Senior Chinese officer in winter dress

Started by Sunray, 14 February 2018, 06:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

I have seen an image of a senior Chinese officer, marching at the head of his regiment, he is dressed in greatcoat, jackboots, Sam Brown belt
and holster and Russian style Ushanka hat.

Can anyone source it ?

Techno is on the final big push of ALL the Korean figures this week.

Keep 'er lit Phil  :-bd

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

Thanks Nobby - and yes, you are right.  This image is NK !

I could not remember if it was Korean or Chinese .  I will check my notes.  The Senior officers did were stylish greatcoats.

Right - the correct Korean war image  we want is of a group of Chinese officers in double breasted greatcoats with fur collars and a variety of headgear.
There is a sentry and a large tent with a stove chimney in the background.   :) :)

I would add a simple pair of binoculars to give the figure Senior Officer status.

fsn

You're taking the Mick out of poor old Nobby now, aren't you?

:P

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

fsn

Techno

Can't be.
James didn't make any mention of an oil drum in front of the window (?).

Thanks, Nobby. You're an absolute star.  :-bd

And thanks too, to James, for the notes he mailed me this afto.
(I don't think I'll quite have everything finished by Friday......But very early next week.  <:-P <:-P <:-P <:-P)...including the couple of 'extras'.

Then it'll take me about a fortnight to pack everything up an mark all the wee boxes with what's in them, for Leon.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil :)

fsn

As you may be able to tell, I do love a bit of research.

Are you thinking Mao cap or furry hat? ... or even peaked cap?

I, as always, am thinking of proxies. Mao cap could be used as a cap wearing winter civvy from the 1920s(?) to 1960. Furry hat could be used as Eastern European civvy  from the 1920s(?) to 1980.

If I could find a pic of a Chinese general in a homburg, we'd be on for some Harry Lime action.  :D

Sunray

Quote from: fsn on 15 February 2018, 07:43:59 AM
As you may be able to tell, I do love a bit of research.

Are you thinking Mao cap or furry hat? ... or even peaked cap?

I, as always, am thinking of proxies. Mao cap could be used as a cap wearing winter civvy from the 1920s(?) to 1960. Furry hat could be used as Eastern European civvy  from the 1920s(?) to 1980.

Well done Nobby !    I suspect the Furry cap is a Very senior officer. I would sculpt him with right hand raised from the elbow.  A sort of Red Square wave to the passing troops. ? 

But hey- whatever pose a figure kitted out like this is one hell of a proxy !

Steve J

I'm really looking forward to these ranges for some Cold War style gaming. No idea on scale of conflict yet, but probably skirmish level to keep it manageable.

Sunray

You can do a lot with BKC and a few modifications for new weapons like RR.  I also have had to re-appreciate the Sherman M4A3E8 which was usually more than a match for the much vaunted T34/85.

The beauty about the Korean range is that it will allow early NATO - although we will need a small range of 1950s era Soviet and WP types.

However, lets do Korea first.  :)

Matt J

QuoteNo idea on scale of conflict yet, but probably skirmish level to keep it manageable

Definitely plenty of scope for skirmish games particular later in the war along the static lines, forward patrol contacts, lots of hills taken and bunker/trench line assaults.

Looking forward to it, lots of Chinese to paint though!
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Sunray

For my African 1950s bushwar, I have sourced a number of N and O gauge railway tunnels and converted into a small 4ft long "Mountain range" , with road passes, river gorges etc in between.

I have to say it works well in representing "mountain " terrain in the same token way as 20- 30 trees represents a Vietnam jungle.

Smoking gun

Quote from: Sunray on 16 February 2018, 12:03:25 AM
For my African 1950s bushwar, I have sourced a number of N and O gauge railway tunnels and converted into a small 4ft long "Mountain range" , with road passes, river gorges etc in between.

I have to say it works well in representing "mountain " terrain in the same token way as 20- 30 trees represents a Vietnam jungle.

Sounds interesting, any chance of some photos?

Thank you and regards,

Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.

Sunray

Quote from: Smoking gun on 16 February 2018, 11:39:00 AM
Sounds interesting, any chance of some photos?

Thank you and regards,

Martin

They will come - just waiting for a few more bits to arrive (Leon says they are in the post). The Henkel Dam/power station and river will complete the tiles. :)