Crimean War Russians base coat

Started by mmcv, 08 April 2020, 11:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

08 April 2020, 11:51:30 AM Last Edit: 08 April 2020, 12:01:18 PM by mmcv
I've fifty-odd bases of 2mm Crimean War Russians in need of painting and to save time I'm planning to combine primer and base coat for an all in one sweep, then just a bit of highlighting with the brush.

I've seen a variety of colours for the uniforms but the main bulk seem to be a dark green top with white trousers, so the plan is the airbrush the lot in a darkish green primer, dry brush the ground, then a line of white and a line of flesh for face and trousers.

Any good suggestions for what primer colour would be best? There are some Vallejo green primers that might work, such as Russian Green (though its more of a tank colour I believe so may be too light) or Nato Green, but would be open to other suggestions.

Another possibility would be to mix one of my existing primers with a dark green paint, though I suspect that may thin it down too much and prevent proper adherence. Anyone tried this before?

toxicpixie

I though the Russians overwhelmingly wore the great coat in that buff/beige colour when in the field?

I think only the Rifles had green coats showing, but I could be wrong - it's a while since I checked and as all the figures for both my own and commission Crimea have been in greatcoat that's what they got :D

Although I did use the green on my skirmisher base for BBB to make it more obvious :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

mmcv

Interesting, not sure where I got the idea that they were all green, maybe some crossed wires from earlier in the century.

toxicpixie

I've no idea where any of my references are now, so they may have been allegedly supposed to have jacket of green with the great coat on top as needed, but just ditched the underjacket full stop/always worn the great coat, or may have ditched the green by then - I honestly can't recall!

But a quick web search of pics and uniform books shows everyone in great coat, not a green jacket in sight...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

mmcv

Yeah. My searching had brought up a mix of both, but this is my first real foray into the period so not the most knowledgeable on these. I'd assumed the greatcoat was more of a bad weather thing over the uniform than the uniform itself.

I've not painted them yet so beige it can be!

toxicpixie

They'll likely pop better in 2mm - the light colour will stand out better than the dull green... and 2mm needs all the help for that it can get!

mmcv

Yes very true, I was concerned that the green might be a bit hard to make out against the base. No such concern with buff.

toxicpixie

You could go a very light green I guess - it's not like you're painting buttons on 28's or something - I think my solitary base of Sevastopol Rifles is actually nearly Lime green so they stand out :D

mmcv

That had been my initial thought, go with very light. But I'm sure the buff will do the job. I've some green primer ordered anyway on the basis that it'll be handy for the bases. Can spray the lot with that then buff up the actual units. At 2mm there's certainly no button details needed!