Forum Soapbox

Started by getagrip, 04 March 2015, 08:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

17 September 2021, 01:16:56 PM #285 Last Edit: 17 September 2021, 01:21:18 PM by Heedless Horseman
TIME! Just 'popped up to the shops'... then it hit. FIFTY YEARS AGO,.. same shops... Ma would have got me  'Victor!' and 'Look And Learn' comics... then we would have popped into 'Carousel' Gift Shop for an Airfix kit to keep me quiet while she bought a scarfe or something.
Now, Ma, pretty much 'cabbage' and me, not far off...  'surviving' on booze and tabs... if you can call tit that.
DEAR GOD!  :( :( :(

So... peeps... treasure little memories... and enjoy what there still is. And, if you have little Kids / Grandkids... indulge...they will be here. too someday.  :o :)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Ithoriel

An ex-colleague had a wooden block, with the following inscription or something very similar, on her desk. 

Sing like noone is listening, dance like noone is watching, love like your heart has never been broken .... and live like this day is your last because sooner than you'd like that will be true!

Advice to live by ... if only I could manage it! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

I hate that "live this day as if it were your last" one. Nobody would ever start a book, learn to play an instrument, fall in love, lay down a bottle of wine....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

The full verson, according to my maternal grandfather, is

Plan to live forever but live each day as though it was your last.

Better, FK?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

Schizophrenic, but answers the objections.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Heedless Horseman

17 September 2021, 03:56:39 PM #290 Last Edit: 17 September 2021, 04:14:57 PM by Heedless Horseman
Not Poetic, or profuond... but just F*****g enjoy it, while it lasts!  ;)
"Went The Day, Well?"

Steve J

I try and make the most of my day, no matter what I do. Since retirement/redundancy, I certainly haven't been short of things to do!

steve_holmes_11

But Mousie, thou art no thy-lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men
          Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
          For promis'd joy!

Still, thou art blest, compar'd wi' me!
The present only toucheth thee:
But Och! I backward cast my e'e,
          On prospects drear!
An' forward tho' I canna see,
          I guess an' fear!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Steve J on 17 September 2021, 05:47:16 PM
I try and make the most of my day, no matter what I do. Since retirement/redundancy, I certainly haven't been short of things to do!

Got to agree - retired and got more work than I was getting whilst on UC cest la vie....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

hammurabi70

Quote from: Lord Kermit of Birkenhead on 18 September 2021, 05:26:44 AM
Got to agree - retired and got more work than I was getting whilst on UC cest la vie....

More work or less energy?  I thought so too until I realised that when I was younger I had a much greater work rate.

Heedless Horseman

LOL. When working...when younger... used to try to get 'work' done, out of the way... and THEN 'coast' ... unless something else happened. Got annoyed when others would 'spin things out'... and then, when s**t happened, it would be a BIG pile.  >:(
But... I had this 'weird' idea that, when You got older... there would be 'young 'uns' to do the heavy graft. However, By Then...there weren't. Just You. And more of it.  :o

Think I would still have been 'ploughing through'... though, at 59, getting tired... but Job cuts meant VR 5 years ago. Then... carer for Ma. Be warned... if there is 'just You'... it's a Killer.  :o :(

Booze and Tabs... get you through... but NOT a 'long term solution'. lol. Pretty much 'knackered' now. 'Strange' thing is... there 'can ' be a 'plateau'... (Often in the 'early hours'!), when you can  'GET OFF YOUR A**E''... and DO Things!  :) But... it Does Not Last... so NOT a viable 'Work Plan'.  :(

If You and Yours have the chance for retirement with 'Roses round the door'... just, maybe, take it?

Techno II

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 19 September 2021, 06:38:58 AM
Then... carer for Ma. Be warned... if there is 'just You'... it's a Killer.  :o :(

For Von's Mum......There were the two of us, Keith...and it was still bloomin' hard !!...What it's like for just one person on his or her own ......! X_X

Cheers - Phil. :)

Steve J

My Dad tried to look after Mum when her dementia got really bad, but just couldn't cope on so many levels, with her condition so bad she ended up in a home. Not ideal by any means but it comes to a point where you cannot manage, both mentally and physically anymore.

Heedless Horseman

Yeah. Thanks for thoughts, guys. BUT... it's 'Hold The Line'... until there is Nothing left to Hold anymore. Ain't there yet! just, things ain't Good. :)

Techno II

Best of luck, Keith.

Cheers - Phil.