What the last rules set you played in 2021

Started by Steve J, 06 January 2021, 02:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldenBUA

It just so happens that I've been playing the digital edition lately. Fun game, and I got it when there was a special offer on GOG. It's still not very expensive. Playing the boardgame back in the day was fun too.

https://www.gog.com/game/talisman_digital_edition
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Ithoriel

My memories of Talisman are mainly of 1st edition games played with Trish and Ally Morrison (as they were then) and Paul and Lynn Henni ,which were functionally endless as anyone who got even remotely ahead was nuked to oblivion by the other players. Great evenings at Casa Morrison, great fun had but it was rthe company not the game that had me hooked.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno II

Quote from: Ithoriel on 10 April 2021, 07:32:06 PM,which were functionally endless as anyone who got even remotely ahead was nuked to oblivion by the other players.

THAT sounds familiar !  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil. :)

Leman

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Honours of War
2) What armies were confronted? - Prussia and Austria
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, I've been playing them since they were published.
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo
6) What went well? - An exciting game in my current campaign was produced. Things went well for the Austrians.
7) What could have been improved? - The Prussians were tasked with assaulting an emplaced siege battery on a ridge which had additional infantry support both on the ridge and on the lower ground to its left. A difficult task compounded by some apalling dice rolling from the Prussians - are the blue dice jinxed.

End of the game showing Prussians in retreat, outflanked and disordered.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mmcv

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - To The Strongest
2) What armies were confronted? - Aztec and Tarascan
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Nope
6) What went well? - barely had to check the rule book. Aztec plans went exactly as they wanted.
7) What could have been improved? The Tarascans had some poor activations, particularly on the flanks.

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,20781.msg324744.html#msg324744

pbeccas

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Fistful of Lead
2) What armies were confronted? - Finn patrol v Soviet patrol
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 2
6) What went well? - the game flowed well, six figures per side, no issues
7) What could have been improved- nothing.  Very satisfying

fred.

Quote from: pbeccas on 19 April 2021, 03:08:48 AM
1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Fistful of Lead
2) What armies were confronted? - Finn patrol v Soviet patrol
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
6) What went well? - the game flowed well, six figures per side, no issues
7) What could have been improved- nothing.  Very satisfying

This sounds intriguing- we have used FFoL for cowboys, but have been thinking about other eras, and WWII could certainly be one of them
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? -IACTA ALEA EST!
2) What armies were confronted? - Macedonians and Scythians
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - not a bit of it
6) What went well? - My Argyraspids caught a unit of undeployed HC in the rear; my Companion cavalry got nutcrackered but fought them off.
7) What could have been improved? - Just about everything else. An almost featureless battlefield, perfect for LC; an ill-judged Massagetae charge that broke a line of hoplites; a stray arrow that killed Alexander. Lee's gloating. Especially Lee's gloating.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Honours of War
2) What armies were confronted? - Red vs Blue, with Austrian stats for both sides.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, I've been playing them since they were being developed.
6) What went well? - Another good Neil Thomas OHW scenario as a basis for the action. Red got the upper hand on the shooting front when it mattered, which turned the game in their favour.
7) What could have been improved? - The tactics I chose for the Blue Attacker didn't work well, but hindsight is a wonderful thing! A good scenario that I might replay to see if a different approach may have paid better dividends.

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Ten more sons!
2) What armies were confronted? - Yorkist and Lancastrian.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, I've been playing them since I binned my copy of DBR.
5) How many players were in the game? - Two
6) What went well? - Lee got some dismal rolls when she needed good ones.
7) What could have been improved? - So did I. I have also thus far failed to find any Malmsey in Bangkok.

Shedman

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? Future War Commander via  Tabletop Simulator
2) What armies were confronted? Space Marines  vs Hunter Scavengers (Orks) in Scenario 1 Colonisation - Recce
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? Sort of - it's over 2 years since we last played
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? No we've been using them since they were published in 2009
5) How many players were in the game? Three - 2 Marines and 1 Scav
6) What went well? For the  Marines most things although their recce couldn't interface with the alien structures - not so for the Scavs as the Marines stayed away from their ambush points
7) What could have been improved? The Scavs could have done with some transport