The Bigger Move - Phase 2 begins!

Started by Leon, 08 October 2021, 12:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

You have been busy. THat looks really good

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Leon on 13 October 2021, 12:36:33 AM
Today we got the false ceiling supported and took off the remaining plasterboard on the partition wall.  We should now be able to get the supports out on Wednesday and get the ceiling gap filled in.  We've repositioned a couple of the radiators as well to make space for the slatwall installation.

And we've also had a skip delivered!  A nice big skip, ready to take a lot of junk!

ShopWallOut by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

I know you do some rubbish, but a skip for it ???  :d :d

Sorry couldn't resist
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leon

Today we got the rest of the wall out and filled up the skip a bit more.  The pipework for the resited radiator has been connected as well.

WallGone by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Skip by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Radiator by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

And just to illustrate the kind of electrics we've been dealing with in this place...  It's as if every single company that's occupied this building over the past 70 years has just put their own wiring in on top of what was already there.  We must have pulled out at least a mile or more of cabling so far.

SoManyWires by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Quote from: Leon on 14 October 2021, 01:07:06 AM

And just to illustrate the kind of electrics we've been dealing with in this place...  It's as if every single company that's occupied this building over the past 70 years has just put their own wiring in on top of what was already there.  We must have pulled out at least a mile or more of cabling so far.

SoManyWires by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Very carefully I trust !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

paulr

Quote from: Leon on 14 October 2021, 01:07:06 AM

I hope you get a good price for it at the metal recyclers - copper isn't chap at the moment
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: Lord Kermit of Birkenhead on 14 October 2021, 05:53:45 AM
Very carefully I trust !

Yep!  We've isolated the supply into the shop lights/sockets so we're OK there.  We'll get the light switch and a set of sockets moved onto the side wall tomorrow and then that'll be done.

Quote from: paulr on 14 October 2021, 08:48:44 AM
I hope you get a good price for it at the metal recyclers - copper isn't chap at the moment

A scrap van came around and bought the last lot off us so we might get something for this new pile, plus a few radiators and a load of steel!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fsn

Right - silly question - but that's the way my brain works.

Assuming you could strip and clean the copper cables, could you use them to make figures?

What would the properties of copper figures be? Would they take paint? Would they bend easily? Would copper work in the machines?

No practical application, just a mental exercise.   
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: fsn on 14 October 2021, 10:07:14 PM
Assuming you could strip and clean the copper cables, could you use them to make figures?

What would the properties of copper figures be? Would they take paint? Would they bend easily? Would copper work in the machines?

Afraid not, the melting point of copper is something ridiculous, way above the 270C that we set our melting pots. 

Orcs

Silly Replies

No, THe melting point of Copper is 1084° compared to lead aroud 327°

What would the properties of copper figures be?

Harder than copper and copper coloured

Would they take paint?

Yes I have used copper wire in conversions

Would they bend easily?

No

Would copper work in the machines?

I doubt  the melting pots could get a high enough temperature
The Rubber molds would burn

I havev now wasted 10 minutes of my employers time answeing your daft questions, .... But that probably makes me dafter than you.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

paulr

Leon

A time-consuming and fiddly job today as we got the timber screwed up and the false ceiling re-attached to it, but it looks a lot better now.  We now need to move the light switch and plug sockets over to the wall and then we can put all of the ceiling tiles back in and fit some white plastic trim over the timber beam to blend it in.

ShopGapFilled by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Weather permitting, Friday is going to be spent outside getting all of the weeds/vegetation strimmed and out before winter hits.  There's a load of debris from the initial fitting out that needs to go into the skip as well, so we'll get that sorted out. 

paulr

Big Insect

A very long time ago (back in my yoof @ college) I made a silver & gold plated Wars of the Roses chess set, as a commission for a client - using 20mm lead figures (possibly Minifigs) I made up rubber moulds that allowed me to cast multiple wax figures up. I then used the lost wax casting technique to cast the silver figures. They needed a lot of conversion and cleaning up, and then had to be carefully hand-polished, so as not to lose all the detail. One 'side' was then gold plated.

The board was made out of ebony and ivory (yes - I know - but back then we worried less about poor old jumbo!) set into a silver grid on a mahogany board. I had a nice polished rosewood box made for it all, with an inlaid silver plaque that was going to be engraved. It was some sort of recognition award, but I never found out for whom.

It was a nice project. I did try to sculpt some of my own 20mm wax figures - based on the Moorcock History of the Runestaff books - I loved the idea of the various insect and animal armoured 'orders of The Dark Empire of Gran Bretan - but my sculpting skills were woefully inadequate. They were too large and lumpy.

Never tried copper - but lost wax is your best bet for higher melting point metals.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Leon

Today we were all outside strimming, weeding, clearing and filling the skip!  It was a ton of work but we got most of it done in the end. There's just a bit more strimming to do on the far side of the car park where there's some chunky tree stumps to work on and then we'll get the jet washer on to the front of the building and clean up the brickwork.

The side of the building to the right has been piled high with wood/masonry/junk since we first moved in so it was nice to get this cleared.  The fence line to the left has got a 2ft gap between tarmac and fencing, so we'll shutter that off and fill it with concrete after winter.

ClearedQuadrant by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

The car park is a lot tidier for now but there's more to do here.  The strimming needs doing on the far side and then after winter we'll get the grass dug out properly and lay some fresh concrete to extend the parking area a bit.  We're then going to put some raised planters inside the front fence line and plant a load of wildflowers.

ClearedCarPark by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

I wish I'd taken a 'before' pic of this as it was a complete jungle down here and you could barely walk down it.  Everything's out now and we'll get the jet washer down there to clean the walls and get the moss off the floor.

ClearedAlley by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner