Facebook: Friends of the Tank Museum

Started by fsn, 20 July 2018, 01:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

An Australian Centurion Mk V/1 tank of the 1st Armoured Regiment, Royal Australian Armoured Corps, guarding the approaches to the 1 Australian Task Force base located at Courtenay Hill. This particular vehicle has been named 'SLEEPER' and has been fitted with a dozer blade. The crew members' sleeping quarters is visible (left) and a hootchie has been set up as a sun screen over the turret. A bucket shower is also suspended from the barrel.

South Vietnam. June 1971. A Centurion tank of C Squadron, 1st Armoured Regiment, moving through the jungle. The Squadron supported soldiers of 3rd and 4th Battalions, The Royal Australian Regiment (3RAR and 4RAR), in Operation Overlord on the border of Phuoc Tuy and Long Khanh Provinces, to the north of the 1st Australian Task Force Base (1ATF) at Nui Dat.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

paulr

That first one would make an interesting mini diorama, not that many people would believe it was 'historic' ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

From the Alresford Heritage site. It is a small market town in Hampshire and are marked as taken in 1925. Vickers Medium MkI`s and I believe Dragon artillery tractors in the 2nd photo.

https://www.alresfordheritage.co.uk/alresford-photo-collection/military-history/index.html

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

fred.

Cool photos, those Dragons look huge compared to latter carriers.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Very interesting, possibly part of British Army Manoeuvres. 50,000 troops take part in "Great War of 1925" between Mercia-Force - v. Wessex-Mobility. Somewhere in Hampshire.

Pre-dates the Experimental Mechanized Force by a couple of years :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

John Cook

Good find.  They are indeed Dragon Medium Artillery Tractors MkII, the second one seems to towing a gun.  Also interesting is the half track leading the column which, I think, is a Crossley-Kegresse 15cwt Artillery Battery Staff Car.

fsn

First shown last month, the prototype replacement for the Wiesel in Bundeswehr service.
This is the GSD LuWa Technologies demonstrator.
Airportable with hybrid technology power plant and a quad track layout.

It's so Cuuuuuuuuute and dinky :)

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Westmarcher

Intriguing in a number of ways - e.g.,the quad track arrangement, the British Army's Scimitar going out of service in favour of a heavier vehicle and the German Army introducing what superficially appears to be an updated equivalent(?).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

steve_holmes_11

It looks to tick all the ugly boxes at once.

Lord Speedy channelling The Chieftain there...

sultanbev

"It's a bootiful tank"
which clearly this isn't.
Quad tracks ideas are not new and the Russians did the whole quad-track thingy applied to tanks back in the 1980s, clearly a much prettier design:
http://btvt.info/7english/object_490_21_vek.htm

although the object 279 was another variation on the theme, actually produced in the 1960s:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_279

Raider4

QuoteQuad tracks ideas are not new . . .

Clearly not. The MoD tried in 1952, according to the info board.