The Bigger Move - Phase 2 begins!

Started by Leon, 08 October 2021, 12:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

2 steps forward and 1 step backward...

We've been working hard to keep progressing in the unit and getting the shop ready, but Storm Arwen had other plans and decided to give Pendraken HQ a whack.  A strip of the roof panels have come off completely, leaving the back office completely open to the elements.  Luckily it set the security alarm off so my phone pinged me and I asked Dave to go down and check on it.  Him and Mike managed to use some spare floorboards to patch the gap for now and we've got the insurance people calling me on Tues to get a proper fix sorted out.

The storm has lifted a lot of the other panels on the back half of the unit as well, so we've got loads of leaks coming through into the workshop again.

Quick video of the damaged section:

RoofHole1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

RoofHole2 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

RoofFix by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno II

:(

What a pain !! (Says Mr Understatement)

Home the insurance company get back to you today, Matey.

Cheers - Phil.

fred.

That's not what you want  :o :o

Good that Dave was able to at least cover the hole with a temporary solution. The many leaks in the roof sound like they may be more of a long term problem, as going to be hard to track them all down and fix them. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Orcs

That's really unfortunate.  Hope the insurance company is helpful

We had a huge water leak between the meter on the verge and the house - 2500 litres a day. The insurance company were really good. Allowed me to use a company suggested by me as they would use a "moleing" device and not dig up the new drive. They also paid the invoice within 3 days of me emailing it to them.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

DecemDave

Sorry to hear this.  I guess my purchase of a few bases and a can of spray paint at Warfare won't help much towards the repair cost. Hope the other customers were less tight fisted.

But your emergency response team were impressive and the whole move has shown that buildings can be fixed.  I can recall being on the roof of our 3 storey block of flats in a storm at 2am when half of the roof access door had gone sailing away into a nearby tree. And trying frantically to secure the remaining bits in place to prevent damage to our water supply tanks. Not something I ever want to repeat.

Leon

I've gone up this afternoon and put a tarp over the exposed areas to keep the rain out so we should be close to watertight for the timebeing.  The insurers didn't call today but I'll nudge them tomorrow.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fred.

Insurers are massively backlogged - so may take a while to get to you. But if you have stopped the worst of the weather getting in, that at least should stop too much internal damage. 

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leon

No updates on the roof yet sadly, we've been told we're on an 'urgent call back' 3 times now...  But they have told us that we can get some local quotes for the repairs and then they might just pay the invoice for us, so I'm chasing roofers.

Work in the shop has been slowed a little while we get the Christmas orders sent out but here's a few pics from the last few weeks of work.

The slatwall is all up and we've put the hooks on ready for some goodies! 

ShopSlatwall1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

ShopSlatwall2 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Over in the far corner the decals and paints will live here when we're not at the shows, and we've put the bookcases together ready for all those books.  That rack on the right hand side is ready for all of the MDF bases to go into those plastic tub/boxes.

ShopFinalCorner by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

And we've put together the Ikea-style shelves that'll form our counter.  There'll be a worktop going on the top and then a large image/hoarding/advert type thing across the front.

ShopCounterBare by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Steve J

Looking good and fingers crossed you can get the roof sorted soon.

fred.

The shop area is coming along nicely. It looks a big space. 

And I'm glad to see you have put in a wargamer sized door.

Techno II

QuoteLooking good and fingers crossed you can get the roof sorted soon.

Seconded !

Cheers - Phil. :)

Heedless Horseman

(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Orcs

That looks really impressive , even more so when fully stocked.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

DecemDave

I guess it wont help much but I don't need order 2998/021221/79
until way after Christmas. 
I ordered it to sate my addiction to shiny newness after forum members on another thread persuaded me not to waste money on Warfare inspired 2mm and 6mmMDF and 13.5mm epic cravings.  The 10mm paint bench is already busy for a good while yet.   :!!