Furiosa - A MAD MAX SAGA

Started by Big Insect, 25 May 2024, 12:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

Well ... being that Mad Max fan that I am I went and saw the new Furiosa film last night (opening night).

The trailers looked absolutely great, full of power and raw energy ... however ... it is good but it is not truly brilliant.
Not really a patch on 'Fury Road', but then we had waited decades for an updated sequel to the original films, and Tom Hardy & Charlize Theron truly made 'Fury Road' their own.

I also have to say that Anya Taylor-Joy just doesn't do it for me as a younger Furiosa - not a patch on Theron's portrayal. She doesn't have the depth or gravitas, or brooding menace to pull it off. And IMHO she does little in the film to end up with the epitaph "the darkest of angels, the 5th horseman of the apocalypses".
In fact Alyla Browne, as the even younger Furiosa, is closer to Theron's performance than Taylor-Joys, by saying more with her eyes and menacing mood than Taylor-Joy ever can. But then I am a big Theron fan and she's a hard act to follow!

Is there action, yes. Are there lots of new crazy futuristic road-war machines, yes. Do we get new characters (in the shape of Chris Hemsworth as Dr Dementius - a power crazed biker gang lord - riding a 3 bike chariot), yes. And is it visually FWC inspiring - hell yes! But does this film act as an adequate back-story to 'Fury Road', well yes, sort of, maybe.

However, it is slow in places and also (spoiler alert) there is a massive cop-out at the end - just where is that big battle-scene the whole film is building up to???
Plus if they are going to put in a vignette of Max, at least make the actor look a bit like Hardy (or even Mel Gibson!) in silhouette - or even CGI him in - it wouldn't have been that hard.

Anyway - it's a good enough film pre-qual to 'Fury Road' to make it worth watching - ideally on a big screen I'd suggest; or even on your favored streaming service, if you are not that big a dystopian sci-fi road-warrior as I am  :D ... "the future belongs to the mad!"

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Leon

Sorry to hear it's not quite up to scratch as I've been eagerly awaiting this coming out.  Fury Road is my favourite of the Mad Max films so I had high expectations from the new one. 

I'm not a cinema fan usually (too many munchers, crunchers and crinklers for me) but I might make an exception in a couple of weeks when it's a bit quieter.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Big Insect

QuoteSorry to hear it's not quite up to scratch

I'm not that disparaging about it Leon - it's just not 'Fury Road'. Which, as you say was a stunning revelation when it came out. It was/is a hard act to follow and Furiosa does as 'good-enough' a job as any pre-qual can do IMHO.
Also, the thing is, George Miller would really have to pull the stops out to come up with something that tops 'Fury Road'. He's tried, but its just not there (for me).

NB: I hadn't realized that most of the desert scenes were filmed in Namibia (as was 'Fury Road') when we all thought it was in the Australian outback ... who'd have guessed  :o
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Still haven't seen Furry Toad, what stream servers are showing it?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Big Insect

Quote from: Duke Speedy of Leighton on 25 May 2024, 02:30:35 PMStill haven't seen Furry Toad, what stream servers are showing it?
None yet - it was only released in Cinemas yesterday (in UK anyway) :D

Ithoriel

QuoteNone yet - it was only released in Cinemas yesterday (in UK anyway) :D

He's asking about Fury Road rather than Furiosa.

Apparently, UK options are :-

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Big Insect

Ah - yes - I have it on (old fashioned) DVD - so no restrictions on watching it as & when I want  :)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Raider4

Saw a brief action clip of the new film. Looked terribly "digital". Not real at all. Put me right off. Unlikely I'd have gone anyway.