For Korea, BKCIII or wait for CWC?

Started by lowlylowlycook, 28 March 2017, 07:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowlylowlycook

I might be tempted by the new Pendraken Range and the presence of an Ethiopian Battalion in the UN forces to do something in Korea.

So do people plan to use BKCIII with the new range or is CWC better suited?

Matt J

Hi

Had a chat with Leon about this at WMMS. Looks like Korea and other immediate post war conflicts up to 6 days war will be covered by a later supplement to BKCIII as the kit used was mostly WWII.

CWC would then look at conflicts from late 60's onwards - October war, Vietnam, Cod war hot, Falklands etc.

Sounded like a rational plan to me  :-bd

Matt
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Sunray

Quote from: Matt J on 28 March 2017, 07:42:55 PM
Hi

Had a chat with Leon about this at WMMS. Looks like Korea and other immediate post war conflicts up to 6 days war will be covered by a later supplement to BKCIII as the kit used was mostly WWII.

CWC would then look at conflicts from late 60's onwards - October war, Vietnam, Cod war hot, Falklands etc.

Sounded like a rational plan to me  :-bd

Matt

And logical - would you retain the BKC AT/AP values as opposed to the CWC "Attack" values ?  A lot of WW2kit - for example the T34/85 is scaled down in value in CWC as the chart has to cover more weapon values Thus the AT 4/80 & AP 3/80 becomes 3/60 .  For those of us old brigade who cut our teeth on BKC, I prefer the AT/AP value system.   Good to see it applied to 106RR and other kit.

It would be good to include as  you suggest  Suez (1956) and indo China and Castro's revolution (1959) in BKC . 

Matt J

QuoteCod or Cold War?

Not heard of that one? I'm sure I've got some info on that somewhere, I'll have a fish about for it  ;)
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

toxicpixie

Sunray, Pete was intending to re-do CWC to BKC II style split AT/AP stats shortly before he sold the range on - the barrage of excited over enthusiasm probably helped the desire to sell  :o  :- ???

Don't know what his notes were like, but I reckon Leon could knock up a CWC II in a couple of days ;) *ducks*
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leon

Quote from: toxicpixie on 28 March 2017, 09:29:45 PM
Don't know what his notes were like, but I reckon Leon could knock up a CWC II in a couple of days ;) *ducks*

Yeah, you'd better duck...!   :D

We didn't get passed any of the notes about CWC II so we'll be starting that one using BKC III as our base.  The initial plan was to put the Korean War into a separate supplement ready for the launch of our new ranges, but I'm not sure what to do with French Indo-China as that obviously came first chronologically.  We'll put it on the list to work out after BKC III is out there...

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

toxicpixie

As I've quite a bit of French-Indochina stuff I'll be very interested to see that!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Sunray

Quote from: Leon on 28 March 2017, 11:53:35 PM
Yeah, you'd better duck...!   :D

We didn't get passed any of the notes about CWC II so we'll be starting that one using BKC III as our base.  The initial plan was to put the Korean War into a separate supplement ready for the launch of our new ranges, but I'm not sure what to do with French Indo-China as that obviously came first chronologically.  We'll put it on the list to work out after BKC III is out there...

Its earlier, but a lot less kit, and 99% WW2 . The only  academic task is awarding A/P and C/A values, and frankly that's not rocket science.
My Easter Bush war (1960s) will be waged with BKC on steroids.
The weakness with CWC is that the wide range of kit meant that a lot of AVFs and APCs were given the same generic value with regard to hits and save.
You do need to be cognisant of thicker armour and things like overhead protection.   Open topped APCs are vunerable to lowly weapons like mortar bombs/ HE in a way enclosed APCs are not.
Korea: As research into the Sherman M4 A3E8 in Korea has shown, it was a match for the T34/84. Particularly with better crew training.  This is one reason why the IDF was content with the M50 until the Arabs upped the game with the T54/55s

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I always use 1956 as the cut off, since that's when the US Army retired it's Shermans, whilst the Taiwanese fired the first AAGW in combat. There will some duplication of kit, but it's not practical to make it compatible between the sets.

IanS

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

You have a few 'little' hot  wars like Suez, Indo China and Indian invasion of Goa, which are of a WW2 nature.  Guided missiles are a game changer as indeed is the shift to semi/full auto personal weapons.  A squad with assault rifles - even the FN/SLR which is not an assault rifle - can lay down withering fire from a section not seen in WW2.

Would it be an idea to brand the Korean Supplement as Post War Commander ? Include Korea and the three mentioned above.

From the advent of AAGWs and MBTs (late 1950s with qualifications) you could have Modern War Commander - as the weapons and tech changes so does the rules.  The Iraqi Republican Guard at 73 Easting were deployed according to the (rule) book by 1970s/80s WP tank doctrine.  But the US had thermal imaging. Game and rule changer.

lowlylowlycook

OK, BKCIII with new lists sounds great.  Thanks for the info, everyone.

But lets's leave Newfoundland out if it.

Sunray

Or even Iceland !  The UK fought a bitter "cod war" against Iceland in 1975. At one point the Royal Navy had 17 destroyers and 19 frigates deployed in supporting the right of British trawlers to fish the disputed waters,

toxicpixie

Unless Leon wants some more rules writing fun the Cod War is a bit wet for land based rules like the Commander series :D

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021