WWII Soviet Quad Maxim AA Lorry

Started by alanl, 23 November 2021, 08:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanl

Any suggestions on a suitable proxy or how to fabricate one?

Steve J

Sorry, but no ideas on this one as I would like one too. One solution in the meantime is to use the following:

https://www.pendraken.co.uk/nvc5-n127mm-dshkm-with-crew-3-4497-p.asp

Not perfect but an option nonetheless.

John Cook

Quote from: alanl on 23 November 2021, 08:43:19 PMAny suggestions on a suitable proxy or how to fabricate one?

You could try scratch-building one by harvesting the relevant bits of the Maxim M10 from the Soviet or SCW ranges.  There is no proxy model I can think of.  Pithead do one in 10mm on a Gaz AAA truck but it is one of the 'limited edition' models so unless you are a regular customer I don't he'd be interested in selling just one.

Ithoriel

I've copped out and opted to collect bits to make a 12.7mm AA MG on a ZIS-5 truck. The MG and gunner are from the Vietnam range

VC5 12.7mm DshKM with crew (3)
£1.85 £1.54 (ex. VAT)
Pack contains 3 guns (3 barrels, 3 mounts, 6 crew)

The gunner's heads will take a bit of work or a headswap.

Truck is

SVV28 ZIS-5 truck
£2.95 £2.46 (ex. VAT)
Pack contains 1 vehicle (1 truck, 1 bed)

Would the VC gunner and tripod form a basis for a quad gun mod?

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steve J

That's my plan too Ithoriel. I'll also have one mounted on the ground for variety.

John Cook

Quote from: Ithoriel on 24 November 2021, 01:16:03 AMWould the VC gunner and tripod form a basis for a quad gun mod?

I would think so.  You'd still need the 4 Maxims, ammunition boxes and the strange shaped object between the tripod's legs, which I think is the water container.

alanl

alanl

Hope Pendraken does not mind me mentioning another supplier (if so, I have no objection to this being deleted), but I have found this:

https://www.red3miniatures.co.uk/product/zis5-with-maxim-quad-aa/

Not sure how compatible the two ranges of models are as I have not yet purchased.

John Cook

Quote from: alanl on 24 November 2021, 10:58:09 PMHope Pendraken does not mind me mentioning another supplier

You seem to have solved the problem.  I have not heard of this manufacturer before.

I haven't seem Leon make any policy statement in the context of giving competitors exposure on the forum, but they often are in thread like this one, where somebody is looking for a model that Pendraken doesn't make

sultanbev

I have some Red3 vehicles and they are very nice. Haven't purchased any of their infantry yet though.

alanl

Thanks for that.  Would you say that the Red3 vehicles are compatible with Pendraken, even if not in the same unit?

sultanbev

This is a Red3 Dodge command car alongside a Pendraken Dodge Weapons Carrier

alanl

Thank you.  While models from the two ranges might not necessarily sit comfortably beside each other in the same unit, the Red3 models should be fine.