Falklands War - Early Wip pics.

Started by Techno, 01 January 2012, 10:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Cheers Nosher.

That certainly IS a big piece of kit....My pretty (flat art..not photos) piccys must incorrectly show the newer model.
I'll just leave one of those and pick the others off.....Might even save that just for a prone sniper if one's required ?

Question you might be able to answer for me ?.....Again looking at pretty flat art, they seem to portray 'something' tacked on to the end of some of the SLRs....A flash eliminator ?
If I can do a not too chunky version of whatever it is, I can elongate the barrels by adding that....Otherwise I might try a 'dodge' I picked up from the Perrys, but have never tried myself..... rather than messing too severely with the models. :-\

Thanks - Phil.

Nosher

Phil do you have a photo/pic of the 'something' tacked onto the end of some of the SLR's? Yes there is a flash eliminator at the end of an SLR barrel but in 10mm it would be negligible?

The only thing that springs to mind we ever 'tacked' onto the end of an SLR barrel (other than a bayonet!) is a blank firing attachment
Might be able to help if you have a pic thats postable or a webpicture?
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Techno

Hi Nosher.

Even in the 'pretty pics' it's relatively tiny....I'm sure it must be a flash eliminator.....
I'll have a 'play' with just one of the SLRs to see what it comes out like....Think I can make it work, without it looking silly (fingers crossed)
Amazingly....Pretty sure I know what the blank firing attachment looks like....Good bit more noticeable.

Thanks - Phil.

Dazza

06 January 2012, 06:00:39 PM #33 Last Edit: 06 January 2012, 06:10:58 PM by Dazza
not something like this then ?

L1A1 - Muzzle cover (It is of a rubberised foam construction, 15cm overall length, and attatches to the rifle with a hole in the tail, which you pull over the bayonet lug.)

or could it be one of these :

the L6A1 BFA, its a massive, solid BFA capable of trapping a bullet if needed.

Left to Right
Canadian C1 BFA
Canadian C1A1 BFA (also British L1A1 BFA)
British L1A2 BFA
British L1A2 (modified) BFA
British L6A1 BFA
Australian BFA

Dazza
Dazza's 10mm Miniature Armies : http://www.ukstrike.co.uk
" AWI, Colonial, WW2 & Vietnam"

AWI Photos : https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,560.0.html

Never argue with an idiot; He'll drag you down to his level and beat you by experience.

Rob

Quote from: Techno on 06 January 2012, 10:52:43 AM
Even in the 'pretty pics' it's relatively tiny....I'm sure it must be a flash eliminator.....
I'll have a 'play' with just one of the SLRs to see what it comes out like....Think I can make it work, without it looking silly (fingers crossed)
Amazingly....Pretty sure I know what the blank firing attachment looks like....Good bit more noticeable.

Miles laser?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_Integrated_Laser_Engagement_System

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: mad lemmey on 06 January 2012, 06:42:54 PM
In 1982?  :o

Yep -  but not I think on rifles.

BFA's were normally the smaller types.
The II sight is a Starlight Scope - large and heavy.
IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Shoot me down in flames Guys...
But....As far as the sights are concerned....Could it be that the artist has taken his reference from the sights that the Argentine army used on their SLRs ?
From the limited research I've been able to do, it appears that the 'bad guys' had more up to date resources than our chaps....(Though they blamed their defeat on THEM having inferior equipment.)?

The 'flash eliminator'......It's been portrayed as something much 'cleaner and neater' than Dazza's rubber thingy pic.....Can't believe it's supposed to represent any of the yellow 'wossnames'.

But the help is VERY much appreciated.....

Thanks All - Cheers - Phil. (who's very dazed and confused this morning.....Bought myself a spiffy new soldering iron which arrived yesterday.....I reckon I've given myself an overdose of Butane.....Couldn't get the damn iron to fire up.....Over and over and over again.... But would I go outside in the fresh air.....No "It'll go next time " !
Boy did I feel horrid last night.

nikharwood

Might be worth having a look at the Vietnam Aussies Phil - their SLRs look great...

Loads more pics here: http://nikharwood.pbworks.com/w/page/7825429/CWC%20Australian%20battlegroup

Techno

Ta Nik.

I'm going to have a go at lengthening the SLRs I've done on the models already, using a tiny speck of solder on the very tip of the barrels (and then neatening them up with my custom made 'emery boards' and a miniscule smidgeon of putty.)
If that doesn't work I'll redo them....Though I'll probably have to have a hissy fit first. ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil. (Good paint job on the sci-fi marines Matey...Spot on !)

Smee

During the conflict Brits didn't have many sights as standard (relied mainly on the iron ones) so could be a waste modeling them with, a more common sight than the night sight was the early version of a SUSAT which was detachable. The 1980's SLR was exactly the same as the ANZAC SLR for sizes and visual aspects. It was also fairly rare to use the carrying handle as the sling was a lot more comfortable and left your hands free.

The LMG (converted Bren gun) was also used by the engineers as the standard section LMG, and dont forget the SMG issued to rad ops and officers, amongst others ;) also  a M2 .50 cal was used for air defence.

Just a thought but if you model the para's they had para helmets instead of the old metal basin everyone else had. A lot of troops (especially the marines) had civie items like gaters and bergans.

A BFA would not of been found anywhere near troops in combat btw ;)

TimeCast

12 January 2012, 12:51:26 PM #41 Last Edit: 12 January 2012, 02:55:00 PM by Leon
Quote from: Techno on 05 January 2012, 08:42:21 PM
C'mon Fred
It's Swiss roll for goodness sake.....Isn't it obvious ? ;)
Oh ....all right then..It's his sleeping mat rolled up.

You can't see it from the front, but the chap on the right of the British forces is loaded up to the nines with kit.....So I thought I'd do one of the Argentinians in a similar fashion.
How those guys carried all that stuff is totally beyond me....I don't think I could even lift the British kit onto my back.....Let alone march mile after mile with it....Stroll on !...Full of admiration for them.

Most of the guys only carried fighting order rather than lugging the bergans around as well, particularly on the march across the island. However, fighting order usually came to well in excess of 50lbs even without all the extra ammunition, heavy weapons etc. A Milan operator's fighting load came to well over 120lbs IIRC. My kit (including rucksack) weighed in at about 104lbs and I only carried an SMG. A lot of the weight came from the extra arctic clothing (oversmock, waterproofs, quilted under suit, underwear etc) and rations which filled the rucksack. Fortunately I only had to walk about a mile carrying that lot, the rest of the time I moved by helicopter.

Anyway I digress. Here at TimeCast we have been liaising with Leon regarding this range and we are planning on have a range of buildings and scenics for the Falklands war ready for April. The models will be based on photographs (as usual), including some from my own photo album. Keep any eye on the TimeCast website in the next couple of months.

Barrie
TimeCast

EDIT: Quote fixed.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Hello Barrie!
Nice to see you here!  :D
Will
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Nosher

REALLY GOOD to note that Timecast will be backing this venture too ;)

Already putting pennies away for this one!
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

OldenBUA

Quote from: TimeCast on 12 January 2012, 12:51:26 PM
Anyway I digress. Here at TimeCast we have been liaising with Leon regarding this range and we are planning on have a range of buildings and scenics for the Falklands war ready for April. The models will be based on photographs (as usual), including some from my own photo album. Keep any eye on the TimeCast website in the next couple of months.

Or as some would say "Top-notch".  8)
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.