• great place to start...

and that's in the first 1:30 :-bd
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

I'm with Wilde on this one.

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

Norm

This has been a particularly well presented battle by Little Wars TV, well done them and a god shout out for Pendraken and the scale.

FierceKitty

There is only one thing in the world worse than a particularly well presented battle by Little Wars TV, and that is a not particularly well presented battle by Little Wars TV....I wish I hadn't said that....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Corse there is no such thing as bad publicty ........
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Westmarcher

22 September 2021, 09:18:34 AM #7 Last Edit: 22 September 2021, 09:21:14 AM by Westmarcher
There's a case for this post topic being moved to the Rules section. Another good video from the guys in Pennsylvania. The stars of the video were the wonderfully painted Pendraken minis (and the custom made terrain). 👍  

I read in the comments that LWTV were inspired by "Loose Files and American Scramble" - an old free set of relatively simple rules that I have heard good reports about.  The 4 pages plus a QRS promises simplicity and with a host of simple mechanisms, definitely comes across as being a very easily picked up rule set.  For example, simple movement, D6s only and 5s and 6s throughout for combat results, etc. A little like Fire & Fury in terms of the 4 unit formations and variable unit sizes. Similar to Honours of War in terms of rallying of 'hits' although in LFOD's case, 'DMZs' (no dice required + free rally if over 12 inches away + additional if a commander is nearby). Penalties for not only 'being burst through' by friendly retreating troops but also retreating past within 3 inches looks like an interesting mechanism. I'm not overly keen on the variable move for charges governed by a roll of two D6, however.

I'm not sure they highlighted this but actually the rules are scale agnostic when you consider that all measurements are in inches and their base sizes are 1 inch wide - Base Widths, effectively - so whatever scale and however your collection is based, in theory, you should be able to play these rules. At $17.76 (hard copy), that's about 13 quid (UK)? Not too far off the price of an Osprey? But add extortionate U.S. postal charges and it's a different matter. The pdf version knocks it down to a more attractive price (but I'm not a great fan of pdf versions).

Nevertheless, the rules do offer the promise of an easy to learn, fun game with an acceptable level of historical flavour and written by guys who are experienced wargamers so, who knows, depending on how my AWI collection evolves, I may take the plunge in future - but alas not yet.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

John Cook

jimduncanuk

My Ego forbids a signature.

Gwydion

22 September 2021, 12:16:36 PM #10 Last Edit: 22 September 2021, 12:21:16 PM by Gwydion
See first post in thread :) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3UR03Sf-SI from Brandywine thread

DHautpol

Quote from: FierceKitty on 22 September 2021, 04:57:24 AM
There is only one thing in the world worse than a particularly well presented battle by Little Wars TV, and that is a not particularly well presented battle by Little Wars TV....I wish I hadn't said that....

You did, Fierce Kitty, you did.
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Gwydion on 22 September 2021, 12:16:36 PM
See first post in thread :) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3UR03Sf-SI from Brandywine thread

Still too many talking heads. gave up after a couple of minutes.

Just give me pictures of the figures and the game and maybe a nice background tune.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 22 September 2021, 07:11:46 PM
Still too many talking heads. gave up after a couple of minutes.

Just give me pictures of the figures and the game and maybe a nice background tune.

Maybe YouTube isn't the site for you.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 22 September 2021, 07:55:07 PM
Maybe YouTube isn't the site for you.

I recently watched and rewatched a YouTube video about painting SLUDGE figures.

There were no talking heads but plenty of voiceover chat, explanations of the action in view and lots of encouragement.

Not quite the same as the Brandywine video I admit but it entertained and educated me without a doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ_jcgaq5vU