Warband Rules and figures - Now available!

Started by Leon, 18 February 2015, 11:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Quote from: getagrip on 19 February 2015, 03:10:29 PM
Is that's because it's in "bold?"

Kind of, it's not bold but the letters are filled in which requires more time and a different method by the machine.  With engraved outlines of lettering, it will simply draw the lines as a person would with a pen, no bother.  When the letters are required to be all filled in, the laser machine does side to side sweeps across the MDF instead, with the laser flickering on and off as it makes each pass, slowly building up the letters from the base up.  This is the time consuming bit, but the solid letters look so much better on the finished product.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Fenton

Quote from: Leon on 19 February 2015, 03:13:12 PM
Kind of, it's not bold but the letters are filled in which requires more time and a different method by the machine.  With engraved outlines of lettering, it will simply draw the lines as a person would with a pen, no bother.  When the letters are required to be all filled in, the laser machine does side to side sweeps across the MDF instead, with the laser flickering on and off as it makes each pass, slowly building up the letters from the base up.  This is the time consuming bit, but the solid letters look so much better on the finished product.

8)

Would a blank token and a free felt tip pen be easier?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Hamish

I've just finished reading the rules cover to cover. Very impressed, especially with the variety and versatility of the army lists, as well as the acknowledgment of allies and mercs. Can't wait to give this a try. I may have missed something, but I wish there were rules specifically geared towards sieges and the destruction of defences and buildings by artillery/powerful monsters.

Leon

The Warband rules have jumped straight to No.4 on the Wargame Vault 'Hottest Titles' lists! 

http://www.wargamevault.com/index.php

:-bd

Quote from: Hamish on 19 February 2015, 07:37:26 PM
I've just finished reading the rules cover to cover. Very impressed, especially with the variety and versatility of the army lists, as well as the acknowledgment of allies and mercs. Can't wait to give this a try. I may have missed something, but I wish there were rules specifically geared towards sieges and the destruction of defences and buildings by artillery/powerful monsters.

Thanks for the comment, glad you like them!  I'll let Chieftain reply re the siege options.

Chieftain

Quote from: Hamish on 19 February 2015, 07:37:26 PM
I may have missed something, but I wish there were rules specifically geared towards sieges and the destruction of defences and buildings by artillery/powerful monsters.

There is quite a bit of additional material that didn't make it into the final cut of the rules.  There was a lot of discussion around format, page numbers, what to put in and leave out to give a decent set of core rules. 

It's safe to say that siege warfare was bumped. 

Who, knows, we may see something along those lines in the future.   :-\

Fortified terrain nearly made it in, with the ability to garrison a small castle, but the idea of having a full city, with walls etc. was tried, but not fully developed.  Mostly because...well...who has a full 10mm city with walls to put on their table?!   ;D
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

Hamish

Quote from: Chieftain on 19 February 2015, 10:59:41 PM
Mostly because...well...who has a full 10mm city with walls to put on their table?!   ;D

Yes. Who indeed *sweats nervously*. But seriously, I like the streamlined nature of these rules. There's the fluffly stuff like magic and monsters but when it boils down to it, it seems like tactical thinking will be more important in Warband than anything flashy like that. I like the formatting of the book, though in the army lists section, under the options area I would have bolded the special rules that are in the midsentence like you have done with unit names in the unit descriptions. For example under options in the Goblins & Orcs section the top line reads 'The chieftain unit may have fierce for +5pts or shieldwall for +5tpts' Id have bolded fierce and shieldwall. Also in the undead section it starts out 'The sour lands' which should be capitalized as 'The Sour Lands' if it's a proper noun. Finally on the back cover there seems to be a missing 's'; 'Warband provide all the rules you need to...' surely it should read 'Warband provides all the rules...' All this is really just me being a massive pedant though, I'm just trying to help, seriously no offence meant.  :P

Chieftain

None taken!

Hopefully you'll find that tactical skill will win you your games.   :)

Ithoriel

Quote from: Chieftain on 19 February 2015, 10:59:41 PM
Mostly because...well...who has a full 10mm city with walls to put on their table?!   ;D

Well, I've managed it in 6mm.

Leon ... I MAY need some bigger bases :D :D :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

AndyT

I've taken the plunge and bought a PDF of the rules.

I will order a starter army later today - probably Goblins/Orcs because they are new and I am drawn to new shiny toys !

I suspect that a friend of mine may go for Barbarians but that might depend on where the miniatures are in Pendraken's "revamp" queue.

The biggest challenge I think will be deciding what to do to make the big unit bases look special, with terrain and maybe some battlefield clutter.

Leon

Quote from: AndyT on 20 February 2015, 04:09:37 PM
I suspect that a friend of mine may go for Barbarians but that might depend on where the miniatures are in Pendraken's "revamp" queue.

The biggest challenge I think will be deciding what to do to make the big unit bases look special, with terrain and maybe some battlefield clutter.

Your friend might be happy quite soon then...  ;)

The big bases look excellent, we're just finishing up the first of our painted sets for the website photos and the 25-foot packs fit really nicely onto the bases.

8)

AndyT

Good news on the Barbarians but I don't think a 25-foot pack will fit in my letterbox  ;) :D

Chieftain

20 February 2015, 04:40:02 PM #28 Last Edit: 20 February 2015, 04:41:34 PM by Chieftain
Quote from: Leon on 20 February 2015, 04:18:10 PM
Your friend might be happy quite soon then...  ;)

The big bases look excellent, we're just finishing up the first of our painted sets for the website photos and the 25-foot packs fit really nicely onto the bases.

8)

They certainly do.  

It's almost as if there was an experiment-based design decision behind choosing 100x50mm.   ;)

And barbarians?  Mammoths and bison-riders, and hawk-men?  What's not to love?   :x

Leon

Quote from: Chieftain on 20 February 2015, 04:40:02 PM
It's almost as if there was an experiment-based design decision behind choosing 100x50mm.   ;)

:D