Black Powder 2

Started by Leman, 22 August 2018, 09:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Yes indeed, and the sad thing is some will end up on Ebay at inflated prices.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Norm

Hmmm - investments, e-bay, now I'm really getting a fancy - but wait, I also need the collectors edition of BKC-4

:)

Leman

Is that the one with the platinum embossed Crusader on the cover, the gold leaf page edging and the handy silver thread page markers to enable quick reference? I believe it also comes with two solid silver 10mm dice.

Dr Dave

24 August 2018, 12:39:39 PM #18 Last Edit: 24 August 2018, 12:59:56 PM by Dr Dave
I just don't get it - why are people apparently disconcerted by the cost of a book that that they do not want?

The normal version is still the same price as the old one.

It does seem a little ironic to me that we're on the Pendraken website discussing this. I bought my copy of BKC3 over a year ago and still haven't got a useable set of rules.

I bet none of us have moaned at Aston Martin about the price of a new DB9?

Leman

Are you American? This is irony.

Dr Dave

Leman

Did you write Glory Hallelujah? - if so it is far and away the most impressive supplement in the BP stable (although have to admit to not being a big Napoleonic fan  - so not read those) and has become the go to for my smaller scale regimental battles. And yes, it is the standard version of BP2 that I would consider.

Dr Dave

Yes, that was me.  :D  but I don't work for WG.

Glad you like it - obviously my favourite 19th century gameing era.

BP2 is going to be different, but not hugely, more like tweaks and clarifications. There's a nice Kernstown scenario.

Norm

Tease!

Enjoyed the Glory Hallelujah book, I hope one of the changes to BP2 is the inclusion of your GH rule that if you make more than one move, you can't fire. I know some gamers have changed the sequence of play to put fire before movement, but I prefer your solution.

I'm obviously not expecting you to comment on that. Look forward to a Kernstown scenario.

Leman

Yes that Kernstown scenario will give me a chance to get my Jackson figure on the table again.

steve_holmes_11

Bought it, hoping for a rules summary, a few fixes and a bit less of the cod Victorian gent' cobblers.
I like Black Powder.

The fixes are rather fewer than I expected, and some don't fix the issues they set out to address.
It may be me, but the cod-Victorian cobblers appears to have increased.
No rules-summary A-la Hail Caesar.

I've a sour taste that reminds me of the time we were expected to buy all the records we already owned but now on CD.

Cavillarius

I bought version 1 for 16 euros at Crisis, but I'm thinking about restyling the whole thing as a flow chart.

Norm

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 23 November 2018, 06:34:55 PM

I've a sour taste that reminds me of the time we were expected to buy all the records we already owned but now on CD.

Even better / worse ! you can buy them all on vinyl again. :'(

As for BP2, on reflection, it just feels like a ruleset that hit one of it's print run endings and rather than just do another run, they decided, 10 years on,  to review and do a new edition.  What I mean is that BP1 is still fine and that perhaps the audience for the physical BP2 rule set are those who have yet to buy the rules, or those that use and like it so much, that they may want to replace their old book. Perhaps BP2 just needed to supplant BP1 over a period of time, not an overnight replacement. 

The idea that BP2 was 'needed' by BP1 owners may have been a misplaced view that fell out of the marketing. I am guessing there are plenty of people eager to pick up a good copy of BP1 for £5 - £10.

The BP fan base may have been better served with a small and concise supplement that outlined the updates to the BP1 audience and then BP fans could choose as and when to do a full ruleset replacement.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Norm on 24 November 2018, 05:51:08 AM
Even better / worse ! you can buy them all on vinyl again. :'(

As for BP2, on reflection, it just feels like a ruleset that hit one of it's print run endings and rather than just do another run, they decided, 10 years on,  to review and do a new edition.  What I mean is that BP1 is still fine and that perhaps the audience for the physical BP2 rule set are those who have yet to buy the rules, or those that use and like it so much, that they may want to replace their old book. Perhaps BP2 just needed to supplant BP1 over a period of time, not an overnight replacement. 

The idea that BP2 was 'needed' by BP1 owners may have been a misplaced view that fell out of the marketing. I am guessing there are plenty of people eager to pick up a good copy of BP1 for £5 - £10.

The BP fan base may have been better served with a small and concise supplement that outlined the updates to the BP1 audience and then BP fans could choose as and when to do a full ruleset replacement.

Norm,

You summed up my feelings, far better, more logically and less emotionally than I managed.
Have a like and a +1.

Steve J

QuoteThe idea that BP2 was 'needed' by BP1 owners may have been a misplaced view that fell out of the marketing. I am guessing there are plenty of people eager to pick up a good copy of BP1 for £5 - £10.

Rather like SAGA 2, which appears to have a few tweaks but not markedly different from the original. I had been keen to have a look at SAGA, but was put off by the price. Searching for second hand copies of the original rules, I came across a brand new copy for £5.00 plus P&P, for a total of £7.71, about the price of an Osprey ruleset these days. So no need to buy any of the supplements as the battleboards will probably do me for the amount of time I will get to play these rules. However it appears most of the original supplements are not compatible with the new rules, so may find these going damned cheap in the future.