Rules Q&A

Started by Chieftain, 01 February 2015, 10:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmnash

Hi Chieftain,  I've got a Pendraken Hussite ary, I want to use in Warband. 

Any pointers for how to use the War Wagons in Warband?  :-\

Thank in advance, Colin

Chieftain

10 March 2015, 04:53:10 PM #31 Last Edit: 10 March 2015, 04:57:02 PM by Chieftain
Hi Colin,

That's not been developed yet.

I'd say poor motivation/movement, poor shooting, average combat, high protection, average morale; and special abilities like defensive, formed, slow shot, and resolute.

If armed with crossbows or light artillery, maybe also powerful.

:-\

This sort of thing might be seen in future.

Of course you can always include them in a Dragon Men army as a variant Handgunners unit?
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

cmnash

Thanks Chief;  I suspect that, given my current rate of painting, and that a Hiil Dwarf army has arrived, the future - and your take on war wagons - will have arrived before I need any details  :(

Thanks for replying though,

Colin

Bodvoc

Playing our game of Warband last night we found that most things we were not sure of were easily found in the rules. However a couple of things we couldn't find answers too were...

A red and blue unit are locked in melee frontally. A second blue unit charges the flank of the red unit, in the melee not enough casualties are caused to make any units fall back. In his next turn the Blue player wants his flanking unit to break off to turn to face approaching enemy units. Is he allowed to do so (with a Restricted Move) or is he locked in combat still?

A unit of trolls is rallied from routing, can they regenerate a point of Morale at the end of the same turn that they rallied.The fast play sheet with the sequence of game phases and the description of the regenerate rule seem to indicate that they can?

Otherwise the rest of the game ran smoothly.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Chieftain

11 March 2015, 11:59:42 AM #34 Last Edit: 11 March 2015, 12:05:49 PM by Chieftain
Hi Bodvoc

Quote from: Bodvoc on 11 March 2015, 11:42:19 AM
A red and blue unit are locked in melee frontally. A second blue unit charges the flank of the red unit, in the melee not enough casualties are caused to make any units fall back. In his next turn the Blue player wants his flanking unit to break off to turn to face approaching enemy units. Is he allowed to do so (with a Restricted Move) or is he locked in combat still?

Melee charge move (end of second paragraph)
'All units contacted are immediately locked into melee and cannot voluntarily move until they disengage.  Units may only disengage from melee contact as a result of a combat outcome move (fall back or rout).'

So, no, the Blue player flanking unit cannot voluntarily break off.

QuoteA unit of trolls is rallied from routing, can they regenerate a point of Morale at the end of the same turn that they rallied.The fast play sheet with the sequence of game phases and the description of the regenerate rule seem to indicate that they can?

'Three command points can be spent to rally a unit, and these must be spent during the protection and morale phase at the rally routed units step.  Such command points cannot be spent on a unit that is within 1BW of any enemy units.'

'A unit with regenerate that is not currently routing and did not suffer any morale loss this turn, restores one Morale point at the end of its protection and morale: rally routed units phase (6.5.3. and 6.6.3. in the turn sequence).'

So, the trolls are rallied by 3CP (restores 1 Morale) during the phase, and then at the end of the phase, they regenerate an additional 1 Morale - provided that they did not lose any Morale this turn.

I'd suggest its always best to run down and destroy routed units with a pursuit move (or subsequent contact) if at all possible!   ;)

Bodvoc

Brilliant, thanks for the quick reply. The flank situation was as we seemed to play right, we wouldn't let him break of. The troll regenerate, we just needed the clarification you just gave us.
Thanks again!
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Dunnadd

11 March 2015, 10:24:18 PM #36 Last Edit: 11 March 2015, 10:49:34 PM by Dunnadd
Why do elf archers only have 2D6 shooting, the same as barbarian, dragon men, or orc and goblin, or dwarven archers?  EDIT - AndyT pointed out elves have different unit options and looking it up they can get Powerful for any archers unit

(also seems to be an error on elf guard archers who have shooting of only 1D6? Or is there some reason for that?)

Chieftain

Quote from: Dunnadd on 11 March 2015, 10:24:18 PM
(also seems to be an error on elf guard archers who have shooting of only 1D6? Or is there some reason for that?)

Hi Dunnadd,

Its not an error. 

In the High elf list, the guard archers unit are spearmen backed by ranks of archers.  Therefore they sacrifice some shooting ability (fewer archers) in favour of close combat ability (better melee and protection than normal archers.  They also have optional upgrades not available to archers.

Dunnadd

ah right i see - thanks for the explanation

ricardo440

Hi,

We played our first 3 games this weekend. We certainly had fun.

I have a number of questions though that came up. wondering if I could get some clarifications.

1) When a unit falls back. Is it the intention that they are now WITHIN or WITHOUT one BW? i.e. would they need to make only restricted or charge moves?

2) Motivation stat seems more important than any other. your units are useless unless you can put them into a position where they get to do something.
Infact the motivation * the move is the important stat. Is that taken into account with the points? i.e. 2D6 2BW is at least TWICE as good as 2d6 1BW.

3) is there an ultimate restriction on movement? If I blow all my CPs on a unit is it OK I can charge it 10BW? THis may lead to your unit getting isolated, but with a fear causing unit they can hold their own quite nicely.

4) I understand that you can add in as many CPs after a roll is made. Can you add them one at a time? or must they be all at once.

5) We had an odd situation arising. When I used dragon men and cannon - at extreme range it was in my interest to blow all my CPs on a single cannon shot. I didn't have other stuff to spend them on. This made my cannon most effective at really long range. This seemed an odd quirk.
My opponent could save his command points for a protection roll, but he needed them for motivation to try to close the gap.

6) Having said that my opponent was able to avoid my cannon almost all the time by getting out of the firing lane. The Slow Shot I assume I am right in applying it even if the cannon only twists on the spot.

7) When are you allowed to charge a unit in the flank. From the example it seems that you can do it if you have enough movement, no matter your start position.

Cheers

Chieftain

16 March 2015, 08:18:07 PM #40 Last Edit: 16 March 2015, 08:24:36 PM by Chieftain
Hi Ricardo

Quote from: ricardo440 on 16 March 2015, 07:17:05 PM
Hi,

We played our first 3 games this weekend. We certainly had fun.

Glad you liked them!  Would you consider putting up a batrep thread, or perhaps a 'review of your thoughts about the rules?

1) When a unit falls back. Is it the intention that they are now WITHIN or WITHOUT one BW? i.e. would they need to make only restricted or charge moves?

A unit that falls back 1BW remains within 1BW of the opponent (see Distances p4).

2) Motivation stat seems more important than any other. your units are useless unless you can put them into a position where they get to do something.
Infact the motivation * the move is the important stat. Is that taken into account with the points? i.e. 2D6 2BW is at least TWICE as good as 2d6 1BW.

Motivation is important.  More important than other abilities?   :-\

3) is there an ultimate restriction on movement? If I blow all my CPs on a unit is it OK I can charge it 10BW? THis may lead to your unit getting isolated, but with a fear causing unit they can hold their own quite nicely.

There is no restrictions on the maximum distance that can be generated by a CP-boosted Motivations test.
You could charge 10BW if the Motivation roll generates that distance and terrain doesn't limit you.
It would lead to a unit being isolated.  

4) I understand that you can add in as many CPs after a roll is made. Can you add them one at a time? or must they be all at once.

That's up to you, either way is fine, provided the CPs are spent immediately before or after the dice are rolled.
Note also, that you can continue to spend CP until you decide to stop.
E.g. you roll 2d6 and fail a Motivation test.  So you spend 2 CP and roll +2d6.  Still fail, so you could spend more CP, etc.

5) We had an odd situation arising. When I used dragon men and cannon - at extreme range it was in my interest to blow all my CPs on a single cannon shot. I didn't have other stuff to spend them on. This made my cannon most effective at really long range. This seemed an odd quirk.
My opponent could save his command points for a protection roll, but he needed them for motivation to try to close the gap.

How does it make your cannon 'most effective' at long range?

If I were your opponent, i'd consider the use of terrain to break up your cannon's sight lines.   :D

6) Having said that my opponent was able to avoid my cannon almost all the time by getting out of the firing lane. The Slow Shot I assume I am right in applying it even if the cannon only twists on the spot.

Yes, slow shot applies if your unit makes any motivated move (basic, restricted, melee), even to pivot on the spot.

7) When are you allowed to charge a unit in the flank. From the example it seems that you can do it if you have enough movement, no matter your start position.

Cheers

The flank attack bonus applies based on the position of the unit at the completion of its melee charge move (p23).  If your unit has the move to get around onto an opponents flank, it may do so.  Positioning of units to prevent this is wise.   ;)

angstboy

Thank you for the previous responses, they've filled in a number of my questions.  One more question though: during the Protection phase, can you "heal" wounds taken on previous turns, or only on the turn that they were inflicted?

Chieftain

17 March 2015, 12:22:56 AM #42 Last Edit: 17 March 2015, 12:34:11 AM by Chieftain
Hi angstboy,

Your commander can use three Command Points for the rally inspiration to restore a lost Morale point on any friendly unit.  
This includes Morale lost in previous turns or during this turn.  

You can rally multiple Morale points on one or more units, provided you have the CPs to do so.

Note that the unit being rallied cannot be within 1BW of any enemy unit.

Kiwidave

Is there a points formula for units?

I'm trying to put together a list based (loosely) on the Hoplite-era Greeks, plus some mythological beasties - mainly due to having a load of them for Warmaster than never got finished.

Most of the units I can figure out, but some I can't find similar units elsewhere; it would be handy if I could come up with appropriate points for them.

Cheers,

KD

Chieftain