AWI heads?

Started by clibinarium, 04 August 2010, 03:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clibinarium

I was looking through what needs to be done in the AWI range, and the problem of obscure troops keeps reoccurring. There are some troops which appear in so small numbers that even someone doing battles at 1:10 ratio would not need more than a handful. For instance the more unusual types of light company headgear for the British. i did a pack to cover the 5th's company, but realisticaly I can't do that for all the different companies.
What I could do however, since all their uniforms are the same, is do a sprue of heads, which people could use to convert their light infantry. Many, many of the the variations of AWI troops are not much more than headgear.
This does involve being able to remove and replace the heads of the ordinary figures, i.e. to cut the head off and drill a hole for the new head. As a sculptor this is my everday work, but perhaps not everyone would be inclined to do this. I just wanted to know how many people would use such sprues if they were produced.

If most votes are for yes, that does not necessarily mean they will be produced, since I'd have to see if Pendraken thought it was viable production wise.

lentulus

I have done head swaps with Pendraken figures, and no-one would call me dextrous.  Now "drill a hole" sounds ambitious - the best I could do was get a clean, flat join and let the superglue do its stuff.

If pendraken wanted to do a test run, I would be willing to be a guinea pig; photos of gnarled arthritic fingers supplied on request.

republic of tolworth

Sounds like a great idea to me.

One of the basic hand drills is easy to use and usualy gets a wonderful clean finish. Small section of rod(I think model zone do these) and a good stable conversion is done!

Great idea Clib go for it 8)
League of the dayglow Aztec Empire.

Dazza

Pendraken could also sell the drill and rod :)

LEON.......  another market for ya :P

Dazza
Dazza's 10mm Miniature Armies : http://www.ukstrike.co.uk
" AWI, Colonial, WW2 & Vietnam"

AWI Photos : https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,560.0.html

Never argue with an idiot; He'll drag you down to his level and beat you by experience.

goat major

count me in!! great idea  :D
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

clibinarium

Quote from: lentulus on 04 August 2010, 04:04:25 PM
I have done head swaps with Pendraken figures, and no-one would call me dextrous.  Now "drill a hole" sounds ambitious - the best I could do was get a clean, flat join and let the superglue do its stuff.

The heads would be on sprues, so you could cut them off and attach them flat with superglue. I personally wouldn't since they are in some (small) danger of being pinged off, but if it works for you then I don't see a problem with doing them that way.

Jagger

05 August 2010, 01:58:08 PM #6 Last Edit: 05 August 2010, 02:00:34 PM by Jagger
You can make a small indentation or hole using a sharp pointed knife and rotating the point.  It is tricky but can be done.  I have considered a drill but have no idea who would sell a tiny, tiny drill.  Are they manual drills or electric drills?

I like the whole concept of replacing heads to expand a line.  One of the big problems with the 10mm world, in general-not AWI, is the lack of choice and variety in too many periods.   Anything that expands the choice and variety of poses is welcome by me.

morrigan

That would work for me.

I have used a dremel with a very fine cutter to replace the cast on ECW pikes with longer nylon broom bristles. Time consuming but it worked well. Heads shouldn't be a problem.

YORSTONS

Count me in too. I have some very,very small drill bits i bought from my local model shop which i think would do the job, so i will have to give it a go and see how easy it is.
I am not sure what size they are but i use them for drilling holes in my langton dutch war ships.

clibinarium

Quote from: Jagger on 05 August 2010, 01:58:08 PM
You can make a small indentation or hole using a sharp pointed knife and rotating the point.  It is tricky but can be done.  I have considered a drill but have no idea who would sell a tiny, tiny drill.  Are they manual drills or electric drills?

Mirco drills are relatively easy to get, and are very useful for lots of modelling jobs. It can be tricky to get the hang of, but once you do they are easy to use.  Here's a pic of the Foundry one (not that I am suggesting either that you buy or don't buy from Foundry)

17-21l

Yip - fine idea, I mean anything for a bit of variety, and the ACW range is fab, so aditions for a small amount of work?? - cant winge.  Ive done a few conversions on some 10mm Naps, head swops, but they are ofeten knocked off ,or just drop off due to crap jobs, so the idea of drilling - good idea, would make it a lot stabler ( if such a word exists?)
So gin - an dea it, utll be toppa

:D

( or - you could just get on with doing the Napoleonic range !!  ;))
God Save the Queen
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

republic of tolworth

That's the drill I use.
Fine enough to drill a hole in a 10mm figs hand and turn a sword waver in to a banner man no prob.
Necks of 10mm are pretty easy with one these. ;)

Jagger

Thanks for the advice on the drill bit set.   I will check into it.

Does Pendraken sell dollies if someone wanted to experiment with some scuplting?

Leon

Quote from: Jagger on 06 August 2010, 08:28:02 PM
Thanks for the advice on the drill bit set.   I will check into it.

Does Pendraken sell dollies if someone wanted to experiment with some scuplting?

We could send you some out if you wanted to have a go?  Remind me in an email and we'll pop some in the post for you.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

republic of tolworth

OOoo must say I'm tempted to have a go at sculpting :-\