Question about a Blunder

Started by Xavier, 25 May 2024, 05:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

The other night, a situation came up that we didn't quite know how to resolve.

A unit was given it's first order by a HQ. The HQ rolled a double six, and the blunder result caused the unit to make one full move forward.

According to the rules, a unit that is not given a successful order the first time can have an order given later by the CO.

We weren't sure if this still applies in the situation above. Because the unit moved, after a Blunder from the HQ, does it count as having received and order, albeit an incorrect order, or does it count has not having received and order at all, and so is eligible for another attempt from the CO?

Big Insect

The Blunder counts as a 'successful' order - so that unit cannot be Commander later in the game by the CO.
An unsuccessful order is when you fail a command roll, that does not result in a blunder.
It's the same in all the Commander rules, but we've had this come up previously, so we'll put a clarification in the CWCII errata.
Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Superscribe

I think Big Insect meant to say a unit that blunders cannot be ordered by CO later in the same game turn :)

Big Insect

Quote from: Superscribe on 28 May 2024, 10:56:04 AMI think Big Insect meant to say a unit that blunders cannot be ordered by CO later in the same game turn :)

Absolutely - thank you  :D
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Westbury

Devils advocate question then. Does this mean then that after the successful order that brought on the bonus or blunder the player can roll for another order or does the bonus/blunder halt that order phase? We've assumed it does but now I'm thinking again.

fred.

I find the idea that a Blunder is defined as a successful order is really odd. Surely it's a failed order. And if you want to excluded a unit being given an order by the CO after a blunder, then just have this as an exception to the CO re-order rule. 

After a unit has blundered you can't give it another order (that turn).

QuoteDevils advocate question then. Does this mean then that after the successful order that brought on the bonus or blunder the player can roll for another order or does the bonus/blunder halt that order phase? We've assumed it does but now I'm thinking again.
Not quite sure what is meant by bonus here. If you mean rolling a double 1 so getting a second bonus order, then yes you can order the unit again. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Big Insect

QuoteI find the idea that a Blunder is defined as a successful order is really odd. Surely it's a failed order. And if you want to excluded a unit being given an order by the CO after a blunder, then just have this as an exception to the CO re-order rule.

After a unit has blundered you can't give it another order (that turn).

Not quite sure what is meant by bonus here. If you mean rolling a double 1 so getting a second bonus order, then yes you can order the unit again.

It is a rules 'mechanism' folks.

I am sure I could come up with some sort of complex wording that covers when an order (successful or otherwise) is received and acted upon (whether correctly or incorrectly) but TBF I really don't think it is worth the effort.
This rule has been in place since the very first launch of BKC way (way, way) back at the dawn of 'Commander' time.
As far as the unit is concerned, it has received an order and acted upon it. The fact that it may have misunderstood that order ("send two & fourpence, we are going to a dance") resulting in catastrophic consequences, is irrelevant.

A score of 12 means that a unit has Blundered, which also means it cannot be re-ordered that game-turn by a more senior officer, under any circumstance.
That's it ... no arguments (please)  I thank you :D
Mark

Westbury

Cool. We were doing it wrong. Always good to ask the experts  :)