What the last rules set you played in 2022

Started by pierre the shy, 15 January 2022, 10:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - IACTA ALEA EST!
2) What armies were confronted? - 3rd Crusade vs Ayyubids
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 2
6) What went well? - The Frankish charge finally hit where and when I needed it to, with back-breaking results.
7) What could have been improved? - Lost Richard the Lionheart early on. But Philip took over to good effect.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

T13A

Hi

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Honours of War
2) What armies were confronted? - Russians v Prussians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - 'ish'. Still learning the best way to play the rules.
6) What went well? - The Russians deciding to frontally attack a brigade of Prussian Grenadiers backed up by a battery of heavy artillery.   :d 
7) What could have been improved? - The Russians deciding to frontally attack a brigade of Prussian Grenadiers backed up by a battery of heavy artillery.  :(

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Steve J

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - BKCII with some house rules.
2) What armies were confronted? - British vs Fallschirmjager.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Not by a long way.
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo.
6) What went well? - The British Recce got off to a good start, which certainly helped the attack go in. Using a weatherboard for the first time worked a treat.
7) What could have been improved? - Both sides command rolls, especially for the Fallschirmjager at the start.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: Steve J on 13 February 2022, 12:50:31 PM1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Two games of Divisions of Steel run by Si Hall at Leighton Buzzard
2) What armies were confronted? - British vs German LW armour then British vs DAK infantry in the desert.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - basics are same as MeG/ReG but some nice twists. So yes.
5) How many players were in the game? - 5 then 4 with 3 more watchin and Si umpiring. All in 10mm!
6) What went well? - The British moralecwas astounding. The Getman aim was devastating. The players are organising a second game for next week!
7) What could have been improved? - I need to paint more desert British infantry and platoon command stands for my DaK!

A good night. Lots of questions answered by playing the game.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

steve_holmes_11

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Mortal Gods and Mortal Gods (Mythic)
2) What armies were confronted? - Greeks Vs other Greeks, and Hades against Legendary Heroes
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - No
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes, first time out.
6) What went well? - The Historic match up felt sensible and balanced, the second game with mythological participants descended into a morass of fiddly special rules and power gaming.
7) What could have been improved? - Post match read through the rules revealed that we got quite a lot of detail wrong.

My Friend Hugh visited to test out Mortal Gods: https://footsoreminiatures.co.uk/collections/mortal-gods

The game is quite similar to a Samurai game called Test of Honour which we have played two or three times.
Test of Honour never really impressed me: each game featuring the leaders dashing about slaughtering the rank and file until the inevitable clash between the two surviving bosses.

Mortal Gods adapts the rules to better reflect the constraints of hoplite warfare.
 * Hoplite style rank and file can combine into bigger groups which enhances their staying power at a sacrifice of manoeuvrability.
 * Leaders can use their activation to command a unit, rather than dash about killing stuff - this brings a lot of balance.
 * The 4 die rolls for each samurai swordfight have been replaced by two - and a possible reaction test where one side loses badly.
 * Power differences between leaders and rank and file are less pronounced.

Our second game featured mythological forces (using the mythic supplement).
This re-introduced all the undesirables from the samurai game.
 * Wildly overpowered characters who can slaughter almost any rank and file unit at minimal risk.
 * Little incentive to command a unit when your leader can simply charge in and cause carnage.
 * Special rules pile on extra die rolls before and after combat.
 * It's likely to end with the opposed faction bosses going toe to toe.

Summary: Rather good core rules for historic skirmish. Poorly implemented supplement.

Steve J

2) What armies were confronted? - British vs Fallschirmjager.
6) What went well? - The FJ spoiling attack broadly worked, but at some cost.
7) What could have been improved? - The British command rolls and some more appearances by the Typhoon would have helped!

Chris Pringle

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - BBB - but with mods for the 18th century.
2) What armies were confronted? - Marlborough's army against the Franco-Bavarians - refight of Blenheim.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Took a couple of turns to get the hang of the rule mods - after that, great.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - First time with the rule mods.
5) How many players were in the game? - five.
6) What went well? - Rule mods worked very well to recreate C18 linear warfare. Game was good, ebb and flow and change of fortunes, key objective changing hands three times.
7) What could have been improved? - Would have been nice to set more villages on fire so Matt could use his battery-powered illuminated fire markers!

Full photo-AAR here: https://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/2022/02/blenheim-or-should-that-be-oberglau.html

Steve J

2) What armies were confronted? - British vs German Heer.
6) What went well? - The British Typhoon ground attacks and the flank attack by 'C' Coy, 7th SLI.
7) What could have been improved? - The German command rolls might have helped inflict some more casualties on the British.

Elliesdad

Quote1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - BKCII with some house rules.
2) What armies were confronted? - British vs German Heer.
6) What went well? - The British Typhoon ground attacks and the flank attack by 'C' Coy, 7th SLI.
7) What could have been improved? - The German command rolls might have helped inflict some more casualties on the British.
I'm looking forward to reading the full AAR on the blog Steve. Hopefully you'll have posted it by the time I'm back from Hammerhead tomorrow evening. What a way to look forward to spending your Saturday evenings, eh?
Cheers,
Geoff

Steve J

QuoteI'm looking forward to reading the full AAR on the blog Steve. Hopefully you'll have posted it by the time I'm back from Hammerhead tomorrow evening. What a way to look forward to spending your Saturday evenings, eh?

You hedonist Geoff ;)  >:( . The pics are uploaded, so all I have to do now is write up the AAR...

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

1) Battlegroup NorthAG
2) Soviet vs British US Army and USMC - latter 2 are unofficial
3) Very
4) Not exactly
5) 6 players
6) Overall the entire game played very well
7) nothing really.

Fun game for one of our club's occasional Saturdays. All the games were good and the day went well. We used 6mm it was nice to root out my veteran Soviet kit.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

T13A

Hi

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Honours of War
2) What armies were confronted? - British/Hanoverians v French
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Pretty much.
6) What went well? - My French massed battery of 3 guns blowing holes in the Allies centre and the French cavalry defeating the British cavalry
7) What could have been improved? - French 'inferior' infantry are next to useless in virtually all aspects of the rules (but maybe realistic?) Still not completely sold on these rules but I think that is partly down to how we are playing them.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

T13A

Hi

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - To the Strongest!
2) What armies were confronted? - Early Achaemenid Persians v Early Carthaginians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yep!
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No!
6) What went well? - Really hard fought game and loads of fun.
7) What could have been improved? - Should have kept my scythed chariots back a bit allowing them to get some momentum before crashing and burning on the spears of enemy hoplites.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

T13A

Hi

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - To the Strongest!
2) What armies were confronted? - Lancastrians v Yorkists
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No!
5) How many players were in the game? - 4
6) What went well? - A plan that actually worked (more or less)! Very exciting game and loads of fun, we lost part of our camp but still managed to win. One general on each side was lost to being wounded in the same combat.
7) What could have been improved? - Not losing three units of longbowmen in the same turn, but at least they had shot off most of their arrows.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!