:03:31 AM
Can a Mage use a hero ability he has cast on himself to boost a magical shooting attack?
Did anyone see this question? Been waiting 3 days for reply. Thanks

Chieftain

Quote from: Roxxy on 23 July 2015, 10:19:06 PM
Did anyone see this question? Been waiting 3 days for reply. Thanks

Sorry Roxxy, missed that one.

Yes.
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

stenicplus

Quote from: Chieftain on 23 July 2015, 10:41:24 PM
Sorry Roxxy, missed that one.

Yes.

Ok, so Hero CP can be added to magically cast missiles for mages.

What about the general's CPs, can they be added to an MP generated missile?

It does seem odd to be honest if you can.  8MPs and 8CPs and your magian is a damned good artillery piece.

stenicplus

This may seem an odd and convoluted question but it stems from mine and Roxy's game and the questions above.

The Undead Liche has a spell, Dominate The Lifeless Host (Eldritch list has similar).  Any chosen unit within 2BW gets Hero ability. Does this include the Liche itself?

Note page 32 says spell effects only apply to mage unit itself if it says so. The High Elf spell that grants Hero does mention the mage itself receiving the benefit, Ditto the Wood Elf spell.

Chieftain

24 July 2015, 05:09:40 PM #142 Last Edit: 24 July 2015, 05:14:41 PM by Chieftain
Quote from: stenicplus
Ok, so Hero CP can be added to magically cast missiles for mages.

What about the general's CPs, can they be added to an MP generated missile?

Yes.

QuoteIt does seem odd to be honest if you can.  8MPs and 8CPs and your magian is a damned good artillery piece.

It most certainly is!  But that's a huge over-commitment, given that for 3CP, your opponent can simply rally off those excess hits.  Nothing to stop you piling those CP into the magic user's spell-granted shooting attack though.

I think its worth thinking tactically about getting rid of the enemy magic user early on.  They usually have a minor impact on the game, but in the right circumstances with the right MPs, magic users can seriously affect the game.

I've learned to be very wary of goblin shamans after suffering a Surge of Savagery spell, followed immediately next turn by a maxed-out Consuming Rage spell.

Quote from: stenicplusThe Undead Liche has a spell, Dominate The Lifeless Host (Eldritch list has similar).  Any chosen unit within 2BW gets Hero ability. Does this include the Liche itself?

No.  As you say...

QuoteNote page 32 says spell effects only apply to mage unit itself if it says so. The High Elf spell that grants Hero does mention the mage itself receiving the benefit, Ditto the Wood Elf spell.

Yes, where a spell specifically mentions it can or does affect the spell caster it does.  Otherwise the spellcaster cannot be chosen to receive any benefits of a spell.

:)

stenicplus

Ta for the quick replies.

Cool, so now I needs to gets me a mage  ;D

stenicplus

Got another teaser for you.

A restricted move is limited to 1BW. Is the limit halved if you are in limiting terrain or is the limit 1BW period and it's your successful motivation move that is halved albeit if you succeed with loads and generate a move of >1BW you are still limited to 1BW?

This came about as it was suggested that since a Skeletal archer was in the wood his max restricted move was 1/2 BW, ie the max 1BW for restricted then halved for the limiting terrain. The opposite was also suggested that the total successful move was halved first, then a max of 1BW was applied owing to the restriction.

I hope that's not too confusing.

fred.

Reading restricted move it doesn't mention terrain at all. So I would assume it has a max of 1BW.

If you are in terrain then your move distance is halved (motivation success x move distance x half ). If this comes out as half a BW then that's the most you can move. If it comes out as more than 1BW and you are in a Restricted move situation then you can only move a max of 1BW.

I read these as two independent rules that each have their own maximum distance. And you move the lowest of these two distances.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Chieftain

The restricted move is limited to an absolute maximum of 1BW.

Terrain halves the motivated move distance.

So a restricted move in terrain proceeds as follows:

1.  Roll motivation for successes to determine total BW for the move
2.  Terrain halves this BW total
3.  Restricted move imposes a maximum 1BW move after the terrain halves the move

Does that make things a bit clearer?

Roxxy

Quote from: Chieftain on 28 July 2015, 09:09:09 PM
The restricted move is limited to an absolute maximum of 1BW.

Terrain halves the motivated move distance.

So a restricted move in terrain proceeds as follows:

1.  Roll motivation for successes to determine total BW for the move
2.  Terrain halves this BW total
3.  Restricted move imposes a maximum 1BW move after the terrain halves the move

Does that make things a bit clearer?

Yes it is as I supposed, although others did not. Makes sense to me.

stenicplus

Chieftain,  yeap, that clear, ta for the response.

Ahem, as 'we' supposed Andy :). The dissenter was thrown out the car halfway up the motorway :D

Kiwidave

Hey! I acquiesced to your demands eventually ...:P

Moral victory for me though - I managed to eliminate 2 Dwarf units :D