Rules Q&A

Started by Chieftain, 01 February 2015, 10:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxxy

Quote from: mad lemmey on 20 July 2015, 10:29:43 AM
I got it, I was just waiting for Chieftain to answer. ;)

ah ok

Chieftain

Quote from: Roxxy on 20 July 2015, 08:36:22 AM
If you choose to role you generals die to move all attached units. Is it possible to boost the number of die he is going to role for Mo with a movement spell thus upping you chance of maximising his natural Movement distance, in other words Mage casts movement spell giving him extra die and he roles three instead of two, result two successes, (general roles two die without extras normally). If so can he use a third success for all his attached troops or only himself.

OK, I think I understand,  but to make sure, you're asking;

'Can you use a spell that boosts the Commander unit's Motivation score, and then use the boosted Motivation for a group move dice roll?'

The answer is, yes you can.  Spells are cast at the start of each phase, so the effect of boosted Motivation will apply during the Commander's movement.

Official Guru of our Warband rules!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Good question!
Now I have an image of commanders on rocket powered roller skates like Wile-E-Coyote!
Meep meep!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Roxxy

Quote from: mad lemmey on 20 July 2015, 10:29:43 AM
I got it, I was just waiting for Chieftain to answer. ;)

Quote from: Roxxy on 20 July 2015, 10:36:15 AM
ah ok

Great that is the question I was trying to ask, thanks.

Roxxy

Quote from: Chieftain on 20 July 2015, 03:14:03 PM
OK, I think I understand,  but to make sure, you're asking;

'Can you use a spell that boosts the Commander unit's Motivation score, and then use the boosted Motivation for a group move dice roll?'

The answer is, yes you can.  Spells are cast at the start of each phase, so the effect of boosted Motivation will apply during the Commander's movement.

ok that is the question, does it therefore mean that the attached units would also move, for example, up to three times if the general had 3 sucesses out of 4 die roles.

Chieftain

20 July 2015, 07:04:52 PM #125 Last Edit: 20 July 2015, 11:38:01 PM by Chieftain
Quote from: Roxxy on 20 July 2015, 05:01:25 PM
ok that is the question, does it therefore mean that the attached units would also move, for example, up to three times if the general had 3 sucesses out of 4 die roles.

Yes.  As per the usual group move rules.  Although its worth noting the unit only makes one move, not three.  The distance for the move is multiplied by the successes.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Hi Chieftain,
Quick question about generals.
Assembling my new improved force (or two) of goblins. If I have a wolf rider heavy force, working on mobility, why does the general not have an option to have extra movement? If he was on a chariot or a wolf, why would he be so much slower?
Just a mad ask.
ML
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Chieftain

Good question ML.

Its really an attempt to make commanders slower in most armies, so that you have to think about where to place them a bit more.

If you want to rationalise it 'in game', just consider the Goblin Chief has a heavier and slower chariot, or a lot of hangers on and attendants that slow him down, or perhaps a considerable paunch.   ;)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Fair enough, kind of what I figured! :)

Roxxy

Can a Mage use a hero ability he has cast on himself to boost a magical shooting attack?

stenicplus

Quote from: Roxxy on 21 July 2015, 01:03:31 AM
Can a Mage use a hero ability he has cast on himself to boost a magical shooting attack?

In other words cans CPs be used to boost and MP generated shooting attack, ie mage casts a missile attack for himself, can the general then boost this with CPs?

stenicplus

Quote from: Chieftain on 20 July 2015, 03:14:03 PM
OK, I think I understand,  but to make sure, you're asking;

The answer is, yes you can.  Spells are cast at the start of each phase, so the effect of boosted Motivation will apply during the Commander's movement.

I thought a group move cannot be enhanced? Bottom of page 24 says a group move is always unmodified and cannot be enhanced... Should this be in the errata then now that we can?

Chieftain

You see this is what happens when Lemmy pressures me into answering when i don't have the rules to hand!   ;D

D'oh!

Strike the former advice.  The rules are clear.

Group Moves

The army commander unit makes a motivation test.  This cannot be modified by the commander unit's Command Points, or by any magical or other effect that would act as a command point or command point modifier; it is always an unmodified test against the commander unit's Motivation.
p24

I shall not bow to peer pressure in future.   :D

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Hey! How did I... Oh yeah, sorry... :(

Roxxy

Quote from: Chieftain on 21 July 2015, 09:01:59 AM
You see this is what happens when Lemmy pressures me into answering when i don't have the rules to hand!   ;D

D'oh!

Strike the former advice.  The rules are clear.

Group Moves

The army commander unit makes a motivation test.  This cannot be modified by the commander unit's Command Points, or by any magical or other effect that would act as a command point or command point modifier; it is always an unmodified test against the commander unit's Motivation.
p24

Yer we read the rules last night didn't we sten, I did not have them when
I asked the question. Was too excited about finding a cunning way to try and get my dum undead to move.
I shall not bow to peer pressure in future.   :D