Vallejo Stone Textures

Started by Genom, 25 January 2024, 06:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genom

Does anyone have experience in using the Vallejo Stone Textures with 10mm models, how does it apply, does it need painted over etc.

I usually use teabags and pva to texture the base and bring the level up to account for the moulded bases, but when I'm doing that I usually need to paint the models once they're on the base because it's a bit messy.

So I'm thinking this is likely applied with a small spatula type thing and will hopefully dry good for some sand type basing.

Leon

I've used it a few times and it goes on nicely.  The only thing I'd recommend is a couple of thinner layers as it does have quite a bit of moisture in it and sinks down as it dries.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

John Cook

Quote from: Genom on 25 January 2024, 06:33:27 PMDoes anyone have experience in using the Vallejo Stone Textures with 10mm models, how does it apply, does it need painted over etc.

No experience with Vallejo's stuff, but I use a cement/mortar mix for texturing.  I had a 5kg bag left over from an extension built 20 years ago and thought I'd give it a go.  It works perfectly.  Just paint the base with PVA glue, dip it into the dry mortar mix, give it a shake and blow off the residue and you have a perfect earth coloured base that just need dressing with some flock and a bit of static grass, etc. 

Last Hussar

Ok - I know wargamers always have a load of stuff laying around unused when the go to the Big Table In The Sky, but a bag of cement has to be a new one...  ;D  ;D
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Roy

Not wanting to stray too far from the original topic, but ... Not used cement, but I have used decorator's caulk. Squeezed out using a skeletal gun, then spread with a pallet knife, leaving bumps/ridges/gaps, then paint over it as usual once its cured.
Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

Ithoriel

Polyfilla, dental picks, clay sculpting tools and fine sand are my go to for basing.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

John Cook

Quote from: Last Hussar on 26 January 2024, 10:59:17 AMOk - I know wargamers always have a load of stuff laying around unused when the go to the Big Table In The Sky, but a bag of cement has to be a new one...  ;D  ;D

I know, it sound a bit extreme but it was left by the builders and was sitting in the garage, so I took a look at it out of curiosity and thought, 'I can use that'.  It is the kind of mortar used for brick laying, quite fine and just perfect for stands.  The PVA is damp enoung to cure it and it, more or less, covers the bases of the figures.  It needs no painting but the downside is it comes in 5kg bags!

DHautpol

Rather than using a spatula or cocktail stick to push the paste into position, I use a cheapish paintbrush.  A size 1 or 2 with man-made bristles will be fine.

I find that a brush gives you more flexibility in working the paste into awkward places.  You can clean the brushes in water quite quickly and this enables you to keep a decent point on the brush and manoeuvre between the figures.
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

bobm

I use the dark earth texture (which is more grey than brown, this strongly resembles the earth colour around my house but I've seen comments that some would prefer something more brown).  Dry brush after its gone off.  Apply scatter (Javis rough pasture) to some of the base.  Then a lighter dry brush of the areas lacking scatter.  Then occasional small tufts.
The Vallejo stuff does shrink a little as it cures.small 20230222_185027.jpg