Paras Passports - D-Day Remembered

Started by John Cook, 09 June 2024, 02:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cook

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jun/06/british-paratroopers-landing-in-france-for-d-day-event-told-to-show-passports

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/28331845/brit-paras-d-day-french-immigration-passports/

Maybe if they'd had some of these bureaucratic bell-ends in 1940 they would have slowed the Wehrmacht down a bit.  A Maginot Line of clipboards and offialdom to ensure that the Germans all had the correct visas and the panzers the appropriate insurance documents.  On the other hand, if the Paras had been armed to the the teeth, they could have just kept on going until they got to Paris. 

Corso

Because the current issue is people breaking into France from Britain  :-\
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Raider4

And after September they'll be fingerprinted as well  :(

EU Travel Rule Change

flamingpig0

"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Last Hussar

It could have been better handled- doing the checks before take off - but that is the law.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

John Cook

Indeed.  A pity the French don't spend the same kind of effort with the illegals that are camped on their side of the Channel.

Last Hussar

GNU PTerry

Shedman

US troops were subject to the same passport checks but, because they arrived earlier, they did not need to be checked a second time.

John Cook

Quote from: Last Hussar on 10 June 2024, 07:58:27 AMThey do. It just isn't reported.

Really?  If it isn't being reported where is the evidence to be found - we need to know?  The French "extraire la pisse", I think and, clearly, need to do much better, notwithstanding that the UK government is paying for a lot of the measures, that the French should be implementing anyway.  Being "sans papiers", used to be an offence in France.   

John Cook

Quote from: Shedman on 10 June 2024, 08:53:33 AMUS troops were subject to the same passport checks but, because they arrived earlier, they did not need to be checked a second time.
Quote from: Raider4 on 09 June 2024, 06:06:59 PMAnd after September they'll be fingerprinted as well  :(

EU Travel Rule Change

These are not tourists, they are troops of another NATO country.  There used to be something called the Status of Forces Agreement as I remember, and in 25 years in the army prior to 1993 I was involved in exercises in Canada, Kenya and Oman and not once do I remember being asked to queue to show my passport and have my photo taken at some temporary border post.  The Soviets used to do it when you transited the Berlin corridor though. This, it seems to me, was the French being French and has all the appearance of an intended slight.

Orcs

Quote from: John Cook on 10 June 2024, 11:45:59 AMThese are not tourists, they are troops of another NATO country.  There used to be something called the Status of Forces Agreement as I remember, and in 25 years in the army prior to 1993 I was involved in exercises in Canada, Kenya and Oman and not once do I remember being asked to queue to show my passport and have my photo taken at some temporary border post.  The Soviets used to do it when you transited the Berlin corridor though. This, it seems to me, was the French being French and has all the appearance of an intended slight.

They never asked for passports in 1944-'45.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

England and Wales voted to drag us out of the EU so that we could be a sovereign nation ... this is what sovereignty looks like. We are a foreign nation and are being treated as such. I can't believe anyone is surprised.

However, this is a wargames forum not a political one and I suggest this has run far enough and propose the thread be locked.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Last Hussar

GNU PTerry

Techno 3

I'll do this later

Leon

I saw this ping up on social media over the weekend with people like the Mail and Farage outraged at this treatment from the French.  The daft thing is that this isn't anything new, an ex-servicemen pointed out that they'd had to do the same on a similar D-Day drop a few years back.  The only difference this time is that it's been video'd and then blown out of all proportion.

I do find the hypocrisy amusing, as the people who have been screaming about protecting borders and illegal immigrants now have an issue when another country legally controls their own border.  Granted they could have done it in a more discreet manner (as Shedman mentions) but it is what it is. 

I saw a lot of people making this into a Brexit/EU issue too, but any British person has always had to show their passport to get into France, whether it's a D-Day re-enactment, a holiday, or a booze run on the Eurostar to get some French plonk.  We were never in Schengen so were never allowed free movement into other EU countries.

Quote from: Ithoriel on 10 June 2024, 05:22:30 PMHowever, this is a wargames forum not a political one and I suggest this has run far enough and propose the thread be locked.

Very true, Techno's hit the lock button on this.  There's going to be a lot of political conversation over the next few weeks so probably best if we keep our little corner of the internet free from it.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!