CWC-II Rules Errata (Open)

Started by Big Insect, 24 May 2022, 09:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

24 May 2022, 09:29:44 AM Last Edit: 24 May 2022, 09:55:55 AM by Big Insect
Please confine your posts to this thread purely to Rules errata or suggestions (there is a separate thread for Army List Errata) - thank you.

I know I am tempting fate here, but I've opened this thread to allow players to specifically notify us/me of any errata they find in the rules (please use the separate thread for Army List errata - thank you).

There are already some "known knowns" ... such as a couple of rouge 'X' (Page 49  Machine Guns) or 'XXXX's (Page 83 - Scenario 16- generic helicopter stats*) where I had planned to put in a reference or a specific example or a short-table and then forgot!
Despite nearly 20 people then proof-reading the final draft before going to print, these 2 slipped through. And (no-doubt) there will be others. 

If you can kindly provide me with the specific page number of any issues, along with (ideally) a copy of the offending errata, I will compile these and we can correct them in the online down-load set and in any future reprint.

Many thanks (in anticipation) for your support with this matter.
Mark

* We will put up a 'sticky' thread with the missing generic helicopter stats - especially as in the playtesting this particular 'new' scenario was deemed to be a huge success - it is challenging for both players  :D 
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Superscribe

Hi

The 'Target Unit is in' table on P39 doesn't seem to be mentioned in the 'Calculating Firing' section on P38.  Whilst I think I understand how it is to be used, there is no explanation until you read the para below the table 'For example, if an infantry unit........'

I think it needs some explanatory text in the preceding firing paragraphs on P38.

Regards

Chris

Big Insect

Thanks Chris - this is probably one of those things where I've been playing (& play-testing) the mechanism for so long that I instinctively know how it works. I get you point that for somebody new to CWC that it might not make sense. Cover generally makes things harder to hit and will also effect the ability to spot & target a unit.

Then it might also reduce the effectiveness of the attackers weaponry (by reducing the number of shooting dice). In some instances this may completely remove the attackers attack dice or significantly reduce those dice.
A more thorough example is probably the best way to resolve this:
e.g. an Infantry unit in a bunker is shot at by an APC mounted MG (AP:1/50) that is 20cm away from the bunker. The MG gets a +1 d6 as it is shooting under half range, but the Bunker causes the loss of 3 x d6 for protection - so the MG will have no effect on the Infantry inside it as it is (in effect) reduced to -1/50.

Does that help at all Chris?
Thanks
Marl
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Superscribe

Hi Marl

I understand how the factors work and the extra example does help but I still think it needs something in the Firing Modifiers section as these dice are adjusted before the firer throws for hits.

I suggest something like this immediately after the modifiers table on P38:
"The terrain or position that the target is in will also affect the chance of a hit; modify dice throws in accordance with the table on P39"

Regards

Chris

Superscribe

Hi

On Page 50 it states that wire-guided ATGW may not be fired over water [or power lines].  I understand that this is what it says in CWC1 as well. However cwc1 house rules on the CWC Facebook site suggest no firing over water that is 30cm or wider.

Many games have rivers of around 2" wide with a few having much wider rivers.  With the ground scale in CWC2 a river 2" wide equates to 50 to 100m wide. I am sure that a river or canal of this width would have an insignificant effect on these missiles, unlike a river as wide the Rhine. Some gamers have streams narrower than this which would have even less of an effect.

I suggest the rule is amended to allow wire-guided missiles to be fired over narrow waterways (perhaps up to 4"/100mm wide) and not be permitted over waterways wider than this.

Thoughts?

Regards

Chris

Superscribe

Amongst the recce rules on P31 the table bottom right (Score Required to Hit) seems to be on the wrong page (it is also on P38).

Superscribe

Hi

On Page 50 it states that IATW attacks may only be used once in a turn.  House Rules on the CWC Facebook suggest IATW can fire twice, once as opportunity fire and once in player's own phase.

Infantry sections carry multiple LAW66 (British) and RPG (Soviet) and being able to fire only once seems to be very restrictive compared to the quantity of weapons they actually carried.

Being able to fire twice in a turn, as suggested in the house rules, seems more realistic

Thoughts?

Regards

Chris

Big Insect

Quote from: Superscribe on 24 May 2022, 11:34:09 PMOn Page 50 it states that IATW attacks may only be used once in a turn.  House Rules on the CWC Facebook suggest IATW can fire twice, once as opportunity fire and once in player's own phase.

Thanks Chris

This is a deliberate change - the challenge is that some IATW are 'throw-away' and some are reusable - and also that some formations carried many re-arms and some carried very few or had their IATW spread out.
The view I took was that the 2 shots per game turn was a bit too generous - especially for a lot of the heavier IATW or earlier ones. Some forces (the Dutch) have an option to buy two different types of IATW and they get an option to shoot twice per game turn.

As an aside a chap who came to the Pendraken stand at Partizan who was in Berlin in the 1980s stated that the British infantry squads were armed with 4 LAW each (!!!!) and that the 5 man teams were each allocated to a specific multi-storey car-park to use as a defensive point. So that's 20 IATW per squad. In training, you could fire the LAW from an upper storey and have thrown away the 'empty' tube and be almost on another floor by the time it hit the target. He also said that multi-storey car parks were selected as they were made from reinforced concrete, had great visibility, you had loads of exits and entrances, you could fire your LAW with no danger from the back-blast (in fact it often shot-out of the other side so acted to distract an enemy) and if you occupied the middle storeys you had great overhead protection from the air and from mortars. All theoretical of course ... but that was the thinking of how they'd have conducted street to street fighting, had it been necessary.

sultanbev

I just found a 1969 British Mech Battalion TOE, and it states each squad had 6x M72 LAW as well as the Carl Gustav, and, unusually, 2 LMG. So yes, not unusual to have lots of LAWs.
Even in WW2, the official allocation of Panzerfausts in the 1944 German army was 36 per company.

LAWs were generally considered as ammunition rather than weapons, so troops would take as many as they could blag and carry, depending on the mission.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Number of LAW was variable, 6 would be for mobile operations. 2nd GPMG is friom the track, not often dismounted, Normal tactics were to have a 3 man "Gun Group" and 5 man "Rifle Group" in a section attack the gun group would fire whilst the rifle group would assault.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

sjb1001

Another couple from Vietnam; off table artillery for the US has no AP value, B52 referred to as 'high altitude strategic bomber' - I assume that restricts what AA/SAM can attack but nothing in the rules or special abilities to define it.

Big Insect

Quote from: sjb1001 on 26 May 2022, 12:22:32 PMAnother couple from Vietnam; off table artillery for the US has no AP value, B52 referred to as 'high altitude strategic bomber' - I assume that restricts what AA/SAM can attack but nothing in the rules or special abilities to define it.

That is taken into account by their Hits and Save values - but - again - let me check.
I'll also correct the off-table AP stats - generally they are usually the same as the AP stats with off-table units.

Many thanks

Smartbomb

Quote from: Big Insect on 26 May 2022, 07:19:41 PMThat is taken into account by their Hits and Save values - but - again - let me check.
I'll also correct the off-table AP stats - generally they are usually the same as the AP stats with off-table units.

Many thanks

Possibly covered by the statement on P. 16 on visibility and being out of range of all but the largest SAMs?

Big Insect

Yes - but it easy enough to put a clarification statement into the appropriate list in the Special Rules section around which size SAMs that is.

The Special Rules tend to be for one-off impacts on specific lists.
So the mis-fire on the Sheridan's for example was 'fixed' after Vietnam - so there could be the argument that the 'Misfire' mechanism should only sit in the American Vietnam list - not for the later use of the Sheridan (for example).

The intention is to produce a PDF 'ready-reckoner' long-list of all these various mechanism for down-load - but that will happen after we have the vast majority of the army lists locked down.

Cheers
Mark

JcDent

Hi, I just wanted to ask, what rules do letters A, R, and O stand for in unit notes/abilities?

The closest I can get is A for Amphibious and R for only fires in a 90 degree cone, which is weird for tanks.

I spent some time searching (case-sensitive, whole words) the rules PDF for it, but unlike S1, TI, H, I couldn't find anything that goes "marked by 'A'"