Deep Fried Lard 2022

Started by Ithoriel, 19 June 2022, 05:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

No, not a thread about unhealthy eating! :)

Spent the day yesterday at Musselburgh Rugby Club attending the eponymous Deep Fried Lard 2022 event and a great day it was too!

Deep Fried Lard is a celebration of the Two Fat Lardies rule systems with games being run (and participated in) from 09:30 to 17:00 with a break for lunch.

Tea, coffee sand biscuits were provided but lunch was "bring your own."

Cost for the day was £5 to cover the cost of the Rugby Club hire.

Not sure of exact numbers present but I'd guess around three dozen, give or take.

Those not running games were quickly found a game to play, if they hadn't already organised that before hand.

I wound up as Admiral of the Spanish Navy in a Kreigspiel game set in the Napoleonic period and featuring the fictional invasion of Spanish Cuba by the dastardly British. My two team members controlled Spanish land forces. The British captured two of their objectives and were strongly contesting a third (Havana) when the game ended, despite my unexpected crushing defeat of the British Navy. Two thirds to three quarters of the British Navy destroyed in battle and the remainder destroyed when the Spanish Generalissimo captured half the British transports  and turned them into fireships!  The game was an absolute hoot with neither side having much idea what was going on. In the end honours were about even, I reckon, but the definite winners were the players who had an entertaining mornings gaming. Hats off to Tom for devising the scenario and then keeping the game going at a good pace.

In the afternoon I was paired up with Chris to run the Roman side of a Strength and Honour game of Mons Graupius 84AD run by Charley. Despite Chris and I going down to ignominious defeat in both of the games we managed to fit in we had a blast. The more I see of and play Strength and Honour the more I like it. With small numbers of units and with manoeuvre being difficult you might expect a slugfest but the simple, elegant rules allow a a lot of tactical nuance.

Had Chris and I been able to avoid fluffing almost every crucial die roll, both games could have gone the other way.

Game 2 in progress. Bottom left, Chris is about to chase the Caledonian skirmishers off the table. One of our few successes.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

My dentists asks that you do everything you can to promote those "sand biscuits" that you mention.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

They are very tasty, if a bit gritty in texture :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Tad far for me but looks like a good day
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021